Netflix Tvq-pm100 5.2.5 Error On Mibox 3

Jul 29, 2015
Well, you can count another one on that 0.005 percentage. My Mi Box box has the "tvq-pm-100 (5.2.5)" Netflix error and DRM Info shows "Unprotected", but the Mi Box from a friend works, using the same HDMI cable and TV.

Time to look for an exchange.
Sorry to hear you 'won the lottery'.

Your astute application of logical process of elimination pinpoints the fault exactly.

This is a textbook example of troubleshooting 101. Kudos to you for exercising all the options.

Most complainers do not accumulate enough valid data points to make a foolproof determination.
Without another mibox, or another known-to-work tv, the only logical deduction is 'it's not working, and no clear indication of a specific 'it' that is causing the problem.
There is no smoking gun to be found without changing at least one element of the system.

As an aside, 2 hypothetical questions....
What if your friend's MiBox, that worked without complication on your friend's tv, still gave you an error with Netflix when tried with your TV?

and..

What if you took your suspect MiBox and connected to your friend's tv and it worked without a glitch?

Would you accept there was a problem involving your TV?

I have personally played this testing scenario with hundreds of sundry tvs.
My results have only shown 2 MiBoxes as having suspect HDMI hardware when connected to compliant TVs. Further, only a single MiBox was DOA.

What's even more tantalizing is Walmart donated 3 identical 4K tvs to a local senior citizen community where I volunteer.
Of these 3, it is a crapshoot when they will work properly or not with Netflix, even with the same MiBox on every occasion.

HINT: Don't ever buy a Heier brand TV!!!!!

Walmart told us they were glad we took them off their hands and, no, they had no interest in our returning them as they had written them off as a charitable deduction.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018
What if your friend's MiBox, that worked without complication on your friend's tv, still gave you an error with Netflix when tried with your TV?

and..

What if you took your suspect MiBox and connected to your friend's tv and it worked without a glitch?

On that cases, the problem wouldn't be on the Mi Box, but on the TV or HDMI cable. But it's not my case. On the same TV and HDMI cable, his box works and mine doesn't. We even tried on a third TV (Panasonic) that i's not mine or his, but got the same result.

There has to be a small percentage of boxes that have this hardware problem. I've read somewhere that even when HDCP 1.x is failing, the same box works with HDCP 2.2, but I have no 4K TV to test... All of my TV's are 1080p.

Jul 29, 2015
On that cases, the problem wouldn't be on the Mi Box, but on the TV or HDMI cable. But it's not my case. On the same TV and HDMI cable, his box works and mine doesn't. We even tried on a third TV (Panasonic) that i's not mine or his, but got the same result.

There has to be a small percentage of boxes that have this hardware problem. I've read somewhere that even when HDCP 1.x is failing, the same box works with HDCP 2.2, but I have no 4K TV to test... All of my TV's are 1080p.
Too bad the law of averages worked against you.......
In my experience, the number of boxes experiencing this problem is infinitesmal

Feb 25, 2018
Hi miboy,

I need some help... I've been reading the post and trying everything you say to fix the issue.

TV Samsung 6530 c-series (2011), I don't know HDMI version and HDCP support, but with DRM info the result is unprotected.

Next step, I've bought a splitter hdmi v.1.4 and HDCP 2.2. This one:

www dot amazon dot es /Splitter-Amplificador-Distribuidor-Entrada-Proyector/dp/B01N78JA9V

And this HDMI cables:

www dot amazon dot es /IBRA-LUXURY-velocidad-compatible-Ethernet/dp/B00K6KPBWG

The result after factory reset (3 times) mi box and connecting the splitter with new cables and testing in 4 HDMI TV ports, it's the same, unprotected.

I've spent almost the same money in the splitter and cables than in the mi box, and now I'm really unhappy. Any idea?

Jul 29, 2015
Hi miboy,

I need some help... I've been reading the post and trying everything you say to fix the issue.

TV Samsung 6530 c-series (2011), I don't know HDMI version and HDCP support, but with DRM info the result is unprotected.

www dot amazon dot es /Splitter-Amplificador-Distribuidor-Entrada-Proyector/dp/B01N78JA9V

And this HDMI cables:

The result after factory reset (3 times) mi box and connecting the splitter with new cables and testing in 4 HDMI TV ports, it's the same, unprotected.

I've spent almost the same money in the splitter and cables than in the mi box, and now I'm really unhappy. Any idea?
In my experience, hdmi splitter makers are even more incompetent than tv makers.

(I have purchased 3 identical, highly recommended hdmi switches. 2 worked, 1 failed. Same TV, same MiBox. Make sense from that puzzle)

Have you tried the MiBox with a more modern, capable TV? If it works there, you can be sure the MiBox is not the issue.

I would search this forum for users who have good results with a specific splitter. I have no clue as to which splitters work.
It seems the less ambitious splitters are preferred.
Regardless of expense, still cheaper than a new tv!!!

Buena suerte

Mar 10, 2018
Same issue as everyone else here. I've taken back 4 different TV sets due to this issue. A brand new Samsung, a Soniq, a JVC and a Kogan. Tried at least 6 different HDMI cables and always had the same issue.

Even more frustrating was that the Mi Box would very occasionally register HDCP 2.2 on the cheap Kogan TV but every time it was switched off I would have to unplug the Mi Box and TV from the power to get it to register HDCP 2.2. I had my mate bring over his Shield TV to test with the Kogan and JVC TV's - lo and behold it registered HDCP 2.2 every time, no matter what cable I used.

Going to end up throwing out the Mi Box and investing a little extra to get a Shield myself. Here I was thinking it was the fault of the TVs I was buying or the cables I was using, but no, definitely the fault of the Mi Box.

Edit: Oh and yes, I have factory reset the Mi Box after getting each TV - issue always persists.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2015
Same issue as everyone else here. I've taken back 4 different TV sets due to this issue. A brand new Samsung, a Soniq, a JVC and a Kogan. Tried at least 6 different HDMI cables and always had the same issue.

Even more frustrating was that the Mi Box would very occasionally register HDCP 2.2 on the cheap Kogan TV but every time it was switched off I would have to unplug the Mi Box and TV from the power to get it to register HDCP 2.2. I had my mate bring over his Shield TV to test with the Kogan and JVC TV's - lo and behold it registered HDCP 2.2 every time, no matter what cable I used.

Going to end up throwing out the Mi Box and investing a little extra to get a Shield myself. Here I was thinking it was the fault of the TVs I was buying or the cables I was using, but no, definitely the fault of the Mi Box.

Edit: Oh and yes, I have factory reset the Mi Box after getting each TV - issue always persists.
Sounds like you had a dud MiBox. It happens on rare occasions. I have had exactly 1 in over 300+ deployments.

Mar 13, 2018
Just bought a fresh new MIBOX3 from ******* (International version).
I can confirm that "at least" some units are DEFECTIVE.
I got of course the unfamous NetFlix showstopper alert "Tvq-pm100 5.2.5"

Following forum advices, i have
1- Changed the cable
2- Changed the TVset
3- Resetted the device

No joy. DrmInfo says "Unprotected"

I have another tv box that DO WORK with same tv/cable, and installing Drminfo says "DHCP2.2 etc.etc."

CONCLUSION:

A not-so-small percentage of MIBOX3 devices have a FAULTY hdmi electronics that prevent proper handling of DRM chain.
This usually affects programs that DO actively check for DRM informations in order to block piracy, this include netflix and plex.

Please, do not blame cable or tv, do not offer silly solutions as "splitting cable" and so on. Nothin of this is going to work, because the problem is inside the MIBOX3 CHIPSET. I have started with ******* an RMA to return the faulty device. Meanwhile i how that Xiaomi is aware of this and provide it's own solution, via a firmware upgrade or a device recall if they can identify the bad batch giving the serial number.

I have contacted NetFlix and they cannot do anything for this, because they relies on DRM check to be satisfied, and the MIBOX3 do not obey that (at leas not the faulty devices).

I cannot estimate if faulty MIBOX3 are 1%, 10% or 50% of sold units, but A FACT is that there are many defective units floating around, and this *MUST* be addressed by a serious company like Xiaomi.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018
I cannot estimate if faulty MIBOX3 are 1%, 10% or 50% of sold units, but A FACT is that there are many defective units floating around, and this *MUST* be addressed by a serious company like Xiaomi.
I completely agree. Only my third replacement worked OK.
I don't know the percentage of defective units, buy it must be fairly high in order to receive two units with non functional HDCP.
Maybe faulty units are restricted to some zones, or specific batches. This would explain why miboy has found only one defective unit over 300, and I have found 2 of 3. That's what I call bad luck for me.

Jul 29, 2015
I completely agree. Only my third replacement worked OK.
I don't know the percentage of defective units, buy it must be fairly high in order to receive two units with non functional HDCP.
Maybe faulty units are restricted to some zones, or specific batches. This would explain why miboy has found only one defective unit over 300, and I have found 2 of 3. That's what I call bad luck for me.
Indeed bad luck for you.....

All of the units at the senior housing complex where I volunteer have been sourced from local Walmarts in USA. These purchases have spanned nearly a year. Included in those numbers are some units from Walmart's returned item bin. As the housing complex operates as a recognized charity, the local Walmart gets a tax credit for donating these units.

Testing these units with DRMINFO and known HDCP compatible TV sets shows successful Netflix interaction in every case. The testing process starts out with a complete reflash to current firmware followed by a full system reset and a re-install of current Netflix Ninja from the Playstore.

Walmart has a very stringent policy for their electronics vendors. Return rates over 1.7% are justification for immediate cancellation of purchase contracts.

Jul 29, 2015
Just bought a fresh new MIBOX3 from ******* (International version).
I can confirm that "at least" some units are DEFECTIVE.
I got of course the unfamous NetFlix showstopper alert "Tvq-pm100 5.2.5"

Following forum advices, i have
1- Changed the cable
2- Changed the TVset
3- Resetted the device

No joy. DrmInfo says "Unprotected"

I have another tv box thad DO WORK with same tv/cable, and installing Drminfo says "DHCP2.2 etc.etc."

CONCLUSION:

A not-so-small percentage of MIBOX3 devices have a FAULTY hdmi electronics that prevent proper handling of DRM chain.
This usually affects programs that DO actively check for DRM informations in order to block piracy, this include netflix and plex.

Please, do not blame cable or tv, do not offer silly solutions as "splitting cable" and so on. Nothin of this is going to work, because the problem is inside the MIBOX3 CHIPSET. I have started with ******* an RMA to return the faulty device. Meanwhile i how that Xiaomi is aware of this and provide it's own solution, via a firmware upgrade or a device recall if they can identify the bad batch giving the serial number.

I have contacted NetFlix and they cannot do anything for this, because they relies on DRM check to be satisfied, and the MIBOX3 do not obey that (at leas not the faulty devices).

Please provide further details about your setup. What is the resolution of your tvs, make and models of TVs and other TV boxes are you using.

The only FACT to be derived from your isolated scenario is that 'something' is not working. You do not have sufficient data points to arrive at such an over-reaching conclusion, or to logically know which element is faulty.

That other tv boxes work is just reinforcement for THE FACT that Netflix insists that official AndroidTV devices comply with a much higher standard of DRM. Not so much with other devices, many of which are not required BY NETFLIX to employ DRM of any sort.

Case in point.....I have a 2011 vintage LCD TV with stated resolution of 720. It works perfectly with my game console and an original FireTV stick as well as a new Roku box when playing from Netflix. Please explain these results when you consider the 2011 LCD TV has no DRM functionality AT ALL....

I'll leave you to ponder the last case and apply those logical conclusions to your situation

Mar 13, 2018
Tried that now. Even after factory reset, and connected directly to the TV, drminfo says HDCP is unprotected, and netflix won't play. I'm fairly sure the mibox is to blame.
Yous mibox *IS* to blame.
I have a faulty MiBox3 too (Internation version), and replacing with another TVBox, on the same TV Set and Cable, Netflix works as expected.
PLEX too is another software that have problems on defective MiBox units, because it probes DRM chain too like netflix does.

Mar 13, 2018
Please provide further details about your setup. What is the resolution of your tvs, make and models of TVs and other TV boxes are you using.

The only FACT to be derived from your isolated scenario is that 'something' is not working. You do not have sufficient data points to arrive at such an over-reaching conclusion, or to logically know which element is faulty.

That other tv boxes work is just reinforcement for THE FACT that Netflix insists that official AndroidTV devices comply with a much higher standard of DRM. Not so much with other devices, many of which are not required BY NETFLIX to employ DRM of any sort.

Case in point.....I have a 2011 vintage LCD TV with stated resolution of 720. It works perfectly with my game console and an original FireTV stick as well as a new Roku box when playing from Netflix. Please explain these results when you consider the 2011 LCD TV has no DRM functionality AT ALL....

I'll leave you to ponder the last case and apply those logical conclusions to your situation
I have 3 TV set, two HDReady only, and one FullHD (no 4k). Brands are philips, sony, telefunken.
The TV set where i would like to use the mibox device is the phillips of my father, unfortunately HDReady only, thus i can use it on 720P.
It is brand new, should support HDMI1.4 at least (on the rear one port is labeled HDMI2.2), of course no 4K at all.

On all of them "DRM Info" says "HDMI unprotected", so i am unable to use netflix at any resolution.
FireStick key works just fine in all my TV Sets.

Mar 15, 2018
Let me tell you my story.
I bought a unit. Plugged in. Error 5.2.5. Checked forums, found about drminfo. Installed it. HDCP unprotected.
Considering what is written on this topic, I verified if the TV is HDCP compliant. User manual says yes. I contacted the producer of the tv (LG 42LM669s) said that the TV is HDCP compliant on all HDMI ports.
Changed the HDMI cable - of course, no success.
Tested the tv box on other 4 TV's - in all cases HDCP was unprotected.

Next step was to return the box, which I did, followed by the acquisition of another one (from another vendor - local).
Received the package, installed it and bingo - Everything works perfectly.

So, I strongly believe that the statistics start to show that actually the boxes that do not work have a problem. And there are more and more of them, as more and more users draw the same conclusion as me.

Ps. Both of the boxes are international version. (the first one though had less applications in the recommended row)

Jul 29, 2015
Let me tell you my story.
I bought a unit. Plugged in. Error 5.2.5. Checked forums, found about drminfo. Installed it. HDCP unprotected.
Considering what is written on this topic, I verified if the TV is HDCP compliant. User manual says yes. I contacted the producer of the tv (LG 42LM669s) said that the TV is HDCP compliant on all HDMI ports.
Changed the HDMI cable - of course, no success.
Tested the tv box on other 4 TV's - in all cases HDCP was unprotected.

Next step was to return the box, which I did, followed by the acquisition of another one (from another vendor - local).
Received the package, installed it and bingo - Everything works perfectly.

So, I strongly believe that the statistics start to show that actually the boxes that do not work have a problem. And there are more and more of them, as more and more users draw the same conclusion as me.

Ps. Both of the boxes are international version. (the first one though had less applications in the recommended row)
Glad you got it sorted. You may have avoided the hassle by trying the following steps...

The ideal troubleshooting step is as follows for these cases:
1-factory reset your MiBox
2-flash current stock firmware
3-factory reset again
4-remove and re-install Netflix app

Walmart has donated to our non-profit senior housing complex over 20 units from the returned items bin at 3 local stores. After getting 'the treatment' as outlined above, each and every unit performs correctly when connected to a properly equipped DHCP compliant 4K TV.

There is no indication why they were returned or exchanged.....bad batteries in remote, hdmi cable too short or maybe they didn't match the living room color scheme.
Walmart has a very liberal return policy but for statistical purposes we test them for Netflix 'allergy' just for kicks.
The residents of this complex are predominantly Korean with no need for Netflix. We conduct this analysis out of personal curiosity and share our findings with this community.

IN SUMMARY.....
300+ Mibox units deployed.....
2 confirmed DOA.........
1 unit fails to work properly with a known working HDCP compliant tv.....
202 distinct TV models ranging from deluxe 35" Sony wood cabinet model from 2002 to the latest, greatest 4K units....
104 tvs with non-existent or flaky DRM implementation that wont work with Netflix
including 3 identical 4K tvs that fluctuate from working perfectly to not working, depending on day of week, moon phase or whether they were switched on with left hand or right hand.....totally unpredictable

Which category do you belong to?

Mar 15, 2018
Glad you got it sorted. You may have avoided the hassle by trying the following steps...

The ideal troubleshooting step is as follows for these cases:
1-factory reset your MiBox
2-flash current stock firmware
3-factory reset again
4-remove and re-install Netflix app

Walmart has donated to our non-profit senior housing complex over 20 units from the returned items bin at 3 local stores. After getting 'the treatment' as outlined above, each and every unit performs correctly when connected to a properly equipped DHCP compliant 4K TV.

There is no indication why they were returned or exchanged.....bad batteries in remote, hdmi cable too short or maybe they didn't match the living room color scheme.
Walmart has a very liberal return policy but for statistical purposes we test them for Netflix 'allergy' just for kicks.
The residents of this complex are predominantly Korean with no need for Netflix. We conduct this analysis out of personal curiosity and share our findings with this community.

IN SUMMARY.....
300+ Mibox units deployed.....
2 confirmed DOA.........
1 unit fails to work properly with a known working HDCP compliant tv.....
202 distinct TV models ranging from deluxe 35" Sony wood cabinet model from 2002 to the latest, greatest 4K units....
104 tvs with non-existent or flaky DRM implementation that wont work with Netflix
including 3 identical 4K tvs that fluctuate from working perfectly to not working, depending on day of week, moon phase or whether they were switched on with left hand or right hand.....totally unpredictable

Which category do you belong to?
Tried factory reset. And settings and so on. No good results. Same box, 5 tv sets, didn't work. New one works perfectly.

Trimis de pe al meu HUAWEI VNS-L21 folosind Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2018
No. It is NOT problem with TV or receiver.
I plugged another box TV android (Bbox miami to Bouyguestelecom, french internet provider) and DRM info, with same HDMI cable, same port on TV, same TV, say HDCP Ok 1.x and max 2.x. I plugged Mi Box, and DRM info say unprotected !
The problem is the Xiaomi Box !
Of course it is !! No solution so far, except switching to another box

Mar 13, 2018
Sorry to hear you 'won the lottery'.

Your astute application of logical process of elimination pinpoints the fault exactly.

This is a textbook example of troubleshooting 101. Kudos to you for exercising all the options.

Most complainers do not accumulate enough valid data points to make a foolproof determination.
Without another mibox, or another known-to-work tv, the only logical deduction is 'it's not working, and no clear indication of a specific 'it' that is causing the problem.
There is no smoking gun to be found without changing at least one element of the system.

and..

I have personally played this testing scenario with hundreds of sundry tvs.
My results have only shown 2 MiBoxes as having suspect HDMI hardware when connected to compliant TVs. Further, only a single MiBox was DOA.

What's even more tantalizing is Walmart donated 3 identical 4K tvs to a local senior citizen community where I volunteer.
Of these 3, it is a crapshoot when they will work properly or not with Netflix, even with the same MiBox on every occasion.

HINT: Don't ever buy a Heier brand TV!!!!!

Walmart told us they were glad we took them off their hands and, no, they had no interest in our returning them as they had written them off as a charitable deduction.
Are you deaf or what ?
He says using with two identical box that one works and the other do not, so giving they both had received a factory reset, indicates that one is broken and the other it is not. Your solitary crusade cannot change the evidence of proven facts.

Jul 29, 2015
Are you deaf or what ?
He says using with two identical box that one works and the other do not, so giving they both had received a factory reset, indicates that one is broken and the other it is not. Your solitary crusade cannot change the evidence of proven facts.
Did you read the part where I congratulated him for a complete troubleshooting process where it was obvious he had a flaky mibox.

He, unlike you, is able to make an objective analysis of his specific results.

The last part of the conversation was hypothetical and was directed not at him alone but at other readers who may refer to the conversation.

It is you who must improve your reading comprehension skills. His situation has a clear outcome. By process of elimination he came to a logical conclusion using a process of elimination. You lack sufficient results to draw any sort of definitive conclusion.

Jul 29, 2015
So you got rid of your junk TVs? What a waste!!!
You could have salvaged them by proper application of a $12 splitter...

Here's a simple ELI5 for you, a means to establish presence of DRM on all your TVs.
BTW, checking the specs of the models you listed earlier, I could find NO confirmation of DRM capability for any of them in official factory literature. That is why I am confident you will lose my proposed $US 50 wager. Further established that the MiBox is performing in accordance with NETFLIX's parameters that insist on proper DRM for the entire chain.

If Netflix run from a MiBox does not verify proper DRM presence on your complete system, it will not stream. You get an error message based on all or nothing concept. This is a decision Netflix makes.

If Netflix run from an Amazon device does not verify proper DRM presence on your complete system, it will NOT stop streaming. However, it will only stream at 480 resolution, not HD.
In effect, Netflix offers a consolation prize of sorts to owners of sub par TVs.

Netflix produces a series of diagnostic videos titled TEST PATTERNS.

If you run TEST PATTERN videos from your Amazon device to your TVs, the results will be displayed in yellow text specifically showing resolution attained with your specific TV

If your tv does not show results higher than 480 resolution, that provides prima facie evidence that Netflix deems your device to be lacking in proper DRM,

If you are somehow able to coax any of your decrepit tvs to produce a result higher than 480, thus proving they have some level of DRM support, according to Netflix, I am sure you will be back here to demonstrate such proof.

Absent that, you will not have the courtesy of any further comments.
I must admit to a snide satisfaction about being able to utterly shred any of your ludicrous postulations and flawed logic.

Thanks for playing

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018
miboy, you are overconfident in what you claim. There are numerous reports that by changing the tv box (a faulty one with a new one) things get solved.
You always try to remember everyone that you managed to test 300 or smth boxes and only was was faulty. Which might be reasonable. But have you ever considered that your logic is faulty?

Have you ever considered that the results of your experience with the device are biased?

Have you considered that probably all of the boxes you tested come from the same batch? And maybe other batches will give different results?

I know I have only my experience, one box - DHCP unprotected, the other box DHCP protected. End of story.
Testing for DRM with a faulty tv box is simply stupid.
No matter what tv you will use, it will be unprotected (checked with the faulty one on 5 TV, for 2 of them with confirmed HDCP compliant - manual and customer service and all of them were unprotected)

Mar 13, 2018
miboy is completely biased, almost any sentence he wrote are affected by some sort of "hate speech" against anyone having logical conclusions that he cant accept for some arcane reason. Overconfident is euphemism.

My experience is crispy clear, and factual proven. I have unfortunately a faulty device. I want to help community indicating that mostly of DRM problems (expecially 5.2.5 netflix error) *MAY* be likely caused by a fautly hardware. And broken hardware exist, because i just GOT ONE.

Of course, when the long chain do not work, you can blame not one link only, but at least one faulting link exist! To prove that you have to blame faulty box hardware and not a bad TVSet, you need at least ANOTHER TVBOX where to run DRMInfo tool. If the other TVBox gives exactly the same faulty result in DRMInfo, then most probably the faulty link is your TV (or cable). Having two identical box with different result is also much more strong for proving one of the two is broken. I'm waiting the second device, i'm pretty sure it will work as expected (on the same TV of course), then i'll have two box, one netflix capable and the other not, but i will hope in meantime for a firmware fix or i can simply resell in e-bay the spare faulty one, so miboy will have soon another guy to fight against here ;o))

Mar 13, 2018
miboy, you are overconfident in what you claim. There are numerous reports that by changing the tv box (a faulty one with a new one) things get solved.
You always try to remember everyone that you managed to test 300 or smth boxes and only was was faulty. Which might be reasonable. But have you ever considered that your logic is faulty?

Have you ever considered that the results of your experience with the device are biased?

Have you considered that probably all of the boxes you tested come from the same batch? And maybe other batches will give different results?

I know I have only my experience, one box - DHCP unprotected, the other box DHCP protected. End of story.
Testing for DRM with a faulty tv box is simply stupid.
No matter what tv you will use, it will be unprotected (checked with the faulty one on 5 TV, for 2 of them with confirmed HDCP compliant - manual and customer service and all of them were unprotected)
I can only quote word-by-work what you wrote. This is exactly the end of the story. And the logic is bulletproof.

Jul 29, 2015
Tried factory reset. And settings and so on. No good results. Same box, 5 tv sets, didn't work. New one works perfectly.

Trimis de pe al meu HUAWEI VNS-L21 folosind Tapatalk
You missed one important step.......re-flas
Hi miboy,

And this HDMI cables:

Try re-flashing firmware via recovery. Try another splitter, they are notoriously more inconsistent than tvs.