Redmi 4 Unlock Problem

mksiazek

Members
Jan 11, 2017
Hi All,
I am facing the following problem with my son's Redmi 4 device:
1. Unlock pattern has been defined on the device and immediately forgotten by my son :)
2. Device was not registered on the web
3. Trying to switch to recovery mode (Volume Up & Power) brings only black screen with white picture engaging to connect device to USB/PC. After plug in nothing happens although having installed MiSuite on PC
4. Assuming this would require new ROM installation I got permission from xiaomi to unlock the bootloader.
5. However the unlock procedure using MiUnlock 1.1 and fastboot stucked on 50% with error "Couldn't verify device" . I assume because not having China development ROM installed first. But this would require to have access to the phone and have this performed by Update apps... I have no access to the phone at all :-(

Please indicate what I am doing wrong, since I have no idea for next steps.
I'm looking for any way to get access to the phone even if it would get rid of user data on it.

Thanks in advance.
KR
Mark

There's always a way, relax^^

What's your current MIUI version? Couldn't verify device could mean that you're on a vendor ROM.

I'd say rebooting to EDL and flashing a fastboot ROM is a safe bet. Just follow the first step in the thread called "[r4pro/xiaomi Devices In General] Guide To Unlock/flash/get Rid Of Fake Roms" (don't have enough post to be able to post links, just google it).

Thanks for reply and hint. :)
But still as a prerequisite to start I need to install Chinese ROM which is simply mission impossible without access to phone settings (USB debugging /developer options and so on).
How to start without access to the phone then...???
KR
Mark

Yes, MiFlash connects to device in fastboot mode.
Device id appears on the screen after refreshing.
Which ROM do you suggest to load first? (over fake one)
I tried with Chinese Dev one for prada but flashing fails immediately with error "Flash tz error" :-(
KR
Mark

According to "5." you already got the permission to unlock the bootloader? Do you plan installing the Xiaomi EU ROM or a China Dev/Stable?
If you want a Xiaomi EU ROM, you have to unlock the bootloader, therefore you need the DEV fastboot ROM.

Click the first link in the guide and download the right DEV ROM for your phone (are you sure it's a Prada aka. Redmi 4 [not A or Prime]?). It should end with .tgz. Now you unzip the .tgz in another folder, it should be a .tar now. Unzip the tar to another folder; that's the folder you will select in the MiFlash programm.

Use this one to boot to EDL mode: "[GUIDE]How to reboot to EDL from fastboot" (on XDA; still can't post links).

Thanks once again!
Yes I got the permission to unlock the bootloader, already confirmed by MiFlashUnlock tool.
As far as of ROM version goes - could be any version with EN language to get access to device.

Following guide to boot in EDL mode it looks weird: after invoking reboot.bat everything is fine, it recognizes the device in fastboot mode however after hitting ENTER to reboot in EDL mode the batch returns success but the device is restarted to normal mode (and after booting access is denied due to unlock pattern)...
Do you have any idea how to proceed further?
KR
Mark

Haha, I'm stupid. Totally forgot that you can just hold vol+ and Power and then click Download to get in the EDL mode. Your phone then looks like as if it was turned off, but that's what the EDL looks like.

In the MiFlash tool your phone should pop up as COMx, depending on the USB port.

Don't be so self-critical.:)
It's not as easy as it seems after reading net guides.
I can boot device using Volume + and Power but as I wrote in first post (vide no. 3) it brings the phone to the state with black screen, white graphics of the phone and plug. In this mode it recognizes being connected to the PC or not, however the PC (especially MiFlash) does not. I cannot simply flash in this mode.
Should MiFlash recognize device in EDL mode? Or only in fastboot one?
If yes I may investigate the connectivity problem between PC and the device in EDL mode...
What you think?
KR
Mark

That's weird. You don't get to this screen ?

xiaomi-redmi_3_download_mode-w782.jpg

Are you sure you're pressing only Vol+ and Power and not Vol+, Vol- and Power at the same time?

:)
I wish I have this screen - even in Chinese :).
Attached what I get pressing Volume + & Power regardless if I keep pressing Volume + and releasing only Power after Mi logo appears (I've found this somewhere on xiaomi sites) or keep pressing both.
That's why I'm so confused, I do not believe there is no option to hack (overflash) the phone....
File_000.jpeg
File_001.jpeg

Not really :-(.
While issuing command as phone is in fastboot mode returnes the device is locked (bootloader?):
------------------------
c:\Tools>fastboot_edl devices
32f3c4d5 fastboot

c:\Tools>fastboot_edl oem edl
FAILED (remote: The device is locked)
finished. total time: 0.002s
-------------------------
KR
Mark

Do not bother yourself with the problem anymore. :)
I have solved it - the key was how to enter EDL mode in this particular model.
And for my device answer is:
Turn off your smartphone
Connect the smartphone to the PC / laptop and at the same time we press both volume buttons
After the vibration release the volume button

The most helpful was thread http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=783286
After translation of course.

Thank you very much for your attention and help anyway!
KR
Mark

Hello Mark,

I have exactly your problem, a brand new Redmi 4 Pro not registered and locked by a forgotten unlock pattern.

Could you be so kind to explain me the steps you followed to recover your device?
Is the BL unlock procedure required or not?

Many thanks in advance,
Davide

Hello Mark,

I have exactly your problem, a brand new Redmi 4 Pro not registered and locked by a forgotten unlock pattern.

Could you be so kind to explain me the steps you followed to recover your device?
Is the BL unlock procedure required or not?

Many thanks in advance,
Davide

Hello Davide,
I have only found the way to reset the phone (loosing all user data) not to recover :-(.
But in my case was enough.
Some tips how to start you can find in my previous message:
"I have solved it - the key was how to enter EDL mode in this particular model.
And for my device answer is:
Turn off your smartphone
Connect the smartphone to the PC / laptop and at the same time we press both volume buttons
After the vibration release the volume button

The most helpful was thread http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=783286"

Once you enter EDL mode in proper way you can follow guidelines available widely on the net how to proceed further.
As far as I remember BL unlock procedure is useless once you do not bother to keep user data on the phone.

KR
Mark

Thank you Mark!

I was able to perform a factory reset following the instructions reported on 4pda.ru forum