[mi Box Pro] [en] - Root And Language Change Guide

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by iRob87, Feb 28, 2015.

1. iRob87

iRob87Members

[​IMG]

Welcome to the definitive guide about Root and Jailbreak of Xiaomi Mi Box Pro (as known as ‘Mi Box 3rd’ or ‘Mi Box Enhanced’).

What you need:
    • Xiaomi Mi Box 3rd Generation (with firmware equal or greater than v1.3.50 - tested with v1.3.73)
    • A Pc (or VirtualMachine) running Windows 7/8/8.1
    • HDMI cable
    • USB to microUSB cable
    • USB Mouse (Wireless Mouse doesn't work)
    • TV/Monitor near the PC (with HDMI-in)
    • USB PenDrive (FAT32)
    • MicroSD (FAT32)

First of all connect the Mi Box to power and to TV/Monitor with HDMI cable.

Wait for the Mi Box to start, and then you will see the main page:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the UI will be in Chinese and you can't set English language until you will Root the Mi Box.

Let's start.

1. Using the remote, go to "Settings" and enter:
    [​IMG]

2. Let's move, with the remote, on the icon you can see here:
    [​IMG]

3. Now you got these two options:
    [​IMG]

First option let you to install Apps from unknown sources;
    Second option refer to ADB;
    4. You need to change them to “允许” (allow):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Now let's setup the PC/VirtualMachine:
    • Download and Install Android Studio http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    • Download and unzip on Desktop “miboxproroot_ROM_GreaterThan_1.3.50.zip”
    • Download and run “RootGenius_en.exe” (you will just use this to let Windows to install ADB Driver for Mi Box)
    • Connect the MiBox to PC/VirtualMachine with the USB to microUSB cable
    • Click on 'Next' and wait for RootGenius to automatically download and install the driver
    • Now you can quit RootGenius

6. Now insert the microSD in the PC and format it in FAT32; then insert it in the Mi Box
    [​IMG]

7. Now go to “miboxproroot_ROM_GreaterThan_1.3.50” folder and double-click on “mibox3GEN_root_en.bat”

You will see a Command Prompt window:
    [​IMG]

** You need to do these steps with Mi Box connected to TV: you have to use the remote to allow script to run as soon as you will see the popup on Mi Box UI **

8. Press Enter in the Command Prompt window

9. Now move your eyes to TV and allow the script to run with the remote by press on “允许” (allow)

10. At this time the script will Root the Mi Box. Once it will finish the Mi Box will automatically reboot itself and then you will be able to see 'Super SU' icon on Home page

11. Remove both USB cable and microSD

Now let's install Apex Launcher (that you will use to switch from Chinese to English):

12. Connect a PenDrive to the PC (and format it in FAT32), then copy “com.anddoes.launcher.apk” on it

13. Remove the PenDrive from the PC and connect it to USB port on Mi Box

14. Mi Box will notify you about a removable storage: with remote go to USB icon on the upper side of Mi Box UI

15. Go to PenDrive and open “com.anddoes.launcher.apk”

16. Let’s install APK allowing ROOT permission

17. Once the installation is done back to Home screen and let's start Apex Launcher:
    [​IMG]

18. Go to Settings:
    [​IMG]

19. With remote go to this option:
    [​IMG]

20. Press enter on this:
    [​IMG]

21. Select 'English'
    [​IMG]

22. Go back to Home screen with remote and you will see the English UI:
    [​IMG]

You can download both Apps and Scripts from this source: https://drive.google.com/folderview...lkOWk1MmdPaERzYU44RnBjMXd4eTBKbGs&usp=sharing

My work is a refined version of other users work. I would like to thank anyone who made it possible:
    http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/thread-10879298-1-1.html
    http://en.miui.com/thread-66761-1-1.html

--xazac

2. iRob87

iRob87Members

3. neking

nekingMembers

Mar 1, 2015
    Male
    Thank Bro. Working Well. Now My Mibox is ROOTED.

4. Gabriel

GabrielMembers

Feb 18, 2012
    Male
    Firefighter
    Cluj-Napoca
    Root is ok! but his resolve to go with google play, it would be best ... Thanks

5. neking

nekingMembers

Mar 1, 2015
    Male
    Somebody can help me about google play to install Rooted Mi box pro version ? Thank

6. Gabriel

GabrielMembers

Feb 18, 2012
    Male
    Firefighter
    Cluj-Napoca
    Are tutorials on youtube , to install google play , but google play does not work !!!
    Download apk, put them on a stik or card, and you can install ... good luck

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

7. Bennibaba

BennibabaMembers

Mar 3, 2015
    #7Bennibaba,Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Hello everybody, I hope I can find some answers here.
    First of all thanks for the nice guidlines.
    My questions:
    1.) After I root the mibox, can I use apps from the goolge play store? (copying the .apk files from a usb drive)
    2.) Whats the difference compared to the guidline of your source (the one from knightng)?
    3.) I am a little bit confused, i looked at your tutorial and at the tutorial of knightng, but I can't find the xiami app store on my mi box? Can you give me a hint?
    4.) After I root(ed?) the device, is it possible to watch TV from china AND other countries, while beeing not in china?
    5.) The newest firmware upgrade is 1.3.7.3, am I right?

8. iRob87

iRob87Members

Hello!
    1) Yes you can, Playstore doesn't work at the moment;
    2) I think my guide is more clear and deep because it's a really step-by-step guide. Isn't it?
    3) The Xiaomi App Store is the 3rd panel from left
    4) It doesn't work for me; but Radio works
    5) Yes, 1.3.73 is latest firmware

9. Bennibaba

BennibabaMembers

Mar 3, 2015
    #9Bennibaba,Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Ok thank you for your fast help. Yes your tutorial is perfect! Thanks.

One question about 1). on the miui.com site (the thread you refered to), the author says it is possible to E. Installing Google Apps. Stupid question, but why should i install the framwork? If the store isnt working^

I rooted my device, thank you very much :) After the root can i clean the micro sd and use it as memory for my mibox? or shell I keep the files and dont change anything?

And can I say to the mibox that I want my data saved on the sd card?

One last thing, I rooted it and it is working like charme. But now I want access to the sd card and every time it starts loading for a second and then it jumps back to the main menu. Whats wrong?

10. Bennibaba

BennibabaMembers

Mar 3, 2015
    And one thing, if I reset the mibox, do i have to unroot it first?

11. hmanxx

hmanxxMembers

Aug 31, 2014
    #11hmanxx,Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Hi,,
    First of all, thanks for the guide. I manage to root it with the difference of not using the RootGenius package.

I was stuck with the ADB driver access stage initially till i recalled that i could force driver installation with existing Nexus generic ADB Interface.
    You can get the known package from Android SDK site. or google search Ändroid USB Driver", this will bring you to download the Latest USB driver for Google Nexus devices (8MB) .
    https://dl-ssl.google.com//android/repository/latest_usb_driver_windows.zip

Reason for not using RootGenius.exe package , I tried Google search, ended up getting virus warning thus dont dare to use unknown package.

I strongly advise those who want to root..do not run the batch file first ..but carry out a manual confirmation step to ensure ADB access is properly setup.
    Properly setup
    => With USB cable connected between PC and MiBox USB port(MicroUSB) Windows Device Manager does not shown ! mark on the Mibox2 device..
    => From Command Prompt, Go to folder location where ADB.exe located , issue comm, and "adb devices" , you should see a response of listing connected device.. try another command "adb shell ls" , you should see the file listing

Side Note: Alterantively you can edit the driver setup configuration .inf file to contain the VID and PID information for the MiBox 2. With Device Manager ,clicking on the Mibox 2,properties ,select HardwareID will provide this information. Once VID and PID information are matched..windows will install the generic driver

12. Sakat

SakatMembers

Feb 1, 2013
    Male
    Actually is there a vpn application installed by default in the Mibox (and Mitv)? like in the xiaomi phones.
    I'm thinking to get one but I'm in China so need vpn to access to YouTube..

Another question (maybe I should open a new topic), is there anything the Xiaomi box does that isn't possible with the xiaomi TV? (said differently, if I have a mitv does the Mibox still has any use?)

13. Fran_G

Fran_GMembers

May 19, 2015
    Male
    Spain
    First of all, thank you to @iRob87 for such a detailed guide.

Second, sorry for my bad English :oops:

Third, I'd like to say that I tried this rooting method in my Box with firmware 1.3.83, but unfortunately it does not work. I succeded in translating the launcher to English, it is not necessary to get root.

Thank you.

14. iRob87

iRob87Members

That's a really nice thing to know! Thank you for sharing

15. Arnis

ArnisMembers

Mar 17, 2013
    Male
  16. Gabriel

GabrielMembers

Feb 18, 2012
    Male
    Firefighter
    Cluj-Napoca
    You can leave more! what settings to help? Thx

17. Arnis

ArnisMembers

Mar 17, 2013
    Male
    its like a shortcut to android settings not launcher. You dont need to install any other louncher to be able to change language.
    it opens to[​IMG]

18. Gabriel

GabrielMembers

Feb 18, 2012
    Male
    Firefighter
    Cluj-Napoca
    aaa ok! thx, but I have a problem after the last update, mi box ... Kodi program can not see the movies, does that? I reinstalled, all from the beginning and just ... go Kodi but do not go the movies ...

19. Arnis

ArnisMembers

Mar 17, 2013
    Male
    in kodi You have to make a link for source where is video folder. when addind video folder it dose not show movies. but after creating folder the movies are in -video-files-"folder name"

20. Gabriel

GabrielMembers

Feb 18, 2012
    Male
    Firefighter
    Cluj-Napoca
    Curent version 1.3.82 stabile
    How to revert to the previous version? thanks

21. Wawan Koswara

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Dear Fran please show me how

22. Fran_G

Fran_GMembers

May 19, 2015
    Male
    Spain
    Like other users say, i installed an app that can access to original android settings, i do not remember now its name, but it is a tv launcher. Then i could change regional and language to english (only chinese and english to select).

Cannot set other launcher by default, though.

23. SOHOO

SOHOOMembers

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Curent version 1.3.83 stabile
    How Can root ????

24. iRob87

iRob87Members

Hello,

It's not possible yet to root latest version (1.3.83). I don't know when (and if) there will be a root procedure for it!

25. SOHOO

SOHOOMembers

May 28, 2015
    Male
    Hi bro just me downgrade already 1.3.83 to 1.3.61
    Is it now can do root xiaomi TV box ?

Share Our Site