[GUIDE] Mi 10 (umi) - my process for installing weekly ROMs

Iain_B

Members
Mar 25, 2013

I am fortunate in that I so very rarely get the problems (eg. battery drain, slow/lagging apps) that other people suffer from. I am aware that the weekly ROMs are BETA, and so can have bugs in them. Whilst I constantly use my phone for internet and other apps, I do not 'push' it by having, for instance, a different launcher, or dual apps. Neither do I play games, and I successfully use Magisk.​

Everything that is meant to work, does work. My phone is not critical, eg. for work. I do not use Mi Cloud for backups, nor do I log in. I have gone over to Google for Contacts and Calendar.​

Maybe others can get ideas from what I do to help their own weekly installations go more smoothly.​
Some may consider some of the stages unnecessary, but as I say, I do not suffer the problems that some others do.​

Preparation and Backup
  • (Titanium does two automatic backups per week - one backup the night before the new ROM comes out);
  • Download new ROM to PC (currently using JDownloader) [The update app to the root folder can also be quite fast]
  • Clear phone memory1 and run Cleaner;
  • Clear Recents;
------------------------------------------------------------ for Android 12 - see below
  • (Fastboot) 2 Boot into TWRP;
  • Clear Dalvik, cache and delete data/system/package_cache (and currently data/extm 3) folders;
  • Full TWRP (except cache) backup (this for me is almost 23 Gb);
  • Reboot into system;
  • Full backup to PC (including TWRP and Titanium backups and logs and other files) using MyPhoneExplorer.
ROM installation
  • Transfer new ROM from PC to phone (if not already done);
  • Clear phone memory1 and run Cleaner;
  • Clear Recents;
  • (Fastboot) 2 Boot into TWRP recovery;
  • Clear Dalvik, cache and delete data/system/package_cache folder;
  • Install new ROM, (and Magisk 4);
  • Reboot into System (may take several minutes);
  • Sometimes do a second reboot which is normally much faster.
My normal reboot takes under 50 seconds - that is shut down and restart, back to the lock screen.

1. 'Quick function' widget
2. TWRP is now no longer being included with the weekly umi ROM. See below for TWRP options. Ordinary methods to get into TWRP (Power menu; Pwr & Vol+)
3. This folder is currently deleted to stop a 'createTarFork() process' and 255 error during TWRP backups.
4. Not necessary if you are not rooting your phone.

Android 12 installation
This is the alternative installation until a suitable Recovery/TWRP is developed
  • make sure that your ADB drivers are installed and up-to-date
  • unzip the ziaomi.eu_....fastboot.zip file
  • boot your phone into Fastboot (Pwr & Vol-)
  • connect your PC to your phone with USB cable
  • open the command prompt box on your PC from your unzipped file folder
  • to confirm your phone is recognised, enter fastboot devices
  • run the corresponding ...._fastboot_update_rom.bat (update) or ...._fastboot_first_install_with_data_format.bat (wipe) fille
  • [there is an error during this process - Writing 'storsecbak' - FAILED (remote: '(storsecbak) No such partition')]
  • there will be a very long delay during the installation as the 'super' file is installed
  • the phone should reboot when it is finished.

A note on TWRP backup
This is as complete a backup ('nandroid') as I have found. It backs everything up - system; apps; their data; icons & widgets, but not my own files. If ever I am testing anything, or doing anything risky, I do a TWRP backup first. I may then back this up (copy it) to my PC for extra security.​
When restored, this backup puts me back in exactly the position I was in - including icons and widgets, and security.​
I have also used this restore following both full stock ROM re-installations, as well as Factory resets. The restore has always been totally successful - so successful, in fact, that most banking apps do not even need to be re-registered.​
I occasionally do Factory resets after I have taken a backup, and then do a restore. This is really just to tidy things up. When I restore, everything is neat and tidy, and back to as it was, but possibly better! (see below)
TWRP:
List of Recovery apps in one place
List of Mi 10 (umi) Recovery apps
My recommended for Mi 10 - 3.5.2 (ManuelBianco)
- also ManuelBianco 3.5.1 - MBTWRP, found here.

My occasional 'Tidy-up' process
  • (Have TWRP installed, your latest ROM loaded and at least 28Gb spare storage)
  • Tidy up memory and run Cleaner;
  • Clear Recents;
  • Boot into TWRP recovery;
  • Clear Dalvik, cache and delete data/system/package_cache (and currently data/extm 3) folders;
  • Full TWRP backup (this for me is almost 23 Gb);
  • (option to copy TWRP backup to your computer);
  • Factory reset (if done from within TWRP, your own files are not deleted);
  • Restore backup just taken;
  • Install ROM, (and Magisk 4);
  • Reboot to System;
  • (optional second reboot).

Last edited:
Wow, very nice!
I would probably add swift backup as a modern alternative to titanium backup which supports split apks. Also, some times, I download the rom straight into my device with free download manager app and flash it through twrp.

Reactions: Iain_B
Wow, very nice!
I would probably add swift backup as a modern alternative to titanium backup which supports split apks. Also, some times, I download the rom straight into my device with free download manager app and flash it through twrp.
Yes - there are alternatives. It's a copy of Titanium Pro that I've had for a few years, and so I can schedule it in the background. The main principles that I wanted to show are the memory tidying up processes which I think a few people miss out. And I think that it could be these that can cause some of the peculiarities that some people experience - I don't!
[Edit: ... and the backups.]

Last edited:
Hey,

Quick question about Titanium Backup,

I've been using it for many years, and thats one of the only reasons why I root a device.
Since Mi11 Ultra (Many weekly roms ago I have noticed, issue persists up to date) -

I'm unable to copy the backed up content to a different folder.

eg- I cant copy the titanium backup files to my PC, using USB, or copy it internally to another folder using root explorer.
Have you noticed any such issue ?

Screenshot of error attached as well, This is PC.
On RootExplorer it just says denied.

Attachments

• usb error.png
    usb error.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 245
Hey,

I've been using it for many years, and thats one of the only reasons why I root a device.
Since Mi11 Ultra (Many weekly roms ago I have noticed, issue persists up to date) -

eg- I cant copy the titanium backup files to my PC, using USB, or copy it internally to another folder using root explorer.

1)Try to force stop TB and retry.
2)Rename the files and retry (and rename again)
3)Boot into twrp and do it from there. (This may work.)

Hey,

I have no problems backing up the Titanium files to my laptop. I use MyPhoneExplorer to backup all my files.
If I copy manually, I use Windows Explorer. I have just copied some of the Titanium from my phone to my Titanium backup folder - over a USB connection. No problemo. I just copied some of the files using a basic File Manager.
I've also just copied and pasted some of the files to a different folder, using Root Browser. Again, no problem.
To the laptop is through the cable I use for Fastboot, and charging also, into a USB hub, and into a USB 3 port. But my phone is a Mi 10 (umi).
I'm trying to think if there are any settings that may affect the copying of the files.

I have the Max Backup history set to 2. You can set it up to 50 - all residing in the same folder. Any one particular backup is separately accessible and restorable. So you should not really need to copy anything to a separate folder. I back up my Titanium files to my laptop only because I back all the other files up.

I think I will use TWRP to copy the files for now.
I'll check the folder permissions from TWRP as well..

Reactions: Iain_B
Kinda wonder what's gonna happen now that in August apps will come in .aab format instead of .apk. Will tb manage to package them in .apk? Swift backup will probably get an update, but things are a bit hard for both tb and helium... Uhh, helium was ~the only way one could backup their apps on non rooted phones, apart from adb commands which might be hard to use..

Reactions: Poney70
Kinda wonder what's gonna happen now that in August apps will come in .aab format instead of .apk. Will tb manage to package them in .apk? Swift backup will probably get an update, but things are a bit hard for both tb and helium... Uhh, helium was ~the only way one could backup their apps on non rooted phones, apart from adb commands which might be hard to use..
Has the .aab format started to come in yet? I am not particularly aware of it, nor of any changes around it.

Reactions: Blastboom Strice