Mi Box 3 (s905) Root Guide

Nov 17, 2016
Difficult.... The airplay functionality is the only thing likable in firmware 1.50.1. I'm gonna try to extract the wireless sharing app of the new firmware and copy it to the restored firmware.

Dec 18, 2016
Hi Guys, wondering if someone can help me, I have a MDZ-16-AA firmware 1.4.32 I am trying to root but cannot get into recovery mode, I have tried every button combination, I have removed batteries in the remote to break pairing, I have turned the system off and tried again after many hours, reset to factory, held buttons down for a minute, but nothing.

I am setting this up as a gift for my parents this Christmas, so hopefully i can figure it out before then, any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!

Dec 20, 2016
Hi Guys, wondering if someone can help me, I have a MDZ-16-AA firmware 1.4.32 I am trying to root but cannot get into recovery mode, I have tried every button combination, I have removed batteries in the remote to break pairing, I have turned the system off and tried again after many hours, reset to factory, held buttons down for a minute, but nothing.

I am setting this up as a gift for my parents this Christmas, so hopefully i can figure it out before then, any help would be much appreciated, Thank you!
+1 same like you my MDZ-16-AA 2017 can't go to recovery mode

Jan 7, 2017
Hi
I was recrecovering my Bibox 3 (S905-MDZ-16-AA). It recovered automatically but erasing a few seconds the screen warn as the picture. What's marter?

Feb 9, 2017
Can we use USB A to USB A cable? (without the bridge in the center of course)

Hi there,

I managed to successfully root my Mi Box 3 w firmware 1.3.114 . Thought I'd share :)

Tools needed:
- Male to Micro USB Female Converter Connector
- USB stick

Software needed:
- Mi image 1.3.106:
yadi dot sk/d/Yvr1jYflm6GZR
dropbox dot com/s/72x76khqjlpekap/MiBOX3_jurassicpark_gitv_1.3.106.386.zip
- Kingo root for windows

kingoapp dot com

First you will need to downgrade the firmware to version 1.3.106.
Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file to a formatted usb tick (Fat32).
(Should be two files: xiaomi_update and update.zip)
Put the stick in your Mi Box and boot in recovery: unplug power, press and hold back + ok button while plugging the power back in. The remote should be nearby and facing the box. Do not let go of the buttons until it booted in recovery. the flashing should start and finish automatically.

After first boot make sure you disable Intelligent Update.

Second step is to root your box with Kingo.
Enable USB/ADB debugging and reboot (it's right there in the menu under security settings).
Install Kingo root on your pc or laptop and connect your box using a micro usb charging cable. This is where you'll need the adapter. Start Kingo Root, follow instructions and choose 'Root again'.
This will take a minute... done!

Aug 24, 2016
I tried to downgrade my MDZ-16-AA device with the MiBOX3_jurassicpark_gitv_1.3.106.386 file ... but it brings it down only to 1. 3. 114 and not to 1. 3. 106.

Kingroot or Permroot does not work.
Secondly, I do not get "ADB Debugging" option. Hence I cannot connect my Mi Box to my laptop for rooting.

Can anyone help ?

Feb 9, 2017
I tried to downgrade my MDZ-16-AA device with the MiBOX3_jurassicpark_gitv_1.3.106.386 file ... but it brings it down only to 1. 3. 114 and not to 1. 3. 106.

Kingroot or Permroot does not work.
Secondly, I do not get "ADB Debugging" option. Hence I cannot connect my Mi Box to my laptop for rooting.

Can anyone help ?
Impossible because it is 1.3.106 firmware. I think you flash wrong firmware.

Jul 14, 2016
Hi San_7,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Apperently, previously I accidentally changed the order in a false order...

I did it again, but this time made sure to truely get it in the right oder :)
And now also YoutTube is working. Thanks again.

Please tell everybody if / when and how you rooted this device :)
Cheers, k03st
guys follow this post it worked like charm, i lost airplay but its soooooooooooo good , trust me.
goo DOT gl/4700qp

Mar 17, 2017
Connect your device via USB and it should be detected, I manually created male to male usb cable (by using a micro usb and a mouse cable), you may do so too or buy one
Hello San_7.

i´m use
2x USB A to Micro USB cable.

I have connected them

1 to 1 and

twisted pair ( data 2 and 3 )

I do not get a connection

what am I doing wrong

Jul 14, 2016
hope you matched the color properly when making the cable. make sure the cable is not too long and ADB is enabled in your mi box

Aug 24, 2016
guys follow this post it worked like charm, i lost airplay but its soooooooooooo good , trust me.
goo DOT gl/4700qp
Hi San_7... I have been through this procedure.
But when I tried to downgrade my MDZ-16-AA device with the MiBOX3_jurassicpark_gitv_1.3.106.386 file ... it brings it down only to 1. 3. 114 and not to 1. 3. 106.
Secondly I do not get "ADB Debugging" option in version 1. 3. 114. Hence I cannot connect my Mi Box to my laptop.
Can you help ?

Mar 23, 2017
Hey guys...
I just bought Xiaomi MiBox 3c (MDZ-16-AA)
It was running 1.5.1 firmware but I successfully downgraded it to 1.3.106 as described in this thread.

I then connected it to the PC (one of them being a VM running Win10 and the other one I tried is Windows 7 Laptop). Installed the drivers and started KingRoot. KingRoot tried to install some application on the MiBox and I confirmed using the remote so it successfully installed it (something like KRhelper4pc )
Unfortunately KingRoot is in chinese and I can't see what it says but it fails to root my device.
I also tried KingO root which is in english but it crashes when I run it... it says "Connecting... Please enable USB Debugging mode" and then crashes... tried it on 2 computers

Any Ideas ?

Jul 14, 2016
Hi San_7... I have been through this procedure.
But when I tried to downgrade my MDZ-16-AA device with the MiBOX3_jurassicpark_gitv_1.3.106.386 file ... it brings it down only to 1. 3. 114 and not to 1. 3. 106.
Secondly I do not get "ADB Debugging" option in version 1. 3. 114. Hence I cannot connect my Mi Box to my laptop.
Can you help ?
I don't think It should happen, as I downgraded mine from 1.4.52( latest) to 106. If you are downgrading using a usb drive and booting into recovery it should work fine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2017
Hi there,
I have a mibox mobel: MDZ-16-AB how coming with android 6.0 international room, that i upgrade to android 7.0 beta and i dont like it!
Is any way to DOWNGRADE it back to the original android version?

Oct 23, 2017
One more thing is my Mi box doesn't have micro USB port. It has only one USB port. when I am connecting it to laptop nothing happens