Mi Box 4k Mdz-16-ab Color Inversion With Philips / Sony Tv Sets

Aug 19, 2017
Dear Xiaomi team,

I have recently purchased the Mi Box following the recommendations on the internet. Unfortunately I am unable to use the Mi Box with my LCD TV model 42PFL8404 by Philips. The TV is absolutely in perfect working conditions checked and double checked with the HDMI connections with different devices and PC. The problem with the Mi Box is the color inversion - when the color space information in the HDMIdata stream is missed somehow during display (temporary hickup or timing mismatch) the TV picks the color space it prefers (in my case RGB) and displays the YUV444 stream as a RGB stream. Since the Y component (Luminance or brightness information) is mapped to Red and U and V (which normally encode the color components) are mapped to Green and Blue the picture starts looking like its rendered in Green and Purple shades. AFAIK the only solution for this issue is to implement an options that allows the user to force the color space used by the HDMI driver.

Please refer to the following resolution implemented in a firmware by the developers of the Minix streaming device :
1. Go to Settings;
2. Go to Force RGB Output » Select Enable;

3. Go to Screen Resolution » Select the best 1080p-60Hz and Disable auto switch to default resolution; Then Enter in More Setting » Select RGB 10bit.

Please let us know are you going to fix the color inversion problem in the near future. I like the Mi Box and my TV and it would be great to know that soon with your assistance I will be able to use them together with no color inversion issue.

Otherwise, I should return the box and You should to place a well known warning on the official Xiaomi web site regarding the color inversion issue with Philips, Sony and probably other brand TV sets to avoid the inconvenience among the Xiaomi customers. Please understand that many users of the decent old TV sets are willing to add the Android TV features to their experience and the Mi Box has a great potential for that. But the color inversion issue should be announced and better to be fixed through the firmware fix.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2015
This is one of the few instances I have seen this mentioned, anywhere. FWIW, it is not an issue unique to Mibox and usually affects vintage tvs.

I have an installation of over 200 users in a senior center, where vintage TVs dominate. Don't see this issue

3 suggestions try different hdmi cables get an hdmi splitter that simplifies the hdmi communications

Also, make sure you have latest firmware on your tv.

I don't see a solution forthcoming from Xiaomi as this issue ranks about # 4529 on their list of things to do.

Aug 19, 2017
3 suggestions
try different hdmi cables
get an hdmi splitter that simplifies the hdmi communications
Also, make sure you have latest firmware on your tv.
HDMI cable has nothing to do with the described issue.
Firmware is updated to the latest on both the TV and the Mi Box.
I have not tried HDMI splitters and I am not sure how effective the splitter might be in case of the handshake issue regarding the color inversion. In case anyone has an example with color inversion issue fixed by putting the HDMI spliitter in the path, please llet me know.

I don't see a solution forthcoming from Xiaomi as this issue ranks about # 4529 on their list of things to do.
That would be unfortunate and sad. The solution on the android platform is quite easy to implement from the engineering point of view. However, until the issue is fixed it must be announced by Xiaomi in order to warn the consumers.

Jul 29, 2015
HDMI cable has nothing to do with the described issue.
Firmware is updated to the latest on both the TV and the Mi Box.
I have not tried HDMI splitters and I am not sure how effective the splitter might be in case of the handshake issue regarding the color inversion. In case anyone has an example with color inversion issue fixed by putting the HDMI spliitter in the path, please llet me know.

That would be unfortunate and sad. The solution on the android platform is quite easy to implement from the engineering point of view. However, until the issue is fixed it must be announced by Xiaomi in order to warn the consumers.
I sincerely doubt if you receive any responses. It is unfortunate that you are afflicted but you are in the distinct minority. I posed an hdmi splitter but I have no experience with your particular problem and acknowledge it is a long shot. Another long shot is to try the Nougat update that is floating around.

Not too long ago I acquired another AndroidTV based device the day of its release..This AIRTV.net device had the nasty habit of an overriding green tint to the picture on every channel, even using its tv tuner to bring in OTA channels. I got the same results from 6 different TV sets.
Their tech support line suggested the usual tricks but no solution to the green cast.
I kept an eye on their user forums and within a month they were rife with complaints about this issue. The ultimate resolution was wholesale replacements of affected units.

The number of airtv devices with green overcast problem affected a significant portion of their user base. The number of those users is insignificant compared to the hundreds of thousands of MiBox in circulation. There has never been more than a handful of Mibox users with your particular problem noted in the forums and discussions I follow.

I commiserate with your problem but your proposed crusade will only affect a literal handful of MiBox owners.

If the splitter offers no solution, start saving for a new TV.

Facts of life...

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017
A reply was received from the Xiaomi customer service. No helpful info there, but this looks like a sign of hope for us :

Greetings from Xiaomi!

Thank you for contacting Mi Customer Support.

I understand your concern and would like to inform you that, we are checking your concern with our relevant team, so would request you to wait for sometime. You will get the resolution at the earliest.

Please get in touch with us if you need any further assistance.

Thank you for being a valued customer. Have a nice day!

Regards,
Xiaomi Customer Support

Jul 29, 2015
Not to get your hopes up but this is a generic form letter. You'll get the same, vague but very polite response to virtually any inquiry.

Sep 13, 2017
Same problem with a Philips 42PFL5604H/12. It will be interesting to see if "Force RGB on" solve the problem as the others tv box have done.

temporary solution: Switch the source input to other and return it to mi tv box hdmi. But some minutes after the problem appears again.

Untill we have a stable solution I may sell the mitv box.

Xiaomi fixes mobile problems quite often, i hope the same fast response with mitv in an update soon.

Sep 13, 2017
Same problem with a Philips 42PFL5604H/12. It will be interesting to see if "Force RGB on" solve the problem as the others tv box have done.

temporary solution: Switch the source input to other and return it to mi tv box hdmi. But some minutes after the problem appears again.

Untill we have a stable solution I may sell the mitv box.

Xiaomi fixes mobile problems quite often, i hope the same fast response with mitv in an update soon.
update: I also solve it permanently with an active hdmi to vga adapter ( the one who needs a usb power in ) which costs 10 €.

Jan 7, 2018
Just received my new mi box 3 4K and unfortunately same problem here with a Philips TV.
I’ve noticed that this issue dates back to December 16 so I wouldn’t count on Xiaomi to fix it soon.

I think the best chice, from what I read, is an HDMI splitter, has anyone tried and can recommend one to order?

I read her that using HDMI to VGA creates problems
update: I also solve it permanently with an active hdmi to vga adapter ( the one who needs a usb power in ) which costs 10 €.
@kalaveras Can you say if there is a quality reduction and how bad is it? And what is the model of the hdmi to vga that you used? Did you try to watch Netflix and did it worked?

$70 gone to waste if I don’t get it fixed because I don’t plan to change my TV soon.
Waiting for answeres...

Jan 28, 2018
One update
Pls
RGB force option
We see green colors only
Its xiaomi fault this or must put anoucement on box (the box dont play with lcd tvs)
If i had led tv witch is all smart why to buy the tv box
Its only one update

Aug 19, 2017
Unfortunately it seems that Xiaomi does not gives a damn about this issue.
It would be nice to get any reply from the reps. Like " We'll gonna try to fix it in the next 3-5 years", or "Forget about the fix all you old TV set owners"...
Seriously Xiaomi, it should not be this hard.

Jan 30, 2018
Hi Xiaomi,
I have a Philips 42PFL8404H/12 TV that exhibits the same problem with my Mi Box 3.

I've waited almost one year for this "Force RGB" update but no news from you. Some other manufacturers of Android devices have introduced the option with a new firmware. You don't and nor you have updated to the latest Android version. Why?

I've tested this HDMI > YPbPr cable (Amazon.es product B06Y3Y3DCC) and I get the image through components, so it converts digital to analog, but pink screen when powering up MiBox and greenish all the time.

When using HDMI, the problem is that the unit starts well and, after some time, it goes to green tones.

I would like to try an HDMI Splitter as someone has suggested but I don't know if a problem with YUV mapping to RGB will be solved by this kind of devices.

Please, update your firmware. We can't afford a new TV (reason why we've bought your product).

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2018
Greetings from Xiaomi!

Thank you for writing us. I will be glad to assist you.

I understand your concern that you are facing issue with Mi Box 3 and share my concrete apology for the inconvenience you've experienced. I am sorry to inform you that as of now we are not selling this particular product through our official global website , so we do not have any update on the same. Hence would request you to get in touch with the vendor/website from where the device was bought for further support.

Should you have any further queries, feel free to write back to us. We'll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you for being a valued customer. Have a great day ahead!

Regards,

Shejo

Xiaomi Customer Suppor

So no upgrades will come