Invalid Mi 8 wrong display resolution

vcdwelt

Members
Apr 14, 2019
Hi,
it seems the Mi 8 has a wrong Display size in build.prop since a few releases (or even longer).

Suggested fix i found:
- mi8 display size: Build prop: "sys.display-size" set to "2248 * 1080"
- in developer options change smallest width to 390

Thanks to @tsongming for pointing this out.

Maybe this could be fixed, or is there any reason for the different configuration?

You need Root to change this File...

It is located in /System/build.prop

I have used Mixplorer to edit the file.
Without any root you can copy/modify/paste this file with your computer.
Just extract it with TWRP file explorer to sdcard and replace it after modification.
EDIT: I forgot to say to be careful doing that way.

Without any root you can copy/modify/paste this file with your computer.
Just extract it with TWRP file explorer to sdcard and replace it after modification.
EDIT: I forgot to say to be careful doing that way.

Ah, ok. As you said: you have to be careful. You have to be aware of the correct rights, type etc of the file afterwords etc. But yes - it should work.

ok i've done this ! what do I have to expect int he changes ?

my phone is not rebooting ! what can i do ?

ok i reinstall the ROm, everythings fine again !

Last edited:
Here are one of my observation:
e.g. Browsing a Forum with Chrome opens a Info field at bottom, where i can choose, if i will Continue using Chrome, or Open the TapaTalk App. Without Changing the display size in props, the Message it partially out of Screen. After Changing the value, it fits perfectly.

Noticed the same behaviour in some other scenarious, happen not really often.

Maybe some other could also post their findings.

I just really don't see what you mean here, seems fine for me... (Mi 8)

Screenshot_2020-03-29-20-39-47-123_com.android.chrome.jpg

Ok, very Strange. Exactly this Pop-Up i was talking about.
Before changing the display-size value the Buttons "Open" and "Continue" where outside the visible area. After Changing it was fine (like yours).

Maybe something was messed up on my device and the change was clearing any temprorary value or some internal settings. Didn't t a clean flash for a longer time.
Maybe i find tomorrow the time to check this with changing the screen size back to initial value again.

Ok, very Strange. Exactly this Pop-Up i was talking about.
Before changing the display-size value the Buttons "Open" and "Continue" where outside the visible area. After Changing it was fine (like yours).

Maybe something was messed up on my device and the change was clearing any temprorary value or some internal settings. Didn't t a clean flash for a longer time.
Maybe i find tomorrow the time to check this with changing the screen size back to initial value again.
Probably, else I would have noticed the issue long ago. But then I never play with the "Smallest width" setting, I just leave it as it is.

Reactions: vcdwelt
Here are one of my observation:
e.g. Browsing a Forum with Chrome opens a Info field at bottom, where i can choose, if i will Continue using Chrome, or Open the TapaTalk App. Without Changing the display size in props, the Message it partially out of Screen. After Changing the value, it fits perfectly.

Noticed the same behaviour in some other scenarious, happen not really often.

Maybe some other could also post their findings.
Hi,
I have a wiew of the two choices : either Chrome ou the appl, since ever !

For Android Auto the correct sizes are also important, otherwise the display is reduced.