Replace Xiaomi Stock Miui That Can Still Ota/less Maintenance For Non-techie

umirza

Members
Oct 17, 2017
So I've gotten an Mi 5s Plus for my wife but she wants a more up to date version of Android than what Xiaomi is releasing (current is MIUI 8.5/Android 6.0.1) as they take forever to update.

Obviously I don't want to be tech support moving forward, and I'd like her to be on the latest version of Android. I just really want this to be a set and forget sort of thing, so assuming it would need to be a base ROM of some sort from a major releaser, hopefully there is something released with everything working.

Would this be a good ROM I could use on her phone so that she doesn't have to worry about updates as she will just receive them OTA?... I'm not sure if this has OTA updates.

As with myself she also will require the phone to be NON-ROOTED for her work, along with banking apps (which I'm assuming you can always remove root/lock the phone after installing the ROM).

I don't mind if its a version of MIUI or not but I'd like it so that all the features of the phone still work which I'm assuming would be MIUI.

Thanks for any help.

So I've gotten an Mi 5s Plus for my wife but she wants a more up to date version of Android than what Xiaomi is releasing (current is MIUI 8.5/Android 6.0.1) as they take forever to update.

Obviously I don't want to be tech support moving forward, and I'd like her to be on the latest version of Android. I just really want this to be a set and forget sort of thing, so assuming it would need to be a base ROM of some sort from a major releaser, hopefully there is something released with everything working.

Would this be a good ROM I could use on her phone so that she doesn't have to worry about updates as she will just receive them OTA?... I'm not sure if this has OTA updates.

As with myself she also will require the phone to be NON-ROOTED for her work, along with banking apps (which I'm assuming you can always remove root/lock the phone after installing the ROM).

I don't mind if its a version of MIUI or not but I'd like it so that all the features of the phone still work which I'm assuming would be MIUI.

Thanks for any help.
You don't say whether it is China or Global. I just bought a MiMax with Global, downloaded the dev rom from the Xiaomi site and am now on MIUI 9/Nougat. I will get weekly updates and it seems as if the final/stable release is close anyway - so maybe it was unnecessary. I have no issues with my banking apps Or you can go the eu route which involves a little more work and maybe uncertainty. See my post a couple of hours ago.

You don't say whether it is China or Global. I just bought a MiMax with Global, downloaded the dev rom from the Xiaomi site and am now on MIUI 9/Nougat. I will get weekly updates and it seems as if the final/stable release is close anyway - so maybe it was unnecessary. I have no issues with my banking apps Or you can go the eu route which involves a little more work and maybe uncertainty. See my post a couple of hours ago.
Currently on Global stable. I was thinking about global dev, the barclays bank app is notoriously more strict then some other banks. Also can you verify if android pay work on the global dev?

Currently on Global stable. I was thinking about global dev, the barclays bank app is notoriously more strict then some other banks. Also can you verify if android pay work on the global dev?
Can't help with either I'm afraid.

For me, only the LineageOS updater works well (also in the weeklies). You do miss the additional MIUI functionality though...
It should also work with all banks as it has a Google certificate.

If for some reason it doesn't, rooting with Magisk will work with any custom ROM (also the ones from Xiaomi.eu) as it will fool software to think it has the stock software running. You can also run it as a deamon, so without root invulnerabilities.

Reactions: Adeolu