Mi 9 SE, 10.3.3.0 PFBCNXM ROM, unable to allow or block (at the dialog) location permission to Chrome.

jarijantti

Members
Aug 11, 2019
Not sure if this is a bug, but when I open (in Chrome) a page of a website, that asks for a permission to use your location, I'm unable to click Allow or Block as if I couldn't get a focus to the dialog.
Firefox, Opera and Edge browsers do not pose this problem.
For example check this site with Chrome https://www.where-am-i.net

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-10-21-17-03-496_com.chrome.beta.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-10-21-17-03-496_com.chrome.beta.png
    171 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
btw, I'm rooted with Magisk v9.3.
Magisk Manager -> Magisk Hide does not list Chrome as an application in the list (Firefox is listed)

We're not the developers of Chrome...
Sarcastic comments may have their place..elsewhere.
If I had a choice, I wouldn't touch these Chinese Android mods (MIUI, EMUI, etc.) even with a long stick.
I bet 99.9..% of users would be just fine with Android One.

We're not the developers of Chrome...
And I know you're not the developers of Instagram either.
Try to add a comment to an IG post by pasting something from the clipboard. The copy/paste/select all -dialog is all black.
BTW, Instagram is the #2 most popular app in Google Play Store.
MIUI should work flawlessly with the most popular Android apps, shouldn't it.

Interesting observations.
Is Chrome part of the system and not an app already?

Try turning off Full Screen Gestures and see if it works then.
Just a guess.

Google (Chrome) of course wants to access your location to sell your data to advertisers.

Xiaomi.eu ROMs do a good job of helping you shut that down, and disabling Xiaomis own advertising also.

Interesting observations.
Is Chrome part of the system and not an app already?

Try turning off Full Screen Gestures and see if it works then.
Just a guess.

Google (Chrome) of course wants to access your location to sell your data to advertisers.

Xiaomi.eu ROMs do a good job of helping you shut that down, and disabling Xiaomis own advertising also.
No help with Full Screen Gestures off..and I love the gestures anyway, so I keep them on.
I know when and how to use my location, thank you.

But, I found a quick workaround to permit location for a web page:
While having the 'allow/block location'-dialog on the display, swipe/tap 'Back' and then tap the lock symbol at the address bar. You can access Chrome site setting from there and allow location access.

Sarcastic comments may have their place..elsewhere.
That's for me to decide, not you. You're forgetting your place on this forum.
And it wasn't a sarcastic comment. You said that with Firefox, Opera and Edge it works fine, which means it's a Chrome-specific issue and frankly, I don't care why. Google doesn't pay me to fix their specific issues, so use a different browser for all I care.
If I had a choice, I wouldn't touch these Chinese Android mods (MIUI, EMUI, etc.) even with a long stick.
I bet 99.9..% of users would be just fine with Android One.
Oh but you had a choice, and you chose to buy a MIUI-powered device! Go get yourself an Android One device if that makes you feel better.
And I know you're not the developers of Instagram either.
Try to add a comment to an IG post by pasting something from the clipboard. The copy/paste/select all -dialog is all black.
BTW, Instagram is the #2 most popular app in Google Play Store.
Indeed, we are not the developers of Instagram, and we have nothing to do with how well it works with MIUI.
MIUI should work flawlessly with the most popular Android apps, shouldn't it.
Tell that to Xiaomi, the guys you paid for your device, not me. I already do more than enough, I don't need you to give me instructions.

Reactions: ingbrzy
I have an AOSP Android 9.0 based ArrowOS ROM in my spare cell phone Zuk Z2 Pro. In my old LG G5 I have LineageOS 16.
Chrome and Instagram work on them just fine and their versions/builds are exactly the same with the ones in my MI 9 SE.
So, I fail to see why this would be a Chrome- (or Instagram-) specific issue and not a MIUI-specific.

You wrote "..Tell that to Xiaomi, the guys you paid for your device, not me. I already do more than enough, I don't need you to give me instructions. "
At your site's About us (down below) you state "Since 2010 our web site has officially worked with Xiaomi on a variety of projects for APP translations and bug fixing and is a major part of today's Xiaomi Global ROM experience thanks to the great team at xiaomi.eu and its community. "

I use XIAOMI.EU ROM in my 9SE and that's why I reported to this forum something that looks like a bug (in ROM) to me. If your co-op with Xiaomi has since developed a more distant nature, you might want to update your 'About us'.

Best regards,
Mr. Jari Jäntti, Finland.

Last edited:
I have an AOSP Android 9.0 based ArrowOS ROM in my spare cell phone Zuk Z2 Pro. In my old LG G5 I have LineageOS 16.
Chrome and Instagram work on them just fine and their versions/builds are exactly the same with the ones in my MI 9 SE.
So, I fail to see why this would be a Chrome- (or Instagram-) specific issue and not a MIUI-specific.

You wrote "..Tell that to Xiaomi, the guys you paid for your device, not me. I already do more than enough, I don't need you to give me instructions. "
At your site's About us (down below) you state "Since 2010 our web site has officially worked with Xiaomi on a variety of projects for APP translations and bug fixing and is a major part of today's Xiaomi Global ROM experience thanks to the great team at xiaomi.eu and its community. "

I use XIAOMI.EU ROM in my 9SE and that's why I reported to this forum something that looks like a bug (in ROM) to me. If your co-op with Xiaomi has since developed a more distant nature, you might want to update your 'About us'.

Best regards,
Mr. Jari Jäntti, Finland.
Xiaomi doesn't even recognize us as a fansite anymore, let alone work with us, so "distant nature" is an understatement.
"About us" was untouched for years, and yeah, should be updated. Still, we're not the address for any third-party app compatibility issues with MIUI.

Interestingly, I faced this issue too. The permission dialog buttons can't be pressed if there are any apps which are displaying (drawing) overlays on top of the dialog. This feature was on Android 5.0 till now (it's an Android security feature). I turned off Quick Ball and now I can press button of permission dialog normally :)
Try to turn off "Draw over apps" permission for some apps (i.e Messenger chat-head,…) to see if it works.

Interestingly, I faced this issue too. The permission dialog buttons can't be pressed if there are any apps which are displaying (drawing) overlays on top of the dialog. This feature was on Android 5.0 till now (it's an Android security feature). I turned off Quick Ball and now I can press button of permission dialog normally :)
Try to turn off "Draw over apps" permission for some apps (i.e Messenger chat-head,…) to see if it works.
Thank you for the hints.
I haven't used Quick Ball and I hesitate modifying the Special app access -security category. I'd rather think apps should ask for the permissions (btw, managing these is a complete mess in MIUI/Pie) they need.
I'm ok now with the workaround I found:
"While having the 'allow/block location'-dialog on the display, swipe/tap 'Back' and then tap the lock symbol at the address bar. You can access Chrome site setting from there and allow location access"

Oh but you had a choice, and you chose to buy a MIUI-powered device! Go get yourself an Android One device if that makes you feel better.
To my knowledge a cell phone of MI 9 SE form factor with amoled display and Android One does not exist. Add a programmable RGB notification LED to that and it would be a perfect phone for me.