need help with flashing Mi9

mxxxt

Members
Apr 9, 2019
First of all hello to everybody and thanks to the xiaomi.eu team...
As I hear only good comments about xiaomi.eu roms I decided to give it a try.
I have a Mi9, stock rom 10.2.28.0 (PFAEUXM) for EEA.

I will be able to unlock the bootloader this saturday/sunday.

I'm completly new to flashing as I have never done it until now. I'm reading this forum and some other stuff for the last 14 days and I think I figured out most of the stuff to do. But still, I would appreciate some help to avoid any problems, bootloop or even brick my phone as I'm pretty sure that if something goes wrong I will not be able to fix it... I'm looking for the easiest and safest way to do it...

I will go with last available weekly rom Android9: xiaomi.eu_multi_MI9_9.8.1_v10-9 from 2nd of August 2019.

For flashing and rooting I downloaded the following:
twrp-3.3.1-37-cepheus-mauronofrio.img
Magisk-v17.1.zip
xiaomi.eu_multi_MI9_9.8.1_v10-9.zip
Do I need anything else, for example for encryption or whatever?

On the PC I have instaled miui-ADB-Driver-Installer-v1.4.3.zip which I think is enough?

And about wiping the data, is it enough If I wipe-format data after I flash TWRP and magisk in fastboot?
After wiping I can proceed with rom flashing?

Thanks, I'm a noob :)

Follow the link from gianton, change magisk in vers. 19.3., but use your twrp from mauronofrio, especially, wether you want to use rom eu 9.8.15 (Q).

Ok, thanks. I was already checking this tutorial. Will "study" it once again... :)

Yes, because your described work sequence is not correct.

My way is (with USB stick, without fastboot push command):

1. Flash newest 3.3.1- 39 mauronofrio twrp (over pc fastboot)
2. Boot in twrp, disconnect from PC, wipe, format partition
3. Connect USB OTG to Mi9 with newest Xiaomi rom (9.8.22 Android 10) and newest magisk (19.3) - flash in twrp from USB stick first rom, than magisk
4. Boot in System,
5. Connect with your Xiaomi account and restore your data (Xiaomi or Google cloud, titanium backup etc)

Last edited:
Yes, because your described work sequence is not correct.

My way is (with USB stick, without fastboot push command):

1. Flash newest 3.3.1- 39 mauronofrio twrp (over pc fastboot)
2. Boot in twrp, disconnect from PC, wipe, format partition
3. Connect USB OTG to Mi9 with newest Xiaomi rom (9.8.22 Android 10) and newest magisk (19.3) - flash in twrp from USB stick first rom, than magisk
4. Boot in System,
5. Connect with your Xiaomi account and restore your data (Xiaomi or Google cloud, titanium backup etc)
Ok, great. USB OTG is also a good option that I was thinking about.

I will go with Android 9: xiaomi.eu_multi_MI9_9.8.1_v10-9 and skip Android 10 for now.
Is TWRP 3.3.1- 39 mauronofrio OK for the above mentioned rom, I guess yes?

And just to be sure, in TWRP wipe menu I select format partition?

Thanks for your help :)

Reactions: Mali2
Ah, you want to hold Android 9. Yes brandnew mauronofrio twrp is the correct one.
(as new option versus 3.3.1-37, you don't need to flash it on phone anymore, you can flash in PC "throught" it virtually - even magisk etc, hold the original stock recovery untouched)
If you uncertain with "new" twrp, the 3.3.1.-37 will work too....

Yes select, "format", because your partition is encrypted and can't been read or written with the new rom.
Good luck!

Reactions: mxxxt
Ah, you want to hold Android 9. Yes brandnew mauronofrio twrp is the correct one.
(as new option versus 3.3.1-37, you don't need to flash it on phone anymore, you can flash in PC "throught" it virtually - even magisk etc, hold the original stock recovery untouched)
If you uncertain with "new" twrp, the 3.3.1.-37 will work too....

Yes select, "format", because your partition is encrypted and can't been read or written with the new rom.
Good luck!
Thanks once again. Hopefully I come back tomorrow with good news. Otherwise I can just throw my phone in the garbage :) :) :) but it's a risk I'm willing to take as xiaomi global roms are pretty much useless...

Reactions: Mali2
Hello again

So I flashed TWRP and ROM :)

However, I Got an error with Magisk...

And I'm missing Play Store and Google apps.
Is it because the device iz not rooted?

Any idea what to do?

EDIT: Play Store is OK and Google apps as well, need suggestions only about Magisk...

Screenshot_2019-08-23-23-56-28-167_pl.zdunex25.updater.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: Go Back to twrp a flash magisk again.

Do you have try to flash magisk from internal partition too?
And wether the report ist again "cannot mount system", -
Edit: do you have try to unmount system in twrp, and after that flash magisk from internal?

See linked post from matata86 and andere from Clipcarl in XDA

Last edited:
Reactions: Don415 and mxxxt