Netflix Tvq-pm100 5.2.5 Error On Mibox 3

Aug 6, 2017
anyone got a solution for this issue?
except the requirement of 4K TV and receiver.

btw, it will play for 2-10 seconds in HD and DTS supported, which means there should be no hardware incompatibility.

Jul 29, 2015
run drminfo on mibox with only tv connected downstream. Repeat with your AV equipment connected. Run drminfo again and compare the results.
results will show your problem area being your TV, AV equipment or both.

An advanced explanation of this Netflix error is telling you have an incomplete or failed DRM chain, which Netflix requires and must be supported by every device, from end to end.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017
I suspect this issue is different, and likely more complex.

I got my mibox3 today and found about the netflix issue. Yet, I do not believe there is any incomplete/failing DRM chain in my setup. I suspect it is some flaw in the mibox. Here's why.

I have an (old) Pioneer plasma display. Bought in 2007, it only supports 1080p, HDMI 1.1 and HDCP 1.1. Yet, I would expect mi/netflix to run compatibly up to 1080p.

My PS4 is connected to this TV through a Yamaha receiver (supporting HDMI 1.3). Blu-ray playback on the PS4, which certainly requires HDCP, runs smoothly at 1080p. The netflix app on the PS4 also plays without issues at full HD, proving that HDCP 1.1 and HDMI 1.1 are enough for FHD playback by the netflix app.

Yet when the mibox is connected in the same way, including the very HDMI cable I use for the PS4, netflix won't run and the drminfo reports that HDCP is unprotected. Well, if it is indeed unprotected, it seems to be a limitation or backward compatibility problem of the mibox, as all other parts of my setup (display, receiver, HDMI cable) are proven working.

Jul 29, 2015
I suspect this issue is different, and likely more complex.

I got my mibox3 today and found about the netflix issue. Yet, I do not believe there is any incomplete/failing DRM chain in my setup. I suspect it is some flaw in the mibox. Here's why.

I have an (old) Pioneer plasma display. Bought in 2007, it only supports 1080p, HDMI 1.1 and HDCP 1.1. Yet, I would expect mi/netflix to run compatibly up to 1080p.

My PS4 is connected to this TV through a Yamaha receiver (supporting HDMI 1.3). Blu-ray playback on the PS4, which certainly requires HDCP, runs smoothly at 1080p. The netflix app on the PS4 also plays without issues at full HD, proving that HDCP 1.1 and HDMI 1.1 are enough for FHD playback by the netflix app.

Yet when the mibox is connected in the same way, including the very HDMI cable I use for the PS4, netflix won't run and the drminfo reports that HDCP is unprotected. Well, if it is indeed unprotected, it seems to be a limitation or backward compatibility problem of the mibox, as all other parts of my setup (display, receiver, HDMI cable) are proven working.
Factory reset the Mibox , bypass the receiver and run drminfo again. This will cause drminfo to poll the HDMI port anew.

Good luck

Sep 14, 2017
Tried that now. Even after factory reset, and connected directly to the TV, drminfo says HDCP is unprotected, and netflix won't play. I'm fairly sure the mibox is to blame.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017
Is your tv HDCP 1.x capable? I've tested on an old Sony Bravia (6 or 7 years old) and it worked 1080p flawless. But when I tried it on and old Samsung pc screen, i have to lower the MiBox resolution to force Netflix on non HD resolution because of the unsupported HDCP from the monitor side.

Sep 14, 2017
Yes, as I wrote above, "Pioneer plasma display. Bought in 2007, it only supports 1080p, HDMI 1.1 and HDCP 1.1." - I AM able to run netflix on the PS4 at 1080P. But not on the mibox3.

Aug 28, 2017
Have you tried something like a hdmi splitter that removes HDCP? I cannot post links on the forum, but try google for "remove hdcp from hdmi signal. It's a tweaking4all(dot)com post.
Which version of MiBox do you own?

Aug 5, 2017
No, I haven't. Just got the box yesterday and never had any issues with HDCP until now.

It's a mibox3.
Get use to this, it's a very common problem, even though it doesn't occur in all cases... seems that it's a problem of specific batches or units. I haven't tried those splitters but in my case four different TVs, and even a new projector with new hdmi cable havent worked so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2017
Having the same issue in the last few days. The MiBox worked fine for few months and this is new. I got 2 more MiBox and they don’t have the problem. Been on and off with Netflix support but I’m getting the felling that I’m getting answers from a semi smart boot and not by human..... found a trend in Nvidia Shield and they suggest that it’s got something to do with the sound output setting (seems logic as the only different I could found was that I can’t see 5.1 Audio option). Working with Pioneer Reciver. will try to play with the settings this evening and hopefully to solve the issue.

Nov 20, 2017
Well I connected the Xiaomi TV BOX directly to the TV instead of my Pioneer receiver and everything works fine (minus the fact that I’m getting the sound from my TV). so it’s got to be related to sound. cant point who’s the responsible side for this issue (Netflix/Xiaomi) the only strange thing is that it used to work so I guess it’s not a problem with my receiver.

Jul 29, 2015
Well I connected the Xiaomi TV BOX directly to the TV instead of my Pioneer receiver and everything works fine (minus the fact that I’m getting the sound from my TV). so it’s got to be related to sound. cant point who’s the responsible side for this issue (Netflix/Xiaomi) the only strange thing is that it used to work so I guess it’s not a problem with my receiver.
Has your tv or receiver had any recent factory firmware updates? Have you run drminfo on the MiBox with the receiver/without the receiver? Notice any different results under HDCP? Have you tried different hdmi cables and hdmi ports?
Should be working same as before. Your challenge is to pinpoint which element has changed.

Its safe to say the Mibox is not your issue, nor is Netflix.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017
I find it strange, Indeed when the Xiaomi box connected directly to my Toshiba TV the Netflix app works fine, However no firmware update was done to my Pioneer receiver for ages, and all other HDMI components (TV BOX, DVD ....) works just fine. tried to switch HDMI ports but didn’t help.
So at the end of the day it seems all products working fine so I guess back to Netflix for permanent solution.......

Jul 29, 2015
I find it strange, Indeed when the Xiaomi box connected directly to my Toshiba TV the Netflix app works fine, However no firmware update was done to my Pioneer receiver for ages, and all other HDMI components (TV BOX, DVD ....) works just fine. tried to switch HDMI ports but didn’t help.
So at the end of the day it seems all products working fine so I guess back to Netflix for permanent solution.......
I would not discount the chance that your receiver reliability has degraded.

Nov 27, 2017
Well, my case is similar. I used to watch (although very sporadically) Netflix on my Mi Box (MDZ-16-AB) with no problem at all.
But then, for the last 2-3 months it's been impossible to watch because of "Netflix Error tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5)". Same box, same TV, same HDMI cable.
Reading this thread I just realized the only change was a introduction of a soundbar to my setup, which is currently connected to the SPDIF port.

Nov 28, 2017
Hi,

I live in France (escuse me for my english :) )
I don't think it's devices (TV, receiver, etc) HDCP support, or not directly.
I received my Mi box 3 weeks ago. Everythings was ok, no error on Netflix. I use netflix everydays.
Yesterday, without any modification of my configuration devices (same TV, same version of Mi Box, same HDMI cable, same version on TV, receiver Yamaha not connected), everything exactly the same ! boom error netflix after few second of play : tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5).I tried all manip (resolution, auto or no, HDR, reset box, HDMI cable, direct on TV, etc).
All my devices supporte HDCP (I checked).
I contacted Netflix, the only solution proposed, mobile application or can be run on android 7...

Nov 28, 2017
No. It is NOT problem with TV or receiver.
I plugged another box TV android (Bbox miami to Bouyguestelecom, french internet provider) and DRM info, with same HDMI cable, same port on TV, same TV, say HDCP Ok 1.x and max 2.x. I plugged Mi Box, and DRM info say unprotected !
The problem is the Xiaomi Box !

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017
Hi,

I live in France (escuse me for my english :) )
I don't think it's devices (TV, receiver, etc) HDCP support, or not directly.
I received my Mi box 3 weeks ago. Everythings was ok, no error on Netflix. I use netflix everydays.
Yesterday, without any modification of my configuration devices (same TV, same version of Mi Box, same HDMI cable, same version on TV, receiver Yamaha not connected), everything exactly the same ! boom error netflix after few second of play : tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5).I tried all manip (resolution, auto or no, HDR, reset box, HDMI cable, direct on TV, etc).
All my devices supporte HDCP (I checked).
I contacted Netflix, the only solution proposed, mobile application or can be run on android 7...
The first month works correctly to me. The last week an error of netflix. After this I uninstall and install again the app via Google Play, and now works correctly.

Nov 17, 2017
Got my first Netflix subscription minutes ago and I'm having the exact same problem with my Mi Box 3. Two minutes Google search and I've already found this forum.

Good lord, I was already hating this device as it's ridden with issues, but this is getting ridiculous. Xioami advertises this box as a Netflix solution and it seems it can't even work out of the box when connected to a receiver?

Coincidentally I also have a Pioneer receiver, model VSX924. Tomorrow I'll try to bypass it and connect Mi Box directly to TV, see if it fixes anything.

Nov 17, 2017
Connecting Xiaomi Mi Box 3 directly to TV changes nothing. DRMinfo shows that HDCP remains to unprotected. I didn't factory reset and I don't want to, because that'd cause me to lose hours of setting up Kodi properly. On the other hand I've tried pretty much most of the workarounds that are out there.

Tried Netflix via Xbox One, using the exact same chain (HDMI cables, Pioneer receiver, LG TV) and what do you know? Netflix works perfectly fine.

I've heard the issue might be with Android TV's Netflix app and if you sideload the tablet version of the app it may work fine. I'll try that tomorrow.

In any case for this and a million other reasons which I won't post here, Xiaomi Mi Box 3 has proved to be the biggest disappointed and one of the worst purchases I've ever made. $70 down the drain...

Last edited:

miboy

Members
Jul 29, 2015
Connecting Xiaomi Mi Box 3 directly to TV changes nothing. DRMinfo shows that HDCP remains to unprotected. I didn't factory reset and I don't want to, because that'd cause me to lose hours of setting up Kodi properly. On the other hand I've tried pretty much most of the workarounds that are out there.

Tried Netflix via Xbox One, using the exact same chain (HDMI cables, Pioneer receiver, LG TV) and what do you know? Netflix works perfectly fine.

I've heard the issue might be with Android TV's Netflix app and if you sideload the tablet version of the app it may work fine. I'll try that tomorrow.

In any case for this and a million other reasons which I won't post here, Xiaomi Mi Box 3 has proved to be the biggest disappointed and one of the worst purchases I've ever made. $70 down the drain...
You need to power off mibox to reset its HDMI port. Then connect direct to your TV. try different HDMI ports if available. Based on your (positive) results, it should be easy for you to know exactly which part is not passing proper DRM. BTW, Pioneer A/V equipment often fail the challenge of consistent DRM.

Nov 27, 2017
Well, I've just made a test with a new TV I bought to my mother.
Same box, same HDMI cable and it works without a problem.
App DRM Info says "HDCP Protected", whilst my old TV shows "Unprotected".

So, what I think.. is that an Netflix app update has rised HDCP level requirements, which ended lefting my old TV out of the party.
That's the only explanation I can think of why it worked in the past and now it doesn't.

Last edited: