Mi Box Mdz-16-ab - Firmware V.6.0.1.-1901

Feb 8, 2018
What are the differences in firmware 6.0.1.-1901 compared to 6.0.1.-1304?

Is it recommended to install the latest version?

Thanks

Jul 29, 2015
All my machines are upgraded to Nougat so I have not been able to try the 1901 version of MM.

Normally, there is no problem testing various builds of Xiaomi firmware as long as they are the same version of AndroidTV.

Only complication is upgrading to Nougat (AndroidTV 7) and then deciding to revert to MM (AndroidTV 6)

Are you experiencing any specific problems with your current firmware level? 1901 notes it is a 'bug fix' release for MM.

Feb 13, 2018
Hi,

I want to know the changelog of the 1901 update. On others sites, no feedback about it.
Also, this update is non ota for me...

This update is not a good news for us, nougat seems to be never release, just MM updates :(

Jul 29, 2015
Hi,

I want to know the changelog of the 1901 update. On others sites, no feedback about it.
Also, this update is non ota for me...
Changelog simply states "bug fixes". It is MM only
What problems are you having?
Give it a try, you can easily roll back

Feb 13, 2018
Sorry, no. I'm not a beta tester ;)
I know the problems around this tiny box. I don't want to spend my time rolling back to previous version if there's problems...
Also it's strange that this version is non ota. If this release is official from ota, i will install it.

On my Mibox, i don't have more problems than others users.

Issue with my box : auto frame rate / no HDR on Netflix / Amazon Prime issues and bad HDR to SDR conversion. And no HDR with Youtube
Also i noticed strange colors saturations with deep colors on (BT2020) in 4K.

Except those issues - all is fine. Kodi works nice in HDR with Atmos and DTS-X.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2015
Sorry, no. I'm not a beta tester ;)
I know the problems around this tiny box. I don't want to spend my time rolling back to previous version if there's problems...
Also it's strange that this version is non ota. If this release is official from ota, i will install it.

On my Mibox, i don't have more problems than others users.

Issue with my box : auto frame rate / no HDR on Netflix / Amazon Prime issues and bad HDR to SDR conversion. And no HDR with Youtube
Also i noticed strange colors saturations with deep colors on (BT2020) in 4K.

Except those issues - all is fine. Kodi works nice in HDR with Atmos and DTS-X.
Again, moving between different of builds on MM is simply a matter of flashing update.zip file via normal recovery.
Reverting from Nougat to MM can be hairy and tedious but can succeed, provided you are meticulously attentive to all details

All my personal miboxes are registered in beta program so I normally only get Nougat betas via ota

I did receive this MM build 1901 from usual Xiaomi servers. I think they sent it to me by mistake.

Suggest you give it a shot. Easy enough to roll back. I have no idea what are the actual implications of 1901...

Not likely to resolve afr issue.
HDR Netflix is available in some Nougat builds but introduced Youtube issues.

Amazon prime is hit or miss and requires sideload of correct version designed for Sony or Nvidia shield
HDR Youtube is not available on ANY AndroidTV platform at this time

Mar 11, 2018
Anybody has tried it?. If I upgadre I have to reinstall all from scratch or all the programs & configuration are kept?. (I am on latest MM OTA build).

I'm going to try this program to find out if HDMI self adaptation works:

"Amlogic Android Tool" ( I cant post links)

Greetings from Spain!

Jul 29, 2015
Anybody has tried it?. If I upgadre I have to reinstall all from scratch or all the programs & configuration are kept?. (I am on latest MM OTA build).

Greetings from Spain!
MM build 1901 is a simple update. It will not affect your existing programs or settings. You can easily revert to earlier MM builds using normal recovery steps.

HDMI auto-refresh is not possible for ANY Amlogic chipset for devices. like MDZ-16-AB that find official Google certification important.
You still can manually change the framerate in settings.

You may find some other small enhancements with build 1901. Give it a try and see what you find.

Jul 29, 2015
You are manifestly uninformed on the subject.

Ever heard of Google's CTS test suite?

Such a fix can be easily implemented with 2 lines of code. Unfortunately, that minor change to the factory developed firmware causes a failure noted in CTS. Xiaomi is hardly a fly-by-night maker. Google certification and cooperation is of paramount importance to them.

The only legitimate remedy is for Amlogic to modify their S905X microcode. They have refused to undertake this, and many other adaptations to their code requested by their customer base over the years.

There is nothing to preclude you from flashing Nougat beta 1028 and applying the simple patch. You can find it on the kodi.tv forum.

Dec 21, 2017

Greetings from Spain!
Avoid 1901, I've tried and downgraded after some days.
All sideloaded apps that need "special permissions" on installation can't be installed.

Mar 11, 2018
Ok, thank you for the advices. I think I'll going to stick with the current MM firmware.

I have the MiBox connected to a mid range Philips 4k Led 65PUS6262 and with KODI, if I switch the resolution/framerate manually I have almost zero stuttering issues.

Is weird because I only watch 1080p/720p content and if I switch the Mibox to 1080p I have a slight stuttering but with 4k2k res not (if this helps anybody).

Thanks again

Jul 29, 2015
Glad you got it sorted using resources that are already available. Kudos for taking personal initiative instead of pissing and moaning about how Xiaomi is an incompetent band of fools who are scamming their customers!

Aug 13, 2017
so should 1901 have been pushed out to everyone or is some sort of test build

Sent from my Xperia Z2 Tablet WiFi using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2015
so should 1901 have been pushed out to everyone or is some sort of test build

Sent from my Xperia Z2 Tablet WiFi using Tapatalk
Not sure. At this point, my info is it was erroneously passed out to Nougat beta testers, for whom it is absolutely useless. If you have a box still on MM, give it a try and see if you can derive any benefit. If not, a simple reflash to MM 1304 should revert you without issue.

Mar 11, 2018
Not sure. At this point, my info is it was erroneously passed out to Nougat beta testers, for whom it is absolutely useless. If you have a box still on MM, give it a try and see if you can derive any benefit. If not, a simple reflash to MM 1304 should revert you without issue.
Beware with 1901 FW, at least in terms of app sideloading. As Vercoza previously said: "Avoid 1901, I've tried and downgraded after some days.
All sideloaded apps that need "special permissions" on installation can't be installed."

Jan 13, 2018
hi,
can some one help me?
I have tried to update to 1901 but I have received message 'Error'.
Currently I have 1560.

Currently does not work to enter in recovery by remote so I have used miboy method with the file: xiaomi_update
and content
--update_package=/udisk/update.zip

What should I do to continue use the updates?
Is any way to force flash?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018
hi,
can some one help me?
I have tried to update to 1901 but I have received message 'Error'.
Currently I have 1560.

Currently does not work to enter in recovery by remote so I have used miboy method with the file: xiaomi_update
and content
--update_package=/udisk/update.zip

What should I do to continue use the updates?
Is any way to force flash?
You can't update from nougat beta back to stable mm.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk