Please help me decide between Mi2A and Mi2S

Tenant

Members
Oct 16, 2013
Hello to everyone,

I' m thinking of buying Mi2a, but I'm a bit skeptical about the 1GB RAM, as miui v5 takes about 750MB.
Are the free 250MB enough for surfing, gaming etc?

What if, in a future release (say, miui v6) there'll be more need for RAM? Will mi2a be unable to load the new miui?

(more questions are posted here - please check)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, no problem with Ram.

Android (and Linux) freeing ram when it necessary.

It is not a PC with Windows.

And for next MIUI version, Xiaomi make a optimised rom for Mi2A, exactly like the V5.

Thanks, Derek, for your reply.

Saying "an optimized ROM for Mi2A" means that it will be a "cut version" of MIUI (different than a "full" MIUI running at a phone with more RAM (eg Mi2S))?

(my main dilemma is whether to buy Mi2A or Mi2S 32GB)

No exactly the same rom, but optimisation in kernel, code... Mi2A, Mi2/S and Mi3 have a different hardware. Each rom will be optimized for each hardware.

Mi2S is better than Mi2A, off course, but price not the same.

thanks again.
I've a few more things to ask regarding Mi2A and its differences to Mi2S.

1. Regarding video quality, I found out (?) that probably it's the same sensor (8.0MP, f2.0) used for Mi2, Mi2A and Mi2S (16GB) models and that it's a Sony or Samsung one (although non-branded). Can you please confirm that?

2. Watching some videos on youtube/vimeo, I noticed that there's a weird motion lag (seems like an effect :D) and a problem in stabilization (for example, you may check this video, after 3:10).
Is video stabilization a matter of software or does it have to do only with the sensor itself? Because, if it's the software only, then I think that it's not worth getting the Mi2S 32GB (with the new 13.0MP sensor) (and perhaps that explains why eg. iPhone -with the same or worse sensor- shoots more stable videos).

3. I noticed in some videos (like this) that Mi2A screen colors are more "greenish" than the Mi2S'. Is that something that can be fixed (eg brightness, color balance etc)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
on AOKP i mostly have between 300-400MB free, which is more than enough

but if you have enough money: go for the M2s

thanks again.
I've a few more things to ask regarding Mi2A and its differences to Mi2S.

1. Regarding video quality, I found out (?) that probably it's the same sensor (8.0MP, f2.0) used for Mi2, Mi2A and Mi2S (16GB) models and that it's a Sony or Samsung one (although non-branded). Can you please confirm that?

2. Watching some videos on youtube/vimeo, I noticed that there's a weird motion lag (seems like an effect :D) and a problem in stabilization (for example, you may check this video, after 3:10).
Is video stabilization a matter of software or does it have to do only with the sensor itself? Because, if it's the software only, then I think that it's not worth getting the Mi2S 32GB (with the new 13.0MP sensor) (and perhaps that explains why eg. iPhone -with the same or worse sensor- shoots more stable videos).

3. I noticed in some videos (like this) that Mi2A screen colors are more "greenish" than the Mi2S'. Is that something that can be fixed (eg brightness, color balance etc)?

Thanks.

1.- Yes,Mi2, Mi2A and Mi2S (16GBs) use the same sensor
2.- "Jello effect" common on most compact digital cameras (cellphones included), if you want to record video AVOID the 32 GBs version of M2S, it has a bug that limits the framerate to 22.75 fps instead of 30 fps, causing crappy motion, (it may be fixed in the future if xiaomi releases the complete source code).

@squallmx,
thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, I went for the 32GB version a few hours ago. :( I hope it will be fixed in the future.

ps. Apparently, I haven't noticed the "jello effect" in any of the iPhone videos I've seen. Is it a matter of hardware or software?