Mi Box 3 (s905) Root Guide

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by passerby, Apr 24, 2016.

1. dharmesh11

dharmesh11Members

Oct 16, 2016
    Male
    i have mi box 3 mdz 16-AA with latest update which is 2.4.2(149). i cant go to recovey mode by pressing ok + back button also tried home + menu button. is it due to software update or what? plz help i want to root it.

2. San_7

San_7Members

Jul 14, 2016
    Male
    Bangalore, KA
    wait for 10 mins after you unplug the power.

dharmesh11 likes this.
  3. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Remove battery from your remote to break pairing.

dharmesh11 likes this.
  4. Naugrim83

Naugrim83Members

Oct 18, 2016
    I have exacttly the same problem, I cannot access into recovery mode, I tried everything already :(

Any idea why?

Thank u in advance.

5. dharmesh11

dharmesh11Members

Oct 16, 2016
    Male
    I could enter in to recovery after removing battety and breaking pairing.thanks miboy.

6. Madhu Singh

Aug 24, 2016
    Male
    Dharmesh, were you able to root your device ?

7. dharmesh11

dharmesh11Members

Oct 16, 2016
    Male
  8. Madhu Singh

Aug 24, 2016
    Male
    That is great man ... can you list out the points exactly how to go about it... starting from pressing OK and Back keys ..
    and then which GAPP software to use after rooting with KingRoot...

This would be a great help dear ..

9. dharmesh11

dharmesh11Members

Oct 16, 2016
    Male
    Copy firmware to 32 fat formatted usb,plug it,switch off box, remove battery of remote and again install it, now press back plus ok button, firmware will start installing, after reboot, stop intelligent update(in setting find it)..then plug usb to usb cable with box to computer...star usb debugging..now install king root andfollow step for rooting.
    After rooting install gapps by following this link
    http://en.miui.com/thread-257142-1-1.html

10. JK_XIAOMI

JK_XIAOMIMembers

Nov 7, 2016
    Hi, I have successfully downgraded mi box 3 mdz 16-AA from 2.4.2 to the recommended v..106 as per this thread. When restarting directly after KingoRoot I get stuck on bluescreen at start-up not able to load the FW, with only option to fall back to higher FW version from boot menu. Q1: KingoRoot (PC) seems unstable, any ideas on other root options (could not find valid 360Root for Win10)? Q2: Alternatively: any new workarounds to install Google Play without root? My goal is to get rid of bloatware and install GAPPS.

11. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    #61bingo123,Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Got the exact same issue. Has been trying for days to get this working.

Model: mdz-16-aa (Amlogic S905 Cortex-A53 / only 1 regular USB, no SD-card)

1. Downgraded to v..106
    2. Rooted with Kingo ROOT for PC (v. 1.4.9)
    3. Reboot = Stock at "GITV - Galaxy Internet TV" (blue boot screen)

Have tried 360root PC, doesn't work.

Mouse and keyboard can't connect, so it's somewhat limited with options for using a APK to due the root. Tried KingRoot, 360Root and KingoROOT as APK. The remote can't press the buttons and a mouse and keyboard is not registered.

Another side effect after rooting is, that USB isn't working. After flashing back to original, everything is back to normal, but no root.

JK_XIAOMI likes this.
  12. JK_XIAOMI

JK_XIAOMIMembers

Nov 7, 2016
    Regarding "Another side effect after rooting is, that USB isn't working" - Had same issue: Try disabling "ADB Debugging" after root, that worked for me. ADB seems only needed when rooting to get PC communication to work (USB male to male).

13. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    If I do that, it forces a reboot, and when that happens, I'm stuck at the boot screen.

14. doditadaniel

Feb 11, 2016
    Male
    Same problem for me. Rooting is achieved but if I reboot the box ends up at the blue screen with Galaxy Internet TV. Did you guys do something special after rooting ....? Is there a solution to this?

murffmurffmurff likes this.
  15. murffmurffmurff

Nov 17, 2016
    Male
    Hi, I must say i have the same problem over here. Was very excited when i saw that the rooting process finished... But now i have a unresponsive blue screen...

Someone has a solution to this? Thanks in advance!

16. doditadaniel

Feb 11, 2016
    Male
    UPDATE!!!
    I couldnt manage to root it but I succesfuly installed gapps, changed language and default launcher without root.
    The method is described in here http://gocmobile.net/threads/532513/

murffmurffmurff likes this.
  17. murffmurffmurff

Nov 17, 2016
    Male
    Allright, my only reason i want to root it is because of a custom launcher.
    I hope Google Translate won't fail me now... I can't read vietnamese at all. :)

18. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    Interesting.. I tried exactly what was in that article weeks ago, but no result. What model is it you have?

19. murffmurffmurff

Nov 17, 2016
    Male
    I have the MDZ-16-AA. The method worked here. I did not like that launcher, and i missed my airplay/casting option in that build. So i reverted back to normal (1.50.1) now. Anyone else knows how to just launch kodi at boot/startup?

20. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    Wow.. It actually worked. I rest my case.
    I just didn't have the patience to wait the first time I did it. This time I waited 3-4 mins at boot up.

21. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    1. Downgrade to the needed rom (v..106)
    2. Install Kodi
    3. Download and unpack https://goo.gl/5CKLU2
    4. Download: http://apkfind.com/root/apk/2016/10...mclauncher&f=XBMC Launcher_2.6_apk-dl.com.apk
    5. In the unpacked "\system\app" you'll find a file called "ApexLauncher_v2.3.0.apk" copy the name of the file and rename the file you downloaded at step 4 to that.
    6. Replace the original "ApexLauncher_v2.3.0.apk" with the newly named file from step 4.

When you then run the sript, the launcher will now be the "Kodi launcher" and your box will now boot in Kodi directly. The home button will also no longer push you to the horrible Mi-launcher. If you need to run any of the Android apps on the box you can do it through programs in Kodi.

I tested it my self and it works.

preuss, Kees Podt and doditadaniel like this.
  22. doditadaniel

Feb 11, 2016
    Male
    [QUOTE="When you then run the sript, the launcher will now be the "Kodi launcher" and your box will now boot in Kodi directly. The home button will also no longer push you to the horrible Mi-launcher. If you need to run any of the Android apps on the box you can do it through programs in Kodi.

I tested it my self and it works.[/QUOTE]

Great job. It works. I tested it. Basically you could install any launcher this way!

23. murffmurffmurff

Nov 17, 2016
    Male
    Dear Bingo123, i love you, For sharing this method :) One more thing... Anyone knows how to get the airplay/casting app from 1.50 to this older firmware?

24. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    I tested https://apkplz.com/android-apps/airscreen-apk-download and got it to work with one streaming app "DR TV". Only worked when I actually started the video i wanted to stream and then used the in app AirPlay casting

25. bingo123

bingo123Members

Nov 9, 2016
    "AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO)" gives me the mirroring, but no sound... Don't work with Netflix though.

Share Our Site