Mi Box 4k Netflix Problems

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by kabauterman, Dec 15, 2016.

1. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    So why does an amazon fire tv, a roku 3, a roku stick, a fire tv stick, and a generic cheap android tv box all run netflix successfully on said TV's (I've tried on 4 TV's now with different cables). Again, I'm not trying to push 4k content and its not a 4k TV. There is simply a problem on some mi boxes in regards to netflix. It has nothing to do with the TV or cables or speed of wireless or internet. IT"S THE MI BOX. A sideloaded tablet version of netflix works fine on the mi box. It is simply the mi box. The only thing I haven't tested is the box connected to a 4k tv. If it did work - this too would only point to a problem with the mi-box.

It is of consistent quality of other Xiaomi devices. They are high value, low quality electronic devices. I'd recommend anyone pick one of these up and try it............if they can easily return it. If not - stay away from it.

2. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Just to chime in.

Here's my setup.

{50Mbps Internet plan}--[2.4+5Ghz Wifi router]--[XiaoMi Mi Box Global version]--[4K AVR]--[Samsung 4K w/ Netfllix app]

I am on Netflix plan that allows Ultra HD.

Using just the TV w/ Netflix built-in. I can successfully play Ultra (4K) content.
    Using the Mi Box I can only play up to HD content.

On occasion I get an error about a problem about being unable to play right now, but a quick reboot fixes it and I can view hours and hours of content on the Mi Box but only up to HD.

I hope this helps to find out what needs to be done so I can play Ultra 4K using the Mi Box.

AVR is a Onkyo SR343, TV is a Samsung UHD 49" w/ Smart Hub. Mi Box using latest firmware update as of this writing.

3. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Try bypassing your AVR, set default res to 4K on MiBox.

Please report your findings.

Thanks

4. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Ok. Here's what I did.

- I plugged the Mi Box directly to 4K TV.
    - I then went to settings then set it to 4K. I rebooted for good measure.
    - After reboot. Checked settings to confirm it was still set for 4K@30
    - Ran Netflix
    - Known 4K content still only shows as HD on description and also during playback streams 1080p
    - I switched to built-in Netflix on TV and played same show and I can see the difference from 4K.

5. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Search Netflix for a series of videos called "Test Patterns". Variety of test files that give instant read of bandwidth, resolution and color depth. Let them run for a while to reach max levels.
    This is a valid, scientific test with credible, clearly visible readings.

6. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Ok I got 16,000 kbps, 3840 x 2160, PAR 1:1, 10 bpc, 23.976 fps.

Update:

After running these tests NOW my Mi Box Netflix App is showing and playing Ultra HD!!!!

Weird but a happy ending.

7. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Totally predictable!!!
    Your generation of Sammy 4K tv definitely provides all the correct responses to allow Netflix to stream unimpeded in all its glory

What happens with your AVR back in play?

Kindly repost your initial inquiry and your troubleshooting results in Reddit /r/androidtv

8. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Actually I did your test with the AVR already in the system when I ran the tests.

Even weirder.. I have a 2nd Mi Box in my bedroom setup (standard HD TV). I took it down to my HT setup thinking I can replicate the process and get it's Netflix streaming Ultra 4K but the moment I plugged it in and after it booted I went directly into Netflix and it was displaying Ultra HD 4k content in the menu already.

Now I'm thinking Netflix might have activated all Mi Boxes to be certified to display 4k streams.

WEIRD! (but happy).

9. DoctorBR

DoctorBRMembers

Dec 23, 2016
    Male
    Yes, Netflix works perfectly on my 2011 Samsung TV (HDMI 1.4).
    https://www.htforum.com/forum/threa...-android-tv-6-0-1.278366/page-12#post-7447524
    IMG_20170301_231849958_TOP.jpgScreenshot_20170301-225300.jpgScreenshot_20170301-230833.jpgScreenshot_20170301-231158.jpgScreenshot_20170301-232642.jpgScreenshot_20170301-232750.jpgScreenshot_20170302-005046.jpg

The DRM Info app recognizes it as HDCP 1.x...
    https://www.htforum.com/forum/threa...-android-tv-6-0-1.278366/page-18#post-7482297

IMG_20170208_222302716.jpg

P.s. You probably need to use the Google translator, because the language used in that topic is Portuguese from Brazil. Sorry!

Attached Files:

10. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    for your bag of tricks, Netflix produces a series of videos called "test pattern" which provide an instantaneous readout in upper right side of screen. Gives bandwidth being used, resolution, color bit depth etc. You may need to let it run while the settings reach their maximum.

11. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    AFAIK If the DRM Info app reports only HDCP 1.x, you will be limited to 1080p, 4K requires HDCP 2.2 and this thread is about Netflix 4K.

12. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    #37Dave Deluria,Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Update: For some reason my 2 mi boxes again don't (or refuse) to show any Netflix content in 4K.

On deeper inspection I think when the Mi Box changes your set screen resolution (1080i) it somehow resets things in Netflix.

I've just set the display resolution to 4Kx60 w/ HDR set to ON and now it's ok again.

Gotta watch for if it happens again and see if my solution is right.

13. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    you guys realize you are troubleshooting a different problem right. The test pattern won't even play for those of us affected. This has nothing to do with our TV's or 4K content. Some Mibox's do not play netflix AT ANY RESOLUTION. The test pattern give the same error as ALL other content at ALL resolutions. refer to the error by the original poster.

14. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    If your Netflix isn't working at all with any resolution then the route I would go try the settings. One can check the connection to the Netflix servers as well as the connection speed.

All I'm saying is that the problem isn't endemic meaning it affects all as I've been successful with 2 Mi Boxes in my home setup. My cellphone's Netflix works, My tablet's Netflix works, my other Android TV boxes (non Xiaomi) works as well.

If you have a cellphone, try the netflix app using the same wifi source you use on the Mi Box.

Also I've tried 2 different USB to Ethernet devices and performance also varies greatly. That's why I chose to revamp my home setup's internet to support 5Ghz Wifi. Much better than trying to get the USB 2.0 on the Mi Box to reach high speeds.

15. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male

Dude - before you start troubleshooting read this full thread as well as the official one here.

http://en.miui.com/thread-428000-1-1.html

I never once said the issue affected all mi boxes. But those that are affected all have the same symptoms. Some have two mibox's in the house - one works and the other doesn't. IT HAS NOTHING to do with tv's, cables, wifi, internet. It is the box itself.

Netflix works fine in my house. Including the the app on my samsung tv, my amazon fire tv, my Roku players, my tablets and my cellphones. Read the threads - stop insisting its a setup issue. Some mibox's are having a problem and its affecting multiple users.

16. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Then let me hear your diagnosis on why it works on some and why it doesn't work on others.

17. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    OY! Well if we knew that then we'd have a fix now wouldn't we. Read the full threads. I dare you.

18. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    I did read the threads. In my line of work (IT support) we also have a formula for determining genuine support from rants.

From an IT support background, we practice procedures to determine a cause of a problem and attempt to guide users to a proper determination and possible solution.

The official page is also limited in what staffers can say or not say, this is why I prefer it here in unofficial ones.

So again, what's your diagnosis? Just blaming the app when clearly it works on some setups and not all isn't scientific as we all know there is a big chain of requirements that need to be fulfilled for the app to work, and for the app to work well and up to it's maximum potential (in this case playback of 4K content w/ multichannel audio).

19. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male

20. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    Lol. As someone who has been in enterprise IT for 30 years, when some hack on some message board starts spewing how they do IT support so they know what they're talking about is a clear indicator said jack is a junior support tech with a superiority complex over the "users" he's there to serve. Good luck buddy. Time will tell where the problem is. Insisting it's a setup issue when its affecting several to the point it's also being reflected in app review ratings in the play store is....well the act of a junior support hack.

21. Dave Deluria

Mar 1, 2017
    Male
    Mi Boy was right. No use to talk to you. Your 30 years has clearly made you just crotchety. I'll continue to support fellow owners the way I know how. Politely and sans the emotion needed to fix issues.

Have a nice day.

22. dr_pepper

dr_pepperMembers

Jan 24, 2017
    Male
    LOL. Unbelievable. I don't know if its true of all the mibox's, but for those with this particular Netflix error that is indeed the case. YOU NEED A 4K HDCP 2.2 COMPLIANT TV to make this box work............quick go out and drop another $500 so your 69$ netflix streamer can work.

I tried two splitters

This one is HDCP 1.3 compliant and does not work
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55937

This one is HDCP 2.2 compliant and my Netflix now works if I route through this box.
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...splitter-rf-g1502-c-rf-g1502-c/10449168.aspx?

What a joke.

23. Leanmatias

LeanmatiasMembers

Mar 12, 2017
    Male
    solución a netflix instalar la versión 4.13.3 build 14573:)

24. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    The joke's on you for demonizing folks providing unassailable logic that exactly pinpoints the Netflix issue.

Props to you for being curious enough to pursue a solution.

I would ask you to join the chorus of believers but you are still an intractible dip$hit.

Would it be too much to ask you for an apology for your previous taunts?

Dave Deluria likes this.
  25. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Con tal que tenga una television que soporta los imperativos de Netflix, qualquiera Ninja version de Netflix sirve.

So long as you have a TV that meets Netflix standards, any "Ninja" version of Netflix from the oficial store will work properly.

Share Our Site