1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mi Box 3s Chinese - How To Use It? International Rom?

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by Attila Kocsis, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Attila Kocsis

Attila Kocsis Members

Hi,

I bought the latest version of xiaomi mi box (3s) and received Chinese version. It seems completely useless for a non-chinese user and I am now wondering what to do.

I managed to change the language at system level but did not help much. It seems the box is limited to a few chinese apps - nothing usable for someone in Europe/Australia/USA. No netflix, kodi, spotify, playstore or anything you would use an android tv box for.

Am I doing something wrong? How is this box supposed to be used?

Can I install the international version of the firmware? If yes, where can i find it?

Many thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. xsel777

xsel777 Members

You can download kodi from play store. There are other add-ons that you can download that will add the necessary sites to make kodi useful. Google it.
    I am using the beta version of kodi,which is downloaded from the Internet and I update it every 2-3 days with zero issues.
    If the box is in English now, then this tip will get you up and running.
    Being, Chinese! It might not have play store. You would then need to flash gapps on it, but I can't advise you without a recovery like twrp being installed or even where you could find one.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

3. miboy

miboy Members

Can you return it??? Likely you were seeking model mdz-16-ab which comes with an official ANDROIDTV O/S.
    You have found how to get English menus but the task of adding the functionality you want is arduous and complex.

There are various youtube tutorials that have guidance that applies to most all Chinese Xiaomi boxes on how to overcome its limitations. As the box is newly released there will not be much specific help but you can rely on the same steps used on previous models for a starting point.
    Strongly suggest you get root access and you can recover significant ram space allocated to Xiaomi 'bloatware'. Resist the urge to delete the default launcher...you have been warned!
    There is a miniscule chance that official AndroidTV can be burned to this device but that project is still in early pre-pre-pre alpha stage.
    Good luck...

4. joacmc

joacmc Members

I don't know if it helps, but I made the same mistake and got a chinese mdz-18-aa, but at least the seller changed language to english and installed the app store. however most apps can't be installed from the app store.

to install I downloaded from apkmirror the latest netflix apk and installed it, it seems to be working. however if you don't have the play store I don't know how you can get a browser...

5. jettison

jettison Members

Nice little box!

6. Uldis

Uldis Members

Is there a International Official version of Mi Box 3s?
    In Aliexpress I found such item which shows that is the new box (released on 22.11.2016):
    "Official-International-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Box-3S-2GB-8GB-Android-TV-6-0-Smart-TV"

The only difference in the item description the Bluetooth is 4.0/3.0 and not 4.1 as listed in the Chinese specs on the main page.

The main question where to buy international (English) version of the new Mi Box 3s which is released on the 22.11.2016?

7. francesco180984

francesco180984 Members

can you share the procedure to change language?

thanks

8. miboy

miboy Members

Many Youtube tutorials on this subject. Model number is unimportant. Basic steps apply to all Xiaomi models.

9. miboy

miboy Members

For clarity, please specify the EXACT model number from label on bottom of device.

There are many youtube tutorials on sideloading apps on Xiaomi devices. Most steps apply accross all Chinese based models.

Rooting procedures specific to earlier models will not be supported on this S905X Android 6 device

10. miboy

miboy Members

Can we assume you have Xiaomi model MDZ-19-AA, 2GB/8GB Android 6?
    Dont trust seller provided descriptions. Specify the exact Xiaomi model number to avoid confusion

You were likely hoping for MDZ-16-AB which comes with official AndroidTV and supports natively all the mainstream international languages, along with Google Play and Netflix at 1080/4K (UHD) resolution.

There is no such thing as International software for this device. Best you can do is change menu language.

This box is full of Xiaomi 'bloatware' which is geo-locked and only works within PRC . Check youtube for instructions to set up sideload. Then you will be able to install apps of your choosing.
    Netflix will only produce 480 resolution, even though the box is capable of 4K.
    Gapps cannot be installed and the box is immune from common rooting exploits.

Good luck

11. miboy

miboy Members

This model DOES NOT support Google Play Store no matter your location, by any known method!!!

12. miboy

miboy Members

see https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/avoid-confusion-use-model-number-not-model-name.36604/

13. Uldis

Uldis Members

Thank you miboy for link.
    Now it is more clearer. To get the less problems I should go for the MDZ-16-AB which is the official Android TV box.
    Question from which store to buy it in Europe or that ships to Europe?

14. miboy

miboy Members

Check your private messages...

15. Uldis

Uldis Members

Thank you miboy, I started a Conversation with you.

16. francesco180984

francesco180984 Members

can y flash the 16-ab firmware on my 19-aa box?

17. miboy

miboy Members

Sorry, that cannot be done for love or money.

18. brav0

brav0 Members

Damn, I got the same box as well, MDZ-19-AA. So this box can't be rooted? Does anyone know if there is any active projects going on to root this thing?

19. Stegue

Stegue Members

Hello, Still, this box is sold internationally !!
    I am really disappointed. It's the jungle at Xiaomi. For me, the model MI 3S box is unique as a box Apple TV 4. :/

20. minali

minali Members

Looks cool, I might get the 2GB/8GB for $65 at geekbuying.

21. miboy

miboy Members

Better yet, buy the official ANDROIDTV model mdz-16-ab for $69.

22. AAMER RAZA

AAMER RAZA Members

GOOD NEWS I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION

23. AAMER RAZA

AAMER RAZA Members

TO CHANGE LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH

24. AAMER RAZA

AAMER RAZA Members

AND INSTALL ALL APP(KODI ES FILE MANAGER, ETC)

25. AAMER RAZA

AAMER RAZA Members

I HAVE MADE THIS VIDEO.

Share Our Site