Invalid [Mi 9 SE][9.7.4] Pocket mode option is hidden in Settings app

ruvlad

Members
Jul 7, 2019
I use two devices with clean installed xioami.eu 9.7.4 (Mi 8 Pro & Mi 9 SE).

At the very end of the list of settings in "Ambient display & Lock screen" there's this "Pocket mode" (Lock touch gestures when placed in a pocket) switch.

But only on Mi 8 Pro (on Mi 9 SE this switch is hidden).

On Mi 9 SE if I try to find this switch through the search box, I come across a link to the "Display" subitem, but there is no such parameter (Pocket mode) either.

You come with the assumption that all MIUI-based devices are the same and should have the same features, which is nonsense.
The simple answer: Mi 9 SE, or specifically its ultrasound proximity sensor, doesn't support Pocket mode.
You are not alone. Devices like Mi MIX 2S and Mi MIX 3 also suffer from that issue. Quickest way to know whether the device has such sensor is to check if a /vendor/etc/elliptic_sensor.xml file exists, which on Mi 8 Pro it does not.
You can send a 'thank you' letter to Xiaomi and Elliptic Labs (the brand behind that proximity sensor) for depriving you of that essential feature.

Reactions: Alemancillo
Same problem with Mix1, which also has a ultrasonic proximity sensor.

The solution is to use a good flipcase, which you really need anyway for protection.

I think it is a completely nonsense.
Mi 9T and Mi 9 also have an UltraSonic proximity sensor but they have an Pocket Mode option and there are no random display quirks.

Why developers do not implement it to Mi 9SE ?!?!?!?!
Now we can use CustoMIUIzer app through EdXposed YAHFA to enable this option