Mi Box 4k - How To Power Off?

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by Altembas, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    Hi all,
    I've upgraded to the newest firmware. The option to specify what the power off button does is no longer there.
    How do I turn off the box? I know I can reboot and make it go to sleep.
    I have no clue how to turn it off safely so that I can move it to another room.
    I think this may be an actual bug in the firmware...

2. ingbrzy

ingbrzyXiaomi.eu Multilang leader
    Staff Member

press power off button 2x

lavinski likes this.
  3. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    #3Altembas,Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    I don't think this is working :(
    When I press the power off button 2x very quickly the box goes to sleep and then wakes immediately.
    When I press the power off button long 1x then I get the menu with just 1 option 'reboot'. When I press the power off button again it goes to sleep.

In both cases waking up takes about 5 seconds and I do not see the Android loading images.
    I already did one Factory Reset...

There's a similar thread here
    reddit. com/r/AndroidTV/comments/5eprm5/is_there_any_way_to_shutdown_the_xiaomi_mi_box/
    and it looks like someone proposed the same solution.
    So what am I doing wrong?!

4. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    when you see the 'reboot', press OK to confirm

5. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    That will reboot the box, right? I want to power it off.

6. albertkuba

albertkubaMembers

Feb 20, 2016
    Male
    And what happen by touching It one time sligthtly?I mean by touching the power button just one time like before?

Enviado desde mi MI MAX mediante Tapatalk

7. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    Well... I think it went to sleep.
    I think that because it takes the same amount of time to wake (5 seconds) as when I press the button just once = as when it goes to sleep. Also, there's no Android loading screen.

8. albertkuba

albertkubaMembers

Feb 20, 2016
    Male
    Then is ok,there is no more Android loging screen.

Enviado desde mi MI MAX mediante Tapatalk

9. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    How come? There is an Android loading screen when I disconnect from AC power (hard reset).

10. Rupert

RupertMembers

Feb 27, 2017
    Hi, same issue here: no PowerOff using latest FW. Only Reboot option.
    Pressing twice, slow, fast or anything else doesn't switch off.

Any suggest?

11. Mmh78

Mmh78Members

Apr 1, 2017
    Male
    Same here. The remotes power off button (+OK) can only reboot the device. Xiaomi, please fix this issue and bring the power menu back. Why would you take this option away?

12. Papka__

Papka__Members

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Anyone can explain, why you need this? If you will power off completely, how are you going to turn it on?

13. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    One example would be moving the box to another room. Power it off completely. Unplug AC. Move. Connect AC.

14. Ersatz

ErsatzMembers

Apr 20, 2017
    Male
    Hi all,

Same question here!

Hi Papka,

For energy saving, because I don't need my box to be powered all day, for a clean shut down...

15. Papka__

Papka__Members

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    How you operating with your TV? You also switching it out of outlet every day?
    I think we need to separate things - in some cases, people have problems with turning device in sleep mode. So they shortly pressing power button, but getting prompt about "reboot". Normally, this question about reboot should appear on long press of power button, not on short. On short, device just going to sleep mode as TV for example. I personally, not faced such problem.
    As I know, to fix this problem, you should go to recovery mode and reset your device, wipe data and re-setup again. If you need precise instruction, how to do this, I could find and provide it here.

16. Ersatz

ErsatzMembers

Apr 20, 2017
    Male
    Papka,

Thanks for your response. I think we all play with words. My TV is on a "real" sleep mode. I mean all the connections and apps restart when I turn the TV on. Here, I'm not sure my box is not always connected. + what if I want a "clean" shut down to move my box?

I see some methods to enter the recovery mode: hold back and ok, or ok and home but I can't enter the recovery.

If you can help me, thanks!

17. Papka__

Papka__Members

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    This sleeping mode is exactly you talking about, just device saving it state. So if you put it in sleep mode with let's say opened Youtube, when you will wake it again, Youtube will be opened and ready to continue. I saw somewhere measures of power consumption in sleep mode. It was almost the same as for TV's for example. Just don' t search for a black cat in dark room. Just use device.

18. Ersatz

ErsatzMembers

Apr 20, 2017
    Male
    Ok, but the problem since the update (I'm now on 6.0.1), I only have reboot option and nothing in the settings.

Nothing more if I press 2 times the power touch... So I can't choose to go on the sleep mode when I want to...

The only option is in the screensaver settings (sleep mode after min 30 minutes)

19. Papka__

Papka__Members

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    2 times press not working anymore. So 1 srort press - sleep mode, long press - reboot option. If short press not working for you, you need tro reset device. I'll try to find instruction and post here.

20. Ersatz

ErsatzMembers

Apr 20, 2017
    Male
    I just do the factory reset before your post and it works.

Thanks and best regards!

21. Papka__

Papka__Members

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Nice to hear.

22. Altembas

AltembasMembers

Mar 17, 2017
    Just for the record, I did a factory reset. My flow was like this:
    - brand new box - all worked
    - upgraded to newest android - no power off option
    - factory reset - no power off option

I'm 100% sure about my factory reset as I was giving away that box and I needed to wipe it completely.

23. Papka__

Papka__Members

Mar 21, 2016
    Male
    Reset from recovery.

24. logremonte

logremonteMembers

Jun 28, 2017
    When you go into standby sometimes you do not want to turn on, you need to remove the power plug to start up

what to do?

25. omadhaun

omadhaunMembers

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    Their support is useless. I just sent them this email:

In your latest firmware update for the Mi Box 4K, you removed the option for turning the unit off. Now you can only put it in standby mode or reboot. Are you planning on bringing back this feature ? There are many reasons why someone would want to power off the unit completely rather than leaving it in standby mode. In the meantime, is it safe to power off the unit when it is in standby mode by just turning off the power switch on the power strip the unit is plugged into ?

And they sent this answer:

Thank you for contacting Mi Customer Support.

I understand your concern and would like to inform you that Mi Box cannot be power off and it can only turn into standby mode and there is no option to turn it off.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.
    Have a nice day!

So their answer to my question was to inform me that the box couldn't be powered off and can only put in standby mode - which is what I informed them about and NOT the question I asked them.

tolkien and Humar like this.

Share Our Site