Mi8 force encryption

landryna

Members
Aug 15, 2018
HI guys! I have noticed that Xiaomi.eu ROMs dont have device encryption enabled by default. There is also no way to manually encrypt the phone as it would crash. While searching for the solutions I have found some solutions such as https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/howto-encryption-on-a-mi-6-with-xiaomi-eu-roms.43286/ but those do not work on MI8.

Any suggestions how encryption could be enabled on EU roms? With newest TWRP which does support it our unlocked devices could be much more secured.

did you try encrypt it in the settings? works fine for me on MI5...

did you try encrypt it in the settings? works fine for me on MI5...
Hi. Encryption from settings doesn't work. After reboot it says that process was interrupted and it does crash. It's a common issue for Mi8 on forums.

While on global ROMs encryption is enabled by default there seem to be no way to secure Mi8 with EU rom

Hi,

Does anybody have a solution fit this? Phone still doesnt boot after encrypting from settings.

I also experience the same issue, as encryption sometime is an essential to enable work profile if you work in some organisation that manage their own GSuite domain, it is strongly recommend to fix this issue at least enable this option in settings for who really need this feature, as we are fully aware of encryption may slow down the phone.

option is enabled on MI8 with 8.8.30, encryption process starts after a reboot, but it doesn't finish successful, phone show that the encryption process was interrupted and data were lost, than only reset and "format data" will help....I#m not sure if this is a xiaomi.eu issue or more a twrp issue.

on my mi5s encryption works really fine with xiaomi.eu

Were you guys able to encrypt after the last post? I just tried with on 8.9.13 and I had to factory reset because the process didn't all the way to the end. Right now I'm taking the opurtunity to update to 8.9.20 but I'm guessing it'll be the same result. I need the encryption in order to be able to receive my work email on my Mi 8.

the info from xda is correct, you can encrypt by editing /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom. all you need to do is replace "encryptable=ice" "to fileencryption=ice" in that file.
note that you cant do this without formatting userdata and flashing clean.
be aware that you have to redo this after every update or the phone wont boot.

in order to make it work, you have to format /userdata
wipe /system and /cache
then flash rom
flash this h**ps://w*w.dropbox.com/s/ui2ao16mlxgf8xr/forceencrypt_eu_8.10.25.pie.zip?dl=0
flash magisk
reboot

then when you update, just do the same without formatting /userdata.

the zip also works on 8.11.8, and i guess it should work on new versions also.

i do not know what happens if you dont flash magisk since i never tried. i dont see a reason why it wouldnt work, but i can be wrong.
also, if you have issues, search xda. i dont intend to offer support if things go wrong, but the procedure is quite straightforward especially if you use the zip.

Thanks, but since this is my primary phone I can't afford to re-install everything with each update. Any chance this might be fixed in a later rom update or is the issue too deep?

Reactions: skejpa
Thanks, but since this is my primary phone I can't afford to re-install everything with each update. Any chance this might be fixed in a later rom update or is the issue too deep?

read again mate. you only have to do clean flash the first time, on updates al you have to do is flash one more zip

I had encryption on all the time and i did only dirty flashing of new weekly rom. But after wipe with coming to MIUI 12 i am not encrypted anymore. Right now i am looking for encryption again and what is the easiest way to do it but did not find any.
I am totaly sure i was no editing fstab last time. It was surely some zip flashed through TWRP. Any ideas for MIUI 12 ? :)

I had encryption on all the time and i did only dirty flashing of new weekly rom. But after wipe with coming to MIUI 12 i am not encrypted anymore. Right now i am looking for encryption again and what is the easiest way to do it but did not find any.
I am totaly sure i was no editing fstab last time. It was surely some zip flashed through TWRP. Any ideas for MIUI 12 ? :)
Any advanced in this field?
Thank you

Thank you
You need to create forceencrypt.zip file and flash it everytime you flash new rom (after flashing rom and before booting the rom for the first time).
Like this I stayed encrypted all the time which helped me with work profile at my work.
Dont ask me how I did the forceencrypt.zip , I did it like 2 years ago :D You will have to google it like I did last time :D Sorry...

Reactions: Bórtex
Thank you
Yes!
post above is the prove.
And you have some topic on subject with the relevant file to be be flashed at every new rom install.
Strange you said you were encrypted for long before because this issue has always been present with EU rom....

Reactions: Bórtex
Yes!
post above is the prove.
And you have some topic on subject with the relevant file to be be flashed at every new rom install.
Strange you said you were encrypted for long before because this issue has always been present with EU rom....
All the options requiere wipe data?