Mi5 Problems With Touch

Jun 10, 2017
I've mi5 from approximatly 9 month and i love this terminal , but from 3 days i've a big problem.
when i'm using it , randomly the touch doesn't respond and i've to reboot my device for fix the problem temporary. i've tried to fix by passing from the china stable to xiaomi.eu rom and for the first 3 hours i've belived it was fixed. But nothing, the problem persist.
Can anyone help me, plz? (sry for my ENG)

Reactions: Koukos and pajser92
I've mi5 from approximatly 9 month and i love this terminal , but from 3 days i've a big problem.
when i'm using it , randomly the touch doesn't respond and i've to reboot my device for fix the problem temporary. i've tried to fix by passing from the china stable to xiaomi.eu rom and for the first 3 hours i've belived it was fixed. But nothing, the problem persist.
Can anyone help me, plz? (sry for my ENG)
Hello which touch you mean ? Touchscreen ? Homebutton ? Back or menu buttons ?

Envoyé de mon MI 5 en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi, any screen protector recently applied?
Perhaps some dust between it and your screen....
Yoh from Tahiti

I have the same issue. I have to reboot it several times each hour. I upgraded it to the last version.

It's not the screen protector because it works after reboot. I will return to my old LG G2 because this phone is useless. It worked fine for a couple of months and then stopped working.

And no news from Xiaomi. Very sad this lack of support.

What's the color of your phone? I have both 64gb white and black models. It's the white model that's having the touchscreen issues. Panel manufacturer is LG. On the black one it's JDI.

What's the color of your phone? I have both 64gb white and black models. It's the white model that's having the touchscreen issues. Panel manufacturer is LG. On the black one it's JDI.

The colour is white. Any idea on how to solve this ? Why does it start working after a reboot ? Does this seems to be a software problem ?

I hope this is just a software problem. Both phones are running on the same firmware version, and it's only the white model that have touchscreen issues. Scheduling a daily restart temporarily fixes the problem.

I hope this is just a software problem. Both phones are running on the same firmware version, and it's only the white model that have touchscreen issues. Scheduling a daily restart temporarily fixes the problem.

I have to reboot several times each hour. It's a disgrace.

I have the same problem, but it doesn't happen often. I noticed that it usually happens when I connect my phone to my PC's USB 3.0 port for slow charging. After reaching 100% it sometimes gets laggy, stops responding normally and I have to restart it.

Also, I have white 64gb model, but my panel is made by Sharp.
It's definitely not a hardware issue, since the touch works flawlessly after rebooting, meaning there is something inside software that bugs it out.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, but it doesn't happen often. I noticed that it usually happens when I connect my phone to my PC's USB 3.0 port for slow charging. After reaching 100% it sometimes gets laggy, stops responding as it should and I have to restart it.

Also, I have white 64gb model, but my panel is made by Sharp.
It's definitely not a hardware issue, since the touch works flawlessly after rebooting, meaning there is something inside software that bugs him out.

Well, at least we now know it's not a model specific issue. I thought it only affects the white version with LG-made panel.

Well, at least we now know it's not a model specific issue. I thought it only affects the white version with LG-made panel.
Well I don't see why would it be related only to "white" models. I mean, afaik color has nothing to do with internal components of the phone, white can be both 32gb and 64gb, and also it can have the same parts as the black or gold model, and those are what make phone work, not the color.

Yes you're right. That was my initial theory. Apparently I was wrong.
The two screens have different calibrations. My though was: specific screen has to match the color of the phone, which was not the case.

The question now is: Can this be fixed? Software update maybe.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, but it doesn't happen often. I noticed that it usually happens when I connect my phone to my PC's USB 3.0 port for slow charging. After reaching 100% it sometimes gets laggy, stops responding normally and I have to restart it...

In my case, as the day went by, the phone just become laggy and the screen becomes slow in registering touches... Restarting it fixes the problem.

I have an MI5 Pro, and one of this mornings the touchscreen stops working. I have Miui 9, the welcome screen appears then I cant do anything else. Can anyone help me?

I've installed 8.5.3.0 and the problem remains. I've changed phone,I am unable to work with mine having to reboot several times each hour

Can anyone using some other ROM (e.g. Lineage, or RR) verify that this problem doesn't exist on their phones? Also, do we know if this is xiaomi.eu's problem only, or this also happens on China and Global?

Reactions: Rogério Neiva
I have the same issue here. Tested it in several miuiu versions inclunding miui 8 and 9. I read somewhere that it's software issue. It needs to be heard from admins asap, its causing a lot of trouble. White model 32gb here

I don't want to spend 100€ replacing the screen just to find out it's not a hardware issue related to it. A little help from Xiaomi would be apreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Athanase
I have mi 5 64 GB white model. I also have this issue but it only happens after using firefox. After a restart touch works normally.

I have mi 5 64 GB white model. I also have this issue but it only happens after using firefox. After a restart touch works normally.

Mine also works OK after a restart but the problems is that restarts are very frequent in my case. I do not use Firefox.

It also happens in Lineage OS, i tested it. Same problem here. Anyone with a diagnosis yet?

!!!ATTENTION!!!
FINALLY A SOLVE HERE--!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't have time to read diagnosis and understand the problem and you just want to solve the problem, jump to (2) but I suggested to read it all so you have some idea of the problem.
(1)--DIAGNOSIS
After a lot and when I say a lot I mean a lot of research finally I found a solve in mi forum. A guy help out.
First of all it's not software issue. After I tested several miui roms and Lingeage OS software is not causing that. I know you start to worry because it is hardware issue but don't worry, this solution is so easyyyy!!
Pay attention.
The problem causing this is LCD connector. I attached a photo so you can check.
A guy suggested that we should put insulation tape on battery connector and button connector as shown in the picture. After some tests figured out that those weren't causing any trouble but the LCD connector is doing the damage. Through some tests I believe that the problem is heat. I think LCD connector (without being complete sure) when it's heating up it is starting malfunctioning. Another guy suggested that we should put insulation tape in that LCD connector. I also tested it. It worked for a while but still issue appeared again. So what I did it might you permanent solution. Well, the problem is not really the LCD connector but the foam on the plate is defective. What I did is removing the foam from the plate by pulling it. I didn't even apply insulation tape, giving the LCD connector space to 'breathe' and function properly. This might be caused by poor material of LCD connector.
(2)
Solve step by step.
a) Open up phone's back cover. Use this site to see how:
http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/xiaomi-mi5-teardown/
b) Remove screws from top side in the back of the phone.
c) Remove LCD connector's foam (that soft think on the plastic plate)
d) that's it. Put it all back as it was but don't make the screw too tight. Good as new!!
I have attached photos to help you

I didnt find the fix. I just added the idea to remove just the foam.
These guys did find it. Give them a thanks. here:
http://en.miui.com/thread-291453-7-1.html
You can try their methods too. Whatever it works for you. This thing with foam remove maybe works for me and maybe for some other will work with insulation tape.

Good luck!

210728hhlgjth99ybbv5j6.jpg

Attachments

• 210728hhlgjth99ybbv5j6.jpg.thumb.jpg
    210728hhlgjth99ybbv5j6.jpg.thumb.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 4,479
  • 211558kx8f2fr4jzx7bz7n.jpg
    211558kx8f2fr4jzx7bz7n.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,936
Reactions: andrei80
!!!ATTENTION!!!
FINALLY A SOLVE HERE--!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't have time to read diagnosis and understand the problem and you just want to solve the problem, jump to (2) but I suggested to read it all so you have some idea of the problem.
(1)--DIAGNOSIS
After a lot and when I say a lot I mean a lot of research finally I found a solve in mi forum. A guy help out.
First of all it's not software issue. After I tested several miui roms and Lingeage OS software is not causing that. I know you start to worry because it is hardware issue but don't worry, this solution is so easyyyy!!
Pay attention.
The problem causing this is LCD connector. I attached a photo so you can check.
A guy suggested that we should put insulation tape on battery connector and button connector as shown in the picture. After some tests figured out that those weren't causing any trouble but the LCD connector is doing the damage. Through some tests I believe that the problem is heat. I think LCD connector (without being complete sure) when it's heating up it is starting malfunctioning. Another guy suggested that we should put insulation tape in that LCD connector. I also tested it. It worked for a while but still issue appeared again. So what I did it might you permanent solution. Well, the problem is not really the LCD connector but the foam on the plate is defective. What I did is removing the foam from the plate by pulling it. I didn't even apply insulation tape, giving the LCD connector space to 'breathe' and function properly. This might be caused by poor material of LCD connector.
(2)
Solve step by step.
a) Open up phone's back cover. Use this site to see how:
http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/xiaomi-mi5-teardown/
b) Remove screws from top side in the back of the phone.
c) Remove LCD connector's foam (that soft think on the plastic plate)
d) that's it. Put it all back as it was but don't make the screw too tight. Good as new!!
I have attached photos to help you

I didnt find the fix. I just added the idea to remove just the foam.
These guys did find it. Give them a thanks. here:
http://en.miui.com/thread-291453-7-1.html
You can try their methods too. Whatever it works for you. This thing with foam remove maybe works for me and maybe for some other will work with insulation tape.

Good luck!

210728hhlgjth99ybbv5j6.jpg

Hello everybody!

For everyone who is also having a problem with touch, there is another group in another Xiomi forum with many people with the same problem. See also, in the link below:

http://en.miui.com/thread-291453-1-1.html

You are not alone !!!

Xiaomi says nothing about this. But, yes! This is a hardware failure.

And, it´s not only on mi5 model, if you google search for "Xiaomi touch stop working" you will find lots of people with another models with the same problem too.

I think only a global recall could solve this. We have to press Xiaomi for this!

That is all.