Mi Box 3 - WiFi connectivity issue / Google Assistant issue update info!

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Sorry to go Off topic here... If I see any more fighting in here I will close the threads and ban people. I've had enough of people disrespecting others and the fowl language and insults.

It stops or you get booted out of this forum forever. I'm not pointing fingers, I know who the offenders are... You know it too! In fact i'll do one better... I will cease this whole forum section if people dont sort their attitude out.

Take notice or get out!

Aug 8, 2018
Sorry to go Off topic here... If I see any more fighting in here I will close the threads and ban people. I've had enough of people disrespecting others and the fowl language and insults.

It stops or you get booted out of this forum forever. I'm not pointing fingers, I know who the offenders are... You know it too! In fact i'll do one better... I will cease this whole forum section if people dont sort their attitude out.

Take notice or get out!
I agree with you on that, doesn't lead to anything productive. But I also do understand customers being angry, I literally got the device yesterday and it is fairly disappointing to have a completely new device in an unusable state.

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
I agree with you on that, doesn't lead to anything productive. But I also do understand customers being angry, I literally got the device yesterday and it is fairly disappointing to have a completely new device in an unusable state.
Define unusable though, depends on your specific use case. Anyway, stick to topic or im deleting posts.

Angry customers I can related to, angry customers being PRICKS on my forum, no thanks. Vent it to the customer services teams you purchased from. Not to my forums.

Aug 8, 2018
Define unusable though, depends on your specific use case. Anyway, stick to topic or im deleting posts.

Angry customers I can related to, angry customers being PRICKS on my forum, no thanks. Vent it to the customer services teams you purchased from. Not to my forums.
Well I wouldn't consider a device usable if WIFI keeps constantly disconnecting, interrupting streams, updates, YouTube, audio constantly cutting out, NTFS USB not being read (I use an external HDD that I keep 4K movies on), Netflix stutter. All I could remember so far, which are all pretty main points to having an Android TV Box in the first place, since none of them are working properly, how am to consider it a usable device.

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Well I wouldn't consider a device usable if WIFI keeps constantly disconnecting, interrupting streams, updates, YouTube, audio constantly cutting out, NTFS USB not being read (I use an external HDD that I keep 4K movies on), Netflix stutter. All I could remember so far, which are all pretty main points to having an Android TV Box in the first place, since none of them are working properly, how am to consider it a usable device.
You obviously have none of the new BETA / OTA Public builds....

NTFS was solved.
WiFi issue also solved in most cases (some hardware is still being douchy)

So, which build are you running?

Aug 8, 2018
You obviously have none of the new BETA / OTA Public builds....

NTFS was solved.
WiFi issue also solved in most cases (some hardware is still being douchy)

So, which build are you running?
I am running 2175, haven't tested NTFS on it yet, WiFi is still cutting out. But I was talking from the perspective of getting a new device and the state it is in right after setup and official updates. If I hadn't meddled with the device myself it would still be in that condition.

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
I am running 2175, haven't tested NTFS on it yet, WiFi is still cutting out. But I was talking from the perspective of getting a new device and the state it is in right after setup and official updates. If I hadn't meddled with the device myself it would still be in that condition.
You haven't tested NTFS but you stated it doesnt work in a previous reply. Did you perform a factory reset then update to 2175? if not please do that and in future if you make a statement about things not working please at least check it before making the remark.

Aug 8, 2018
You haven't tested NTFS but you stated it doesnt work in a previous reply. Did you perform a factory reset then update to 2175? if not please do that and in future if you make a statement about things not working please at least check it before making the remark.
Did you read what I wrote? I am talking about a fresh device, without BETA updates and the state it is in out of the box. I did perform a factory reset, both in system and using the --wipe_data command line. Can you at least give me an ETA on the next public update so I know if I should wait for it or contact the store.

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Did you read what I wrote? I am talking about a fresh device, without BETA updates and the state it is in out of the box. I did perform a factory reset, both in system and using the --wipe_data command line. Can you at least give me an ETA on the next public update so I know if I should wait for it or contact the store.
Yes but you clearly said NTFS doesnt work and etc etc... when it is working with the new updates. Ask for ETA and you'll get the same reply as any one will give you "When its ready"..

Obviously if you just got the box and tried it then it should of been running Marshmallow, if you OTA to Oreo and didnt see the news about the Mi Box 3 first then not sure how to say but its been fairly well documented online everywhere recently.

So anyway, follow the forum for your queries... Get the latest build installed and enjoy working WiFi and NTFS.

Aug 8, 2018
Yes but you clearly said NTFS doesnt work and etc etc... when it is working with the new updates. Ask for ETA and you'll get the same reply as any one will give you "When its ready"..

Obviously if you just got the box and tried it then it should of been running Marshmallow, if you OTA to Oreo and didnt see the news about the Mi Box 3 first then not sure how to say but its been fairly well documented online everywhere recently.

So anyway, follow the forum for your queries... Get the latest build installed and enjoy working WiFi and NTFS.
I really appreciate the work you are doing and I am hoping this device doesn't get abandoned by Xiaomi, I asked for a replacement so that I don't upgrade to Oreo next time.
And I must disagree with your logic about the update. I bought the device expecting it to work, and since I work as a software developer it is unclear to me how Xiaomi released that disaster of an update to the public without thoroughly testing it. Most people in my office would lose their job in a similar situation.

Keep us posted!

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
I really appreciate the work you are doing and I am hoping this device doesn't get abandoned by Xiaomi, I asked for a replacement so that I don't upgrade to Oreo next time.
And I must disagree with your logic about the update. I bought the device expecting it to work, and since I work as a software developer it is unclear to me how Xiaomi released that disaster of an update to the public without thoroughly testing it. Most people in my office would lose their job in a similar situation.

Keep us posted!
I'm a rocket engineer, so what :) I dont really care for people proclaiming they are developers, I was once one as well.

We all can agree the Oreo update was botched, but arguing the fact is not changing the situation, if I hadn't spoke to Xiaomi I doubt there would be the progress there is now so instead of bashing, lets be more constructive going forward.

We are where we are... things are moving forward with considered testing, hence there is not been any further "public" OTA "yet!"

Jul 23, 2018
Check reddit for the WiFi fix firmware :)
Tried to install but it doesn't work.i assume you put the USB pen with the files on the root folder and power ithe mi box on with remote back and ok buttons pressed right? It just starts and the tv says something about the resolution not supported and Android starts with the image messed up and I need to remove the HDMI cable and plug it in again.

Jul 29, 2015
Tried to install but it doesn't work.i assume you put the USB pen with the files on the root folder and power ithe mi box on with remote back and ok buttons pressed right? It just starts and the tv says something about the resolution not supported and Android starts with the image messed up and I need to remove the HDMI cable and plug it in again.
Plug hdmi cable directly to TV, try different port on TV, bypass any AV amp until after successful update
you may want to get an extra set of hands to make sure you are only touching the 2 buttons

update with build 2174 then repeat process with build 2175

you should only have 2 files in root of usb pen update.zip and other text file

Jul 23, 2018
Plug hdmi cable directly to TV, try different port on TV, bypass any AV amp until after successful update
you may want to get an extra set of hands to make sure you are only touching the 2 buttons

update with build 2174 then repeat process with build 2175

you should only have 2 files in root of usb pen update.zip and other text file
Im already at the 2174, just missing the latest one, 2175.

Jul 23, 2018
I think my box is stuck at installing the update to 2175. How much time does it take to fully install it?

what happens if you press any key while is it installing? i changed the hdmi port but forgot to do change to that input so i might have pressed a key whilie it was already installing.