MiTV 2 [rooted]

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by hongkongkiwi, Jun 29, 2014.

1. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    #1hongkongkiwi,Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

Managed to Root the Xiaomi MiTV 2. I had to do it because it was in Chinese and I couldn't wanted to switch to english.

As you all know, the stock launcher cannot be switched to English (I'm thinking we can open up the APK and translate some as a project). Is Anybody willing to work together on this? Are there any other projects already trying to do this?

So I had a couple of questions for you....

(1) What launcher do you use on your Mi Box/TV?
    There are many launchers but it's hard to get ones that look beautiful on our TV.
    (2) Do you know of any way we can setup shortcuts to goto different input sources on the TV...
    I still have to use the stock launcher for this :-(
    (3) Are there any apps that can help us on the MiBox/TV? I've used the change locale app, and I've installed XBMC but wondering if there are any specific development for these devices (chinese websites etc?)
    (4) Can we disable that annoying screensaver on the stock launcher?

Sero_t and Plajz0r like this.
  2. ingbrzy

ingbrzyXiaomi.eu Multilang leader
    Staff Member

Actually in MiTV 2 is EN language but can't be set in the settings... If you are rooted, download app MoreLocale2 and set EN locale there...

Anyway more about MiTV is on bbs.xiaomi.cn
    ~Tapatalk~

tadikas likes this.
  3. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Thanks for the link!

I've changed the locale to english, however the interface (launcher) is still in Chinese, including the launcher settings.... e.g. pair bluetooth remote etc. I'm not exactly sure what actually is supposed to change when changing the locale to english unless I swap to another launcher?

4. The screen saver can easily be disabled. See my post 61 in mibox pro thread. I use launcherpro as launcher. nothing fancy but does the job. I hear you can hack the xbmc apk to have it recognized as a launcher by android but have not done so.

5. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Thanks! For future heres the link:
    http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/xiaomi-mi-box-pro-enhanced-edition.24532/page-4#post-213671

I found two alternate launchers:
    VST Launcher & Rabbit Launcher - They both have built in settings specially for MiBox but they are both in Chinese. Do you know any English launchers that have some special MiBox specific settings?

I found this link which looks promising but couldn't find any actual download links for that guys work:
    http://en.miui.com/thread-3437-1-1.html

6. ingbrzy

Staff Member

how did you root your MiTV2..? can you make a /system backup via ADB..? we need latest MiTV ROM....

7. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    #7hongkongkiwi,Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    I used QuickRoot to root the box, but you can use any rooting tool designed for MiBox.

Here's the key point.... on MiBox you have a Micro-USB to connect to the computer, but on the MiTV (1 &2) you don't have such a port, so you need to connect via network. You need to go into ADB settings on the MiTV and turn it on (I just stumbled around in the chinese menu till I found it).

After this you look on your router to check the MiTV ip address (in my case it was 192.168.1.5).

Then on my computer I did:
    adb connect 192.168.1.5

And just checked I can connect to it properly by going adb shell (then after I checked it was working I typed exit).

After this you can use any MiBox rooting tool. As I said, I used QuickRoot.... I don't have hte link handy, but here's another tool which is supposed to work: http://www.mgyun.com/en/GetVRoot

Bearing in mind that after you adb connect 192.168.1.5 the computer will 'think' it's connected via usb, which is what we want, so you can use any tool that asks you to plug in USB.

By the way, to use adb, you need to have the Android development tools installed, I will just presume you have them installed and know how to basically use ADB, if not, please google that as there's lots of instructions out there.

Also, one last note, I run a Mac but most (all?) of the jailbreaking tools are windows. So I installed VirtualBox and made a windows 7 image. This worked totally fine for me, so it's an option for us that run Apple gear.

Hope that helps you :)

SM26 and ingbrzy like this.
  8. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Very happy to make a backup for you and send it, whats the best way to do this? Just adb pull /system system ?

9. ingbrzy

Staff Member

10. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Will get onto this tonight and post a Dropbox link for you. Bear in mind I've added busybox and am in the process of trying to install Google Play Store on the TV (no success so far).

FYI Here's my major plans for the MiTV, would be great to have some help:
    - Create an English Settings app so we can change the MiTV settings without switching to the chinese launcher (ugh), seems like there are a lot of settings not in the default android settings
    - Understand how the switch to HDMI 1,2,3 & TV from another launcher (this is pretty important for me since I still have to use the default launcher for this and often switch sources). So far my idea on this is that it's just separate apps but not sure yet.
    - Remove any unnecessary chinese system apps to save memory

11. ingbrzy

Staff Member

12. Edo Yehezkel

Feb 18, 2014
    Male
    Israel
    You really guys planning to get English UI for the MITV 2? :DD
    If thats your plan I will be glad to help in translate if you need someone as few days ago I planned to buy it even that I knew its on chiense language just because the quaility ;D
    If hongkongkiwi can really get out the chiense rom and you will start translate please tell me,Will be glad to help.
    But when you mean the rom you mean only to the Smart Functions of the TV? Or the Rom is included all? The Settings of the TV,Input changing and etc?

13. i don't own a mitv, just a mibox. what i think is necessary to be able to use the mitv is a multilingual launcher that lets you choose tv sources (hdmi1-hdmi2-other physical inputs-android apps [like xbmc or netflix]). this launcher would replace the xiaomi launcher (and chinese tv apps). so you just have to write one app, probably based on the xiaomi switcher app. I think that just translating the xiaomi launcher is pointless as long as xiaomi does not accept a multilingual version (overwritten at each update). you'd have to translate the settings app too and make sure the remote works with the new apps.

14. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Totally agree with this. Translating the existing launcher is just a nightmare because each version and update from Xiaomi will need a new set of translations and new hacking. As far as I understand there are some stuff in the encrypted side which we couldn't translate anyway.

I have been a bit busy but I'll definitely pull out the System in the next few days.

As a side point, are you guys running the 4K MiTV box (or TV)? When I run XBMC the resolution can't be changed to what I would call a 4K resolution, were they just lying when they said it was 4K?

15. Plajz0r

Plajz0rMembers

Jul 9, 2011
    Male
    Sweden
    I love your work, i will buy a MiTV 2 when there is company that will ship it to sweden. :)

16. jenicekk

jenicekkMembers

Jul 15, 2011
    Youtube for TV on mitv 2 works great, but i cant sing in to google acconut, missing framework ...[​IMG]

17. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Okay ladies and gentlemen, here's a listing of my block devices on the MiTV:
    MBOOT -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    MPOOL -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    RTPM -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    boot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
    boot1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
    cache -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
    misc -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
    persist -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
    recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
    system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
    system1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
    tee -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
    tee1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
    tvconfig -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p15
    tvconfig1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p16
    tvcustomer -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    tvcustomer1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p19
    tvdatabase -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    tvinfo -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
    tvservice -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p13
    tvservice1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
    userdata -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p22

I've imaged system, let me know what other devices we might need:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v4sg4vsrfbtcsq/system.img

Please bear in mind that this has Root (SuperSU) + BusyBox + nano installed, so it's not entirely stock system images. I don't want to risk restoring my tv to stock (I heard that sometimes it can blue screen) so I'm just giving you what I have right now.

18. ingbrzy

Staff Member

Thank you for pulling system..! here is source code which has to be translated https://github.com/MIUICzech-Slovak/MiTV2-XML-CZECH

in the folder /vendor there are a lot of chinese apps, so it will take some time to translate it and tune translation...

19. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    #19hongkongkiwi,Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Does anybody know of a CWM Recovery that we can install on the MiTV to replace the default recovery.

This would be really great if we could get a version on our MiTV (or MiBox), it would make updating a lot safer and easier.

If nobody has done it already, I'm going to look at building one over the next few days using these instructions:
    http://xda-university.com/as-a-developer/porting-clockworkmod-recovery-to-a-new-device

If anybody wants to help out, here's my stock boot.img that needs modifying:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/olbcprozr9td18r/boot.img

20. jenicekk

jenicekkMembers

Jul 15, 2011
    How to get Mirecovery please?

21. MarkHUK

MarkHUKFounder & Sys Op
    Staff Member

hey all awesome effort, im joining the party :p

22. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is Mirecovery?

23. Sero_t

Sero_tMembers

Jul 6, 2014
    Male
    Hi i want to ask, do you maybe know how to get a Mitv 2 to the Netherlands and do you maybe know how long it would take maybe for you guys to solve the chinese translation part? I like the design and specs of this tv very much, but i am not so smart with coding or app building or something. So i would have to wait untill you guys made a english UI for this tv.

24. If you manage to build a new recovery, im willing to try it out on the mibox

25. hongkongkiwi

Jun 26, 2014
    Male
    Hong Kong
    You don't need English, it's quite usable without.

Try Taobao if you have a Chinese friend, or there are plenty of people willing to sell you the TV with large markups (try ebay). Best way is to come to HK or China buy it and then arrange shipping yourself but obviously that's a hassle.

I would say it's a good TV, but if your really keen on the Xiaomi stuff I'd just buy the MiBox and then buy a nice 4K non-smart TV which is available in your country. I believe shipping stuff in/out of the EU can be a hassle.

P.S. Better to start a new thread as this thread is related to Root of the TV.

Share Our Site