Play Stream via Laptop using Mibox

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by Jumianto, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Jumianto

JumiantoMembers

Jul 14, 2014
    Male
    IT
    Singapore
    Dear All,

Please assist on how to play videos / live streaming from laptop using snappea
    i dont want to root my MiBox. I have follow the guides to install SnapPea on my laptop (Windows).

When MiBox is connected to USB to laptop, it can detect my MiBox, but there is no installation of SnapPea in my MiBox. Even though I managed to installed it by downloading the APK and install it, I still couldnt see the apps in my apps list.

When installation done, I rebooted the MiBox, and it is automatically connected when I run SnapPea, however, there is no launcher at all for me to select channel or streaming apps that I have installed.

any helps is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Jumi

2. Ekow

EkowMembers

Jul 13, 2014
    #2Ekow,Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Installed apps show up in the 小米盒子app.

3. Jumianto

JumiantoMembers

Jul 14, 2014
    Male
    IT
    Singapore
    hi Ekow, thank you for the reply.

Yes apps list is not an issue..the issue is after I plug 小米盒子 via USB to laptop, I couldn't play the videos...hmmmm

4. Ekow

EkowMembers

Jul 13, 2014
    So, the videos are you the laptop and you want to play them using xiaomi box. To do that, you don't need the USB connection to the laptop. Just the normal network. What apps did you install to play video?

5. Jumianto

JumiantoMembers

Jul 14, 2014
    Male
    IT
    Singapore
    I would like to watch Live Channel such as CCTV 5. the apps is the rabbit TV and Mibox default.

So how to watch the live stream using MiBox without connecting it thru USB cable?
    hmmmmm...

6. Ekow

EkowMembers

Jul 13, 2014
    You need to connect the MiBox to the internet, usually through your LAN, you just need to run a LAN cable from your router to the MiBox or configure the wifi on the MiBox.

7. Jumianto

JumiantoMembers

Jul 14, 2014
    Male
    IT
    Singapore
    to configure wifi on the mibox, need to do it from TV set right?

afterwards, what is the next step to play it via laptop?
    laptop and mibox must be connected to same internet (just to verify)?

thanks,
    Jumi

8. Ekow

EkowMembers

Jul 13, 2014
    #8Ekow,Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Hi Jumi, yes laptop and mibox must be connected to the same network. Do you read Chinese? If no, I can post screenshots to help you configure wifi on the mibox.

Apart from CCTV, I don't understand 'play it via laptop', what do you mean 'it'. Do you have avi/mp4 files on the laptop, that you want to play on the TV?

What are you using on the laptop, is it Windows 8.1 or Linux or Apple?

Also, I want to ask, do you already know how to install new apps onto mibox?

9. Jumianto

JumiantoMembers

Jul 14, 2014
    Male
    IT
    Singapore
    Hi Ekow,

Thanks for the great reply. I do read chinese a lil bit. Still prefer English for fully understanding.

Okay what I mean is that, assuming I dont have TV, could i be able to watch live channel such as CCTV 5 from my laptop via MiBox?
    Yeap i do have mp4 files on laptop, however my intention is to watch live channel from MiBox and watch it from Laptop instead of TV.

it is windows 8.1

I know how to install apps onto mibox. I am using snappea to install apps to mibox.

Thank you,
    Jumi

10. Ekow

EkowMembers

Jul 13, 2014
    #10Ekow,Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    OK, now I understand what you are trying to do. Basically, use mibox without TV. For CCTV 5 on laptop you could use the cntv website directly. For other applications, maybe one these will work for you.

(1) To run Xiaomi box with no TV try, MyMobiler , of course without a TV you need to start it automatically on the mibox with something like StartupManager . You may need to fix the IP on the mibox so it never changes or install ssh server and client to retrieve it each time.

(2) If your laptop is capable, run android machine inside Windows, like this. Also read this.

(3) Install DLNA server on Xiaomi and use DLNA on Windows to watch streams. (Though if can do this, you can also watch it direct on laptop without Xiaomi)

Not sure how useful this is, HTH.

11. Jumianto

JumiantoMembers

Jul 14, 2014
    Male
    IT
    Singapore
    Hi Ekow,

Thank you for the effort to assist.

I will try the first method. This means I need snappea to install mymobiler and startupManager first. After I can access Mibox (assuming like I am viewing it in TV) then I need to run Startupmanager? subsequently, I will need to set the IP for Mibox, right?

CMIIW.

Thanks,
    Jumi

Share Our Site