Mi Box 4k Netflix Problems

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by kabauterman, Dec 15, 2016.

1. kabauterman

Dec 15, 2016
    Male
    Hello folks,

I'm from germany and got my Mi Box a week ago from geekbuying. But I'm not able to use it like I want.

Netflix refuses to work every time I start playing anything, some times it runs 2 sec. sometimes 20 sec. then I get a "we currently have a problem playing back this video" bla bla.

reddit says that many useres have this problem, others not, but the question is, what can I do.

Sending it back to china is no option right now.

2. arbatax

arbataxMembers

Dec 15, 2016
    Male
    Hi, I had the same problem when I first installed my Mi Box. I'm not sure if it was solved by chance or by what I did, but some time after logging in to my Netflix account and choosing "Sign out of all devices" (and then perhaps "Activate a device") and a reboot of the Mi Box, the problem never occurred again. Good luck,

3. kabauterman

Dec 15, 2016
    Male
    Yesterday I found out that this problem is related to the Ultra HD Deep Color Mode of the Mi Box in relation to the Ultra HD Deep Color Mode of my TV, When I disable both, Netflix works fine with Ultra HD content.

When I activate it step by step, in TV and Mi Box it runs for a time, and then seems to fail (TV Screen turns black, no more signal from the Mi Box). After it has failed once, Netflix will no more play back anything for longer then 20 sec.

I will live without Ultra HD Deep Color for now but is is not optimal at all because this make a visible difference.

4. pissedoff

pissedoffMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    I also cannot use Netflix for more than 10-30 seconds without getting the same "we currently have a problem playing back this video" error. This is very annoying.

I noticed that the error code on the lower right hand side of the screen says tvq-pm-100.

The Netflix help page for this says, under "All other devices": We are currently researching this error. To help us investigate, please contact customer service. So I did.

When I chatted with customer service, they confirmed they are still investigating these errors but don't have a fix yet.

5. faberelle

faberelleMembers

Apr 5, 2016
    Hi guys i had the same issue with MiBox 3 Enhanced + Android TV.
    Resolved using Mobile apk version.
    You can download the version 4.12.2 build 14444 from apk mirror ( sry i cant post link on this forum)

Hope it help.
    Bye

6. pissedoff

pissedoffMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    faberelle -- I tried this and while the Netflix app does work and provides continuous play, I am unable to control navigation using the standard MiBox remote. Also, the Netflix app does not show up on the home screen.

Interesting also, when I searched the Google Play index for "netflix," it returns no result. Have they removed the Netflix app from the MiBox Google Play?

7. faberelle

faberelleMembers

Apr 5, 2016
    Hi Pissedoff; In my Android TV version i find the mobile app in "APPS" Icon;
    you can remove or leave the Netflix tv version of the app.
    For control and navigation I use rii mini i28; isnt very good like standard remote but for the moment I think is the best solution.

8. pissedoff

pissedoffMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Yes, I understand it's in the Apps section under Settings. but that's not really convenient. And the navigation issues are a deal breaker for me. Fortunately, the Netflix app in my Samsung Smart TV works fine, and so I will continue to use that instead if or until a working version appears for Android TV.

9. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    There is an official thread. Please register your displeasure there as Xiaomi seems to be deaf on this issue.

h t t p : / / en.miui.com / thread-428000-8-1 . html

I've tried too many permutations of this to count. Different tv's. Bypassing my wifi with USB ethernet. Bypassing my router and going direct to netflix. Trying a different USB wifi device. Attaching external storage/formatting it as internal. Multiple resets. Sideloading the app vs downloading. At this point based on my own troubleshooting and reading other posts - this is a xiaomi issue.

Don't buy the box unless you can easily return it is my recommendation.

10. pissedoff

pissedoffMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Here is my theory: The MiBox 3 is a 4K-capable box. However, the processor at the heart of the MiBox 3 is not compliant with the 4K DRM requirements imposed by Netflix. Ergo, unless there is some way, some flag or other indicator, to essentially ban 4K Netflix content from the MiBox 3, then Netflix considers it non-compliant and refuses to stream content to it. Perhaps the real issue here is some fault in the software of some MiBox 3 units that does not turn off the 4K capability when it comes specifically to Netflix. Or, could be something as simple as the specifics of the HDMI cable being used to connect the MiBox 3 to your TV?

11. pissedoff

pissedoffMembers

Dec 29, 2016
  12. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    I believe you're on the right track. However changing resolution settings should then fix this. I do not have a 4K tv and have tried streaming with other definition settings. I've also tried different cables and different TVs. One only 720 and one 1080. Guess I haven't tried a 4 k one though.

Also I don't know why some boxes would work and some not. As some are working at 4K while others won't work at any resolution.

I've also thought of bad or low quality memory that is resulting in write/cache errors. Buffering on my box is unlike any of my other Netflix devices. It seems to buffer for a fraction the time all other devices I've EVER used.

Your software issue makes more sense if all boxes were impacted while memory would make more sense given the randomness of the issue.

13. pissedoff

pissedoffMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    I doubt it's a hardware issue. I sideloaded the mobile app onto my box and it worked fine as far as streaming goes. Unfortunately, you cannot really navigate the app on the box as it is expecting a touchscreen UI. But it did demonstrate that the box is capable, hardware-wise, of running Netflix.

I cannot explain why some boxes seem to work and others don't. I have no personal experience with one that works. :(

14. adrb61

adrb61Members

May 6, 2016
    I still think it's a Xiaomi firmware Netflix DRM fix that should be released ASAP.

15. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    I have tested several different brands of ANDROIDTV STBs against 35+ different output devices in the showroom of a major US Big Box retailer. Objective analysis of the results convince me the single biggest point of failure with Netflix is directly related to the ultimate output device.

Assuming you have the requisite bandwidth and the proper subscription level with your Netflix account....

There is a complicated interplay between Netflix servers, the AndroidTV box and, verifying the ultimate output device for compliance with advanced standards . These standards are HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliance, and, to a minor degree, correct HDR implementation. Meeting these standards is Netflix's way of assuring satisfaction for their customers.

The Netflix standards for official AndroidTV STBs, which number fewer than 6, are relatively concise and easily met. The chances for successful Netflix HD or UHD streams are mainly dependent on output devices, of which there are thousands.

This is not the fault of Netflix nor your AndroidTV box. It is the suboptimal response from your output device, whether it be a receiver, monitor, projector or TV, that causes the failure to stream Netflix properly.

If your output device is at all out of spec, Netflix servers will not send ANY stream through your account.

16. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    #16miboy,Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    WRONG, see post above.
    Netflix has a stable of 6 ANDROIDTV boxes to match but the equation involves 1000's of disparate tvs and other output devices which truly complicate the situation.

Try a different TV!!!!!

17. adrb61

adrb61Members

May 6, 2016
    So all the guys who exchanged their Mi Box 3 devices and suddenly they could play Netflix on the same TVs are delusional.

18. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    No, but they probably did a factory reset along the way, which cures many ills.

19. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    miboy - you don't know what you're talking about. Pretty simple. Go check the official thread and STFU. Be thankful yours works and that it has nothing to do with your TV/Cable/or Network.......or the fact you plugged yours in better than others. I don't even think you understand that for users affected, Netflix does not work at ANY resolution or refresh rate. We're not all pissed cause 4k doesn't work. NO RESOLUTION WORKS!

http://en.miui.com/thread-428000-12-1.html

"Netflix and Xiaomi are working closely together to have this resolved because it has been reported enough to be a big issue. She said the problem, from launch of the Mi Box, was that Xiaomi did not support the full Netflix app."

20. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015

21. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    I'll suggest you try to maintain a civil tongue, neophyte.

Do you have such great faith in the script parroting East Asians that populate Xiaomi tech support?

And your fellow clueless whiners that prevail at the Xiaomi forum?

It is truly a case of the blind leading the blind...

My aim is not to point fingers or assess blame. I seek understanding, based on scientific and logical investigation.

I have conducted numerous tests with over 35 tvs and projectors, with 3 different official AndroidTV boxes and the results are cogent. Some tvs and projectors refuse to output ANY stream from Netflix, regardless of the tv box. If it fails on Xiaomi, it also fails on Nvidia Shield and Dish AirTV.....

Other Netflix supported devices that can manage HD or higher resolution such as Amazon TV models are a bit more immune to glitchy TVs but may still have Netflix issues. And their owners still bitch about their Amazon boxes!!!

Please explain the overwhelming majority of Xiaomi users that have NEVER had cause to complain about Netflix issues?

Please explain the numerous redditors in /r/androidtv who connect the same mibox to one of their tvs and fail but who, on a lark, connect that same Mibox to another tv and are able to enjoy the complete Netflix experience?

Logic certainly prevails in these cases.

Further, have you ever traced the dialog, using wireshark, between Netflix servers, the Mibox and the lengthy communication with the ultimate output device as to its response to queries about the state of onboard hardware?

It would be a real education for you, and would send you scurrying to google to help you understand such arcane criteria like the exact meaning of HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0a and the vagaries of HDR as they impact on Netflix's decision to verify the entire chain's ability to support HD or better streams.

The net effect is Netflix is so absorbed with customer satisfaction that if there is a faulty part of the equation, Netflix will not compute.

The biggest variables Netflix must contend with are NOT the 6 known TV boxes that support official AndroidTV but the thousands of disparate TV models these boxes connect to.

Each and every AndroidTV box is equipped to properly communicate with output devices that operate within the exacting parameters dictated by Netflix. When there is a failure, it can almost always be traced to a sketchy TV or other output device.

The only minor failing is the incomplete HDR aspect of the Xiaomi box, but that is not a critical issue that causes Netflix to crap out. Cure wil be presented in upcoming Nougat upgrade.

Still think I am a know nothing?

I have at least taken the initiative to find the real reasons and not rely on stoopid user's anecdotal screeds.

22. DoctorBR

DoctorBRMembers

Dec 23, 2016
    Male
  23. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Do you get proper Netflix streams in your setup? What are your results fro drminfo apk?

All essential licenses of DRM such as Microsoft Playready 3.0 and Google Widevine L1 are implemented on the Xiaomi box.

These are dependent on the SOC (hardware) and the presence of license credentials in the O/S (software). Only missing high-level HDR function, waiting for Nougat upgrade to resolve...

The readings for HDCP level are dependent on the video hardware device you have connected to your box. Please note that an A/V receiver can negatively impact these interactions, even if you have a perfectly matched display.

As an aside, when connecting AndroidTV box via HDMI to a certain model of TV (which, itself is an AndroidTV OEM, their internal Netflix app works at UHD but total fail with HDMI!!!!

24. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male

It's unfortunate you're not smart enough to realize that hooking a 70$ box to your TV to leverage the features the box is advertised to support doesn't require you to be smart. Did Xiaomi and the TV manufacturers build to a standard or not? I guess you're saying "who knows". I'm saying you're too full of yourself.

25. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    I'm trying my best to keep this on a professional level. I shall explain it like you're 5 years old.......
    Yes, official AndroidTV boxes are built to standards but not every TV conforms to standards that Netflix expects. If you dont have conformity to standards all the way down the line, Netflix will fail to output any stream.
    That is Netflix that decides if it has a chance to provide a quality stream. Androidtv boxes are a fixed, known commodity with an entire universe of 6 models. How many tv models, with varying degrees of capabilities and levels of quality control exist?

Hell, idiotic issues like CEC, which deal with simply turning on/off a tv have been brutally inconsistent across manufacturers, and even between models from those manufacturers.

It requires no intellect on the user's part if all goes well. In cases where the process fails, the natural inclination is to blame the stb. Whine and bitch all you want, without the proper output device you will never enjoy Netflix bliss.

Over and out.....

Share Our Site