Mi Box 3s: Mdz-16-ab - Root

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by grezom, Feb 22, 2017.

1. grezom

grezomMembers

Feb 15, 2017
    Male
    Is not here thread where is complete manual step-by-step, how make root for MDZ-16-AB.
    Who has experience with that?
    We make together manual how to do it.

Fedemiglio88 likes this.
  2. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Will NEVER happen as the MDZ-16-AB (and the MDZ-19-aa) have a locked, encrypted bootloader.

3. grezom

grezomMembers

Feb 15, 2017
    Male
  4. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Partial success but root is not persistent and precludes any future updates beyond the original firmware supplied with Xiaomi box at introduction.

Why is root access important to you?

BTW, do you have the official AndroidTV model mdz-16-ab or the more recent mdz-19-aa?

Your title is confusing

5. grezom

grezomMembers

Feb 15, 2017
    Male
    1.) Why root? - I have all my albums from holidays with pictures and videos on NAS (WD My Book Live). I don't find app for Android TV which can browse on NAS. So I think, that i mount external drive like local and I can use some simply gallery viewer.
    2.) I have MDZ-16-AB
    3.) Yes in this moment is title confusing.

6. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    ES File explorer is a native AndroidTV app on playstore. It will be able to access the file structure of your NAS.

Root not required!!!!

7. grezom

grezomMembers

Feb 15, 2017
    Male
    I know that this is a possible, but is not really practice. Es File Explorer can't create link on dashboard with my NAS url where i have galleries. It is maximal unworkable.

But is here next Apps where root is necessary (ADB, Easy Advanced Settings Kodi Addon,...).

8. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    ADB access does not require root.
    Easy Advanced Settings Kodi Addon does not require root
    Install Kodi does not require root

Permanent root status will never be possible with the locked, encoded boot loader on this device.

9. grezom

grezomMembers

Feb 15, 2017
    Male
    "Permanent root status" - what does it mean? Not permanent root is possible?

10. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    You have to realize that content providers like Netflix, Hulu, HBO etc only agreed to have content streamed if their content is protected from piracy so in order to achieve this the box is locked down to enforce HDCP and if it's rooted, the encryption can be compromised. I agree with the other replies if you want pictures to work, use KODI and learn how to use it to access your NAS and display your personal media.

11. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Nvidia Shield and Asus Nexus Player ANDROIDTV devices can be rooted easily.

Seems Xiaomi's reluctance to allow root access is to stifle users chances for creating complicated support issues.
    Their east Asian script readers masquerading as technical support can barely follow simple issues, much less deal with the aggravation full admin access would unleash.

12. grezom

grezomMembers

Feb 15, 2017
    Male
    Dave Deluria: Kodi is slowly for browsing on NAS (My Book live). And GoPro videos on NAS freezing after start.

13. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    We're off topic. Start a new thread, and try to be descriptive like how are things connected (Wifi/Fixed ethernet/direct via USB). It took me some trial and error to sort mine out but I assure you it can work.

Share Our Site