Mibox after update to Oreo has no build-in Documents manager( com.android.documentsui).

Oct 29, 2017

image only illustrates

- Mibox after update to Oreo has no build-in file/document manager. Apps have "Save" function rely on it will failed to save anything end up with a message "no apps to complete this action" ( I dont remember exactly) and have no option to choose other apps

- Also some apps use it to gain external drive access permission will failed too.

Please add it to master bugs list.

/To be clear: I have installed almost every different 3rd party file manager but nothing works. Same message "no apps to complete this action".

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018
YOu can get ES Explorer from the Playstore.
Do you know how to enable sideloading, there is not toggle switch for unknown sources install under Settings -> Security and Privacy

Thanks

Mar 31, 2018
There isn't an official file manager in the system partition as you mentioned. But sure why as it would be awesome even if it was basic. It was like this in Marshmallow too. You'll have to download a file manager from the Play Store to use for now.

Jul 18, 2018
YOu can get ES Explorer from the Playstore.
Do you know how to enable sideloading, there is not toggle switch for unknown sources install under Settings -> Security and Privacy
Had the same issue after factory refresh.. Baffled me for a while..

Install ES explorer.. Then reboot box.. After reboot the ability to allow ES explorer to install apps comes up.. Without the reboot theres no toggle.

Jul 19, 2018
Any working alternative to "full-of-ads" ES?
Got Solid Explorer, MIXplorer, and few other installed, but it still shows me about disabled built-in file manager.

Jul 7, 2018
Had the same issue after factory refresh.. Baffled me for a while..

Install ES explorer.. Then reboot box.. After reboot the ability to allow ES explorer to install apps comes up.. Without the reboot theres no toggle.
Ok so I did reinstall es and restarted. Don’t see the toggle under settings-> security and privacy-> unknown sources.
Am I missing something?

Dec 18, 2017
Sadly, people don't even know what i'm talking about. Look at the picture, please! If you still don't know what I mean, I quit.
Yes. That's true. It's the worst thing ever done by Xiaomi.

It's not all about simply file management. People do not try to understand & comes up with the suggestions. Actually lack of documentsui completely breaks the apps that relies on Storage Access Framework. You can't even change (rename or delete) the files on the external storage.

Dec 29, 2017
This is only related to external storage. MIBOX3 doesn't have storage other than internal one so I highly doubt this will ever get supported.
Fix should be easy though but it may happen that this is intentionally done, for example preventing you to use capturing apps to record Netflix shows on external storage.

Feb 10, 2017
- Mibox after update to Oreo has no build-in file/document manager. Apps have "Save" function rely on it will failed to save anything end up with a message "no apps to complete this action" ( I dont remember exactly) and have no option to choose other apps

- Also some apps use it to gain external drive access permission will failed too.

Please add it to master bugs list.

/To be clear: I have installed almost every different 3rd party file manager but nothing works. Same message "no apps to complete this action".
aaand I already posted this... but its not even on MM for as long as I remember....
maybe it's just not a part of AndroidTV system?

I tried to install it manually via apk sideload but it can't get proper access to Storage Framework..
apparently it needs to be a system app to work properly....

Oct 29, 2017
aaand I already posted this... but its not even on MM for as long as I remember....
maybe it's just not a part of AndroidTV system?

I tried to install it manually via apk sideload but it can't get proper access to Storage Framework..
apparently it needs to be a system app to work properly....
No. MM has documentsui. 100%

And yes. I tried to install it, too.

Feb 10, 2017
I quoted this from: https://github.com/x-falcon/Virtual-Hosts/issues/16

I have the same issue on my Xiaomi MiBox running 6.0.1

I tried sideloading the DocumentsUI.apk linked by @x-falcon (I believe it's the 5.1.1 version) as well as this one I found on apk mirror for 6.0.1

I was able to install the former but it didn't work (tried rebooting). The 6.0.1 one didn't want to install for me.

A built-in file manager would be much appreciated :)

Edit: I was able to install the 6.0.1 version after uninstalling the 5.1.1 version, though it still doesn't work :/

Junly

Members
Oct 29, 2017
I quoted this from: https://github.com/x-falcon/Virtual-Hosts/issues/16

I have the same issue on my Xiaomi MiBox running 6.0.1

I tried sideloading the DocumentsUI.apk linked by @x-falcon (I believe it's the 5.1.1 version) as well as this one I found on apk mirror for 6.0.1

I was able to install the former but it didn't work (tried rebooting). The 6.0.1 one didn't want to install for me.

A built-in file manager would be much appreciated :)

Edit: I was able to install the 6.0.1 version after uninstalling the 5.1.1 version, though it still doesn't work :/
MM doesnt have documentui?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Aug 9, 2018
I've been a long time read-only user here, but I just registered today to say that this needs to be fixed. Before, in Nougat, I could delete files from my external drive no problem, or rename them, but now with Oreo I just can't, and this is such an easy thing to fix in an OTA, really.
So please, some needs to make Xiaomi fix this, or at least make them know.

Aug 12, 2018
Hello,

Anyone from XIAOMI team aware of that issue ?
Please take a look on this thread on the XDA:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ap...-android-tv-oreo-access-t3810282/post77112307

Missing com.android.documentsui makes external NTFS HDD useless now !

None of the file-browsers work now. ES Explorer (often quoted) will not even install properly (I'm getting flipped screen to confirm the privacy policies which I cannot accept)

BTW Formatting external HDD to internal drive is not a solution at all - it is a workaround.

Dec 18, 2017
Hello,

Anyone from XIAOMI team aware of that issue ?
Please take a look on this thread on the XDA:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/ap...-android-tv-oreo-access-t3810282/post77112307

Missing com.android.documentsui makes external NTFS HDD useless now !

None of the file-browsers work now. ES Explorer (often quoted) will not even install properly (I'm getting flipped screen to confirm the privacy policies which I cannot accept)

BTW Formatting external HDD to internal drive is not a solution at all - it is a workaround.
Formatting the HDD as internal drive is a worst idea. You can only access the HDD as long as the exception key presents on the system memory. If you reset the device or change the device, you will loose everything.

Aug 15, 2018
its unfortunate but this built of the Oreo rom is broken in Manny user interface key aspects, check this out
-No write access to external storage
-no exfat support
-no proper Android TV recents APP
-no working shortcuts for recents management
-and some others I can't remember now
What a great update all review from this box stated that it is the most like to the Nvidía shield on the market but since Oreo is the worse tv box I ever tested I hope that some independent developer gets interested in this box and builds a proper rom for it coz I lost my hopes for it to be what it once was before Oreo, my MiBox3 is for sale, I hardly doubt that Xioami is going to properly fix this box they got newer devices to sell why should they worry for those that are already sold, and there is the MiBox4 as well soon they will release an international version, it's all the same unfortunately I was hopping that Xioami was not like the other Chinese brands but it seams they are, selling my MiBox3 as soon as possible, the only way for them to fix this is with a new build I hardly believe that's hapenning