Mi Box 3 (s905) Root Guide

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by passerby, Apr 24, 2016.

1. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    But, this white box has totally different SOC chipset and more Xiaomi security tricks.... Root process is very involved...

m.morcielago likes this.
  2. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    The mi box 3 stated a Firmware update although I did not intent it to do so.

I didn't have root before the update and I certainly have no root now.

- 360Root does not work;
    - KingRoot does not work;
    - Kingo Root does not work.

In short: it seems I am unable to get root, and I am almost at the point that I am willing to through the damned device in the bin !
    Please help me out, Thanks for trying...

San_7 and m.morcielago like this.
  3. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    What do you plan to do that calls for root access?

m.morcielago likes this.
  4. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    #29Kees Podt,Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    I just want to:
    1. Get rid of all Chinese bloatware;
    2. Make it behave as a 'normal' Android device with Google Play;
    3. Install Kodi;
    4. Install Netflix.
    I guess I need root....

m.morcielago likes this.
  5. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015

m.morcielago and Kees Podt like this.
  6. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Thank you miboy.
    Now I only have to obtain the freaking root...

m.morcielago likes this.
  7. San_7

San_7Members

Jul 14, 2016
    Male
    Bangalore, KA
    #32San_7,Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Well I second you, I am unable to root it with 1.4.15/1.3.114 (downgraded with system restore). There are a few other tutorials which further downgraded the FW rooted finally. Well I wont do that coz 1.3.114 itself is buggy and would not detect USB drives. Root via USB ADB/APK both have failed.
    Looks like the really bad decision to buy this now and I have reached a point that even bricking this dumb box wont paint me at all.

Kees Podt likes this.
  8. San_7

San_7Members

Jul 14, 2016
    Male
    Bangalore, KA
    Guys,

Finally I had some progress or a small breakthrough without root.

I got to run my Youtube/Gmail/Chrome with my Account signed in.

Play store still does not work and I cannot see not the Pair option in my youtube app yet.

So read below only if it interests you.

I started with searching "Run GAPPS without root" and came across the below blog to understand what was happening.

forum.xda-developersDOTcom/kindle-fire-hdx/themes-apps/how-to-install-gapps-root-t2954372

I upgraded my FW from 1.3.114 to 1.4.15 back again and installed the APKs (from above link)in the specific order and restarted after each installation.

Further assigned the permission as specified via ADB bridge.

Even after this sign in did not work, so decided to enable logging in my mi box and pulled out the log via logcat command where

I spotted this - W/GooglePlayServicesUtil( 7671): Google Play services out of date. Requires 7895000 but found 6599070

E/GooglePlayServicesUtil( 7671): GooglePlayServices not available due to error 2.

At the time of error I had Play services app at 6.x.x version and tried to update it to the latest 9.2.56 which did not work either.

So tried installing a newer version 8.7.03 which actually got installed. Opened the youtube app and voila- I had my account signed in Youtube.

Below are the versions of APKs running in my system.

Chrome-38.0.2125.114 (updated further and works)

Gmail-5.0(1569867)

Google Account manager- 4.0.3 (239410)

Google Play store - 5.1.11

Google services framework -4.0.4-338691

Google Play services - 8.7.03(2645110-30) - this is not from the APK link.

I further updated all the APK except the play services frame work via and App ‘9 Apps’. Found this nifty .

Let me know if you need the APKs.

I will continue to research to further get the play store running.

Kees Podt and m.morcielago like this.
  9. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Great work San_7, well done.

At the moment I am on Holliday and therefore I can not attempt to follow your directions since the mi box is at home :)

I think it would help if you would provide one zip file which contains all relevant apk and an accompanying readme which basically sums up the steps you already wrote down in your previous post(s)...

It would speed up the process a lot... At least it would for me. Supposing you would provide a link to this magic zip file then this would happen..... As soon as I am at home again, I will download the zip file and follow the readme directions to the letter. If all goes well I should be up an running in no time !

I will reply here when I am back home again.

Thanks again for your pioneering work, I for one really appreciate it!

Cheers ko3st

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

San_7 and m.morcielago like this.
  10. San_7

San_7Members

Jul 14, 2016
    Male
    Bangalore, KA
    #35San_7,Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Alright –

The APKs. The Firmware does not matter (I did on 1.4.15) as no rooting is required.

1. Set up the ADB bridge (Android SDK manager) on windows (if you use windows), you will only need Android SDK Tool, Android SDK Platform – tool, un-tick the rest unless you need .
    Link- (wont let me post links)

SDK_link.png
    2. From the APK zip install these in this order and restart after each installation
    Link for download, wont let me post links
    APK_link.png

In Seq-
    Google Account Mgr

Google Services framework

Google Play services

Google Playstore

You tube

Gmail

Google Plus – Mine did not work

Chrome, google search etc.

3. Enable developer mode and usb debugging for ADB to work

Connect your device via USB and it should be detected, I manually created male to male usb cable (by using a micro usb and a mouse cable), you may do so too or buy one.
    IMG_20160723_215942.jpg

Start the ADB shell and execute these commands – See the attached picture, wont let me post links

commands.png

4. Restart, sign in to play store, it will sign in and rest of the apps should be able to access your account. Enjoy Youtube.

I could further not research on this. Note about point 1& 3,I did these as they were recommended by the post I used and did not bother to check if it really could be a problem. However the android log (enabled in box) did tell me that my play services were out of date and needed upgrading (error -W/GooglePlayServicesUtil( 7671): Google Play services out of date. Requires 7895000 but found 6599070 ).

Well I could not pair the TV youtube with phone app, however from ios (Tubee- via mirroring ,tubio - via DLNA) and android (Tubio - via DLNA) I was able to cast youtube videos.

preuss and Kees Podt like this.
  11. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Still not at home, but here is my reply in one word:
    Wow!

Thanks. Can't wait to try it when I am home again.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

San_7 likes this.
  12. mcexc

mcexcMembers

Aug 4, 2016
    Male
    Thanks San_7, worked well with my Mi Box 3 with the latest firmware. I can sign in Youtube now.

Kees Podt and San_7 like this.
  13. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Hi San_7,

Finally at home...
    I can start Gmail and Netflix right from the home
    screen, so that alone is great by itself!
    However, this is not yet the case for the Play
    Store, or YouTube.

I followed your steps to the letter, but I am not sure how the last item in step 3 works or what it does for what installed
    apk...

Question1: Do I need to run this same after each installed app?
    pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS

Question2: Do I need to change it to accomodate each
    apk?
    Perhaps for Google Account Mgr it would come down to this:
    pm grant com.google.android.GoogleAccountMgr android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS

Anyway, at the moment, after I click the Play Store Icon, I get this message “Error retrieving information from
    server. [RH-01]”

In short, whatever I do, I keep getting Error retrieving information from server. [RH-01] from the play store.
    Question3: What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time and effort!
    Cheers, ko3st

14. San_7

San_7Members

Jul 14, 2016
    Male
    Bangalore, KA
    Hello,
    For play store to work we indeed need root, I could see a permission being denied in the log file which only seemed to be granted after the device is rooted.

However your youtube should work and you should be able to sign in if the tasks are performed in order as it worked for me.
    1) This permission has to be assigned only once after you have finished installing all APK in the order.
    2) No it need not be changed because these seemed to be just a single one for all app.
    see this example and its not related to what we are doing here, just posted to explain the context.

upload_2016-8-13_19-48-26.png

3) Only the order i can think of, try using the latest youtube apk because it works for me

Attached Files:

15. Kees Podt

Kees PodtMembers

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Hi San_7,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Apperently, previously I accidentally changed the order in a false order...

I did it again, but this time made sure to truely get it in the right oder :)
    And now also YoutTube is working. Thanks again.

Please tell everybody if / when and how you rooted this device :)
    Cheers, k03st

San_7 likes this.
  16. UziPa

UziPaMembers

Aug 18, 2016
    Male
    hi guys, i bought my mi box 3 yesterday, glad to see the thread is alive and well, tnx for that, ill inform you if im successful or not also. i have the cortex A53 Quad version with 1.4.15 firmware. im a bit worried

17. UziPa

UziPaMembers

Aug 18, 2016
    Male
    hi guys, its me again, this thing is pissing me off, i cant go into the recovery. im doing it over and over again Center + Return then plug power but still booting to Mi screen then to Home... MDZ-16-AA with firmware 1.4.15

18. UziPa

UziPaMembers

Aug 18, 2016
    Male

im confused with the tuitorial because he is using a fire pro... can you make a simpler instructions?

19. Madhu Singh

Aug 24, 2016
    Male
    Can i flash Xiaomi MiBox 3S firmware on to Xiaomi MiBox 3 to get English ???

20. Madhu Singh

Aug 24, 2016
    Male
    MiBox 3S (MDZ-16-AB) is the US version of MiBox 3 (MDZ-16-AA)

Can i flash Xiaomi MiBox 3S firmware on to Xiaomi MiBox 3 to get English ???

21. UziPa

UziPaMembers

Aug 18, 2016
    Male
    do you
    have a download link for the ENGLISH version?

22. Madhu Singh

Aug 24, 2016
    Male
    No UziPa, I do not have a download link for the ENGLISH version.
    If you have any such link, kindly let me know....Thanks.

m.morcielago likes this.
  23. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    You can change language for EVERY mi box, dont need root. Use apk com.nosapps.android.langswitch copied to USB thumb drive or place the apk somewhere on your local network share.
    Start videoplayer from homescreen and use file browser to find langswitch apk.
    (Screen will be in Chinese at this point but icons are easy to understand.)
    Next apk you should install is ES File Explorer, which will give you true file browser capacity
    Hint:You can use this method to 'sideload' any valid android apk.

24. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    FYI MDZ-16-AB is the upcoming S905x based ANDROIDTV box, using 2GB/8GB memory component and a special version of AndroidTV OS which is optimized for Leanback paradigm, and is designated as simply MiBox!!!

The MiBox 3s (MDZ-16-AA) is using an advanced Mediatek SOC so its firmware will not be possible to use with Amlogic S905 SOC as found in Mibox 3 (MDZ-09-AA).

Please stop posting confusing and misleading information about Xiaomi model numbers.

If all you want is to switch menu language to English, it is a simple enough task and does NOT involve rooting.

Kees Podt and m.morcielago like this.
  25. Madhu Singh

Aug 24, 2016
    Male
    Thanks miboy .... the confusion is cleared... :)

Share Our Site