Mi3 large ram consumption

imortalitzik

Members
Mar 9, 2013
Hi, i just bought MI3W set, i notice this version MIUI-4.5.16 without Root take more than 1G RAM in Normal use?
it left 500M/2G RAM, i only install a few apps so far only...
May i know how about your MI3W set?
Phone running fine n battery drain normal, i just wonder it take so much RAM thanks for help

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk 2

MIUI is known for using quite a lot of RAM, so it's normal.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Yes but at my previous mi2s , i have been left with 1g free after a clean update. Here i got only 500mb . So i guess it is up to the dev team to improve it

Mi3 and Mi2 are not the same. You can't compared them, especially if they have such different software (4.4 vs 4.1).

Wysłane z MI3

I know, i have just wanted to know if others have low ram like i do

I too have about 500mb free RAM.
Is there any thing I can do to improve thr ram consumption?

first of all, remove or disable auto start up of apps what u not use (4 example I have many apps, but I need that they will run even when I'm not watching in it is weather and viber)
then create energy usage profile, to auto clean up memory after 1 min ant then u will have ~1gb ram

Mi3 and Mi2 are not the same. You can't compared them, especially if they have such different software (4.4 vs 4.1).

Wysłane z MI3
Well, in fact you should expect that after comparing, Mi3 would be better.
But in terms of RAM usage and multitasking, I feel it much worse than on Mi2s.

It's a fact that Xiaomi needs to improve software performance, specially on Mi3.

Definitely, it will. It won't need to free up RAM so often. There will be enough RAM available for better multitasking, that means that you won't lose all your progress while playing a game if you receive a call and the game needs to be ended, for example.
"Free RAM is wasted RAM" is a cliche that has been largely misunderstood.

Ram in Mi3 is dynamically used. Iv been looking at this having that panel from Security app with ram usage in Notification shade. When e.g opening Browser some portion of ram is freed. This is easy to observe. I've left phone last night with 330M free and today morning I have almost 500M. And I'm not using any ram free functions. I think there's no much issue with ram here. The system will take as much ram as it needs to do its jobs.

Wysłane z MI3

Definitely, it will. It won't need to free up RAM so often. There will be enough RAM available for better multitasking, that means that you won't lose all your progress while playing a game if you receive a call and the game needs to be ended, for example.
"Free RAM is wasted RAM" is a cliche that has been largely misunderstood.

No sir, the one you call a clichè is a method to force phone refill ram with something it could have in cache yet. So free ram is wasted ram in a system that dinamically uses it, and forcely freeing it wastes battery too on reloading what the system had just loaded yet.

But we're not taking about forcing system to free more ram than needed. The problem is the aplications and framework of the rom use too much ram. It's better to do the same needing 500mb than needing 1gb, right?

But we're not taking about forcing system to free more ram than needed. The problem is the aplications and framework of the rom use too much ram. It's better to do the same needing 500mb than needing 1gb, right?

Well of course sure it's better that an application needs less ram than before :)
But even if after some usage hours i have 300-500mb ram free i've never experienced any lag or slowness due to not enough available ram, and this let me think that the system takes the ram in advance dinamically using it where needed, so maybe it's better to let it make its job till any slowness is clearly noticeable imho.

True. But this case is more complex than you think. Let's say you have only 500M free after boot. But you can still load very high ram demanding process like Chrome or games right? The space occupied by framework is not hard limited to apps. This is still dynamic. If say Chrome wants to use 800M (which is not possible overall) then this app will get the amount it needs.

The other side is that our roms are worst in case of ram usage than stock MIUI. We have Google Play services included in roms and 20 languages in each app. That makes ram usage much higher than clean, stock MIUI.

Wysłane z MI3

I agree. But we were first talking about Mi2s vs Mi3 in terms of ram usage. And I think that there is a problem with software optimization on Mi3,because in my Mi3 I can't play Real Racing 3 and receive a call at the same time (even if I use the one click ram cleaner). When I want to go back to the game, it has been closed.
And in my old Mi2s, I could leave the game in background for hours.

I agree. But we were first talking about Mi2s vs Mi3 in terms of ram usage. And I think that there is a problem with software optimization on Mi3,because in my Mi3 I can't play Real Racing 3 and receive a call at the same time (even if I use the one click ram cleaner). When I want to go back to the game, it has been closed.
And in my old Mi2s, I could leave the game in background for hours.

Could it be related to Real Racing not put among the app with permission to run in background?

I'm not sure, I think there's no problem with the app since it worked perfect on the mi2s, but maybe being a different version of android, the developers should adapt something...
But it would sound strange to me.

I too get this issue with my Mi3. I start getting graphical glitches the less ram I have available. A reboot fixes the issue for a couple days. I almost have to reboot the phone every night.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk