Mi Box Enhanced Edition ... my experience

Jun 23, 2014
Hi

I had just gotten a Mi Box Enhanced Edition from a shop in HK - jailbroken with local HK apps installed.

Specs for those interested:
  • SoC – Amlogic S802-H quad core Cortex A9r4 processor @ 2GHz with ARM Mali-450MP6 octa-core GPU
  • System Memory – 2GB RAM
  • Storage – 4GB eMMC Flash + micro SD slot up to 64 GB
  • Video & Audio Output – HDMI (Up to 4K30) and 3.5 mm AV
  • Audio / Video Playback – MKV, AVI, MP3 and MOV up to 4K resolution. AC3, Dolby and DTS audio support
  • Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi up to 120 Mbps (vs 40 Mbps for 802.11n)
  • USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port + 1x USB OTG port
  • Power – 5.2V/2.1A (sic)
  • Dimensions – 101 x 101 x 19.5 mm
  • Weight – 200g
Initial impressions and tweaks:
  1. The Box primary UI/launchers are in simplified chinese (I understand a bit of chinese, but most are beyond me so Google Translate helped!)
  2. System language can be changed to English (not sure if this is available on the basic, non-jailbroken box). I accessed the google settings by going to the Mi app store, select the bottom right option which in turn allowed me to select the option view installed Android apps which includes the settings.
  3. Added 1Mobile app store as an alternative to the chinese ones and Mi app store. I used the AOSP browser to access the 1Mobile site and downloaded the installer apk.
  4. There were 4 launchers installed in my Box. I added KK Launcher (via 1Mobile) to access all installed apps in English.
  5. Installed the vanilla XMBC for Android ARM downloaded from the site. Initially there was no video playback, only sound (which was a big disappointment!). After tweaking the advanced settings for Video Acceleration (disabled Amcodec and Mediacodec, leaving only libstagefright enabled), 1080p video worked like a charm.
  6. Still haven't figured out how to get Miracast and AirPlay to work ...
  7. Media access via DLNA works fine using the Mi Box native media browser and XMBC (SMB support available as well)
Will update this post as I explore the box further.

Jun 23, 2014
A quick update - bought the new Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard (N9Z-00028) which worked like a charm. Plug in the dongle into the USB port and it was detected without issues. Just ensure that the Android keyboard (AOSP) is enabled in the settings.

CK Ng

Members
Jun 23, 2014
how well does the keyboard work? does it have home, back and option buttons that android will recognize ?
Both the keyboard and touchpad will work natively, with Android AOSP keyboard option enabled. I haven't found the home or option buttons, but back works with the 'Esc' key. I use this in tandem with the Mi remote.

CK Ng

Members
Jun 23, 2014
Can you please list 4 launchers for our info?
Off the top of my head - there's the standard Mi TV launcher, Tuzi (rabbit) TV, VST launcher and another chinese one I can't make out (will recheck). All of the pre-installed launchers in the jb Mibox are in Chinese language.

CK Ng

Members
Jun 23, 2014
Both the keyboard and touchpad will work natively, with Android AOSP keyboard option enabled. I haven't found the home or option buttons, but back works with the 'Esc' key. I use this in tandem with the Mi remote.
Update on keyboard usage
1. The Home button above the touchpad maps to the Home key on Android. Back is Esc key. So far haven't found any key mapped to Option button.
2. Volume controls work - up, down and mute
3. Arrow keys work normally if the AOSP keyboard does not show, else it navigates the keys on the on-screen keyboard
4. Alt-Tab brings up the recent apps which can by cycled thru
5. One neat feature is a physical left mouse click button above the volume controls which comes in handy when using the keyboard with both hands - right hand clicking and left hand navigating on touchpad
6. Two finger swipes up and down will scroll up or down

Note that not all functions work on the Mi Box native launcher as it was designed for use with the remote control; works fine in KK Launcher.

Oct 16, 2013
Raffaele, what do you mean by jailbreaking ? as far as rooting, installing alternative launchers and applications, google apps,... the process is well documented in the other (main) thread about the mibox pro. http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-mi-box-pro-enhanced-edition.24532/

afaik, the reported "jailbroken" mibox pros are just regular miboxes where the seller has installed alternative launchers / apps by the same method as we've used on original miboxes.

with the mibox pro it is quite easy to bypass the icntv launcher and add your own alternative applications, without the use of external applications like snappea. just read the forum & test the solutions provided.

have fun

Aug 25, 2014
I'm trying to get full access to android. I'm using an add-on ox xbmc that requires to change the librtmp library.
the problem is that I don't have access to the folder where this library is located. plus I would like to add extra languages to the the launcher I use Tuzi Launcher.

Any Ideas???