Rookie Question: Mimax 4gb/128 From Gearbest / Rite Way, Rite Rom

Latinumking

Members
Jul 27, 2016
Hi Guys
Im new to this site and also new to Xiaomi.
I just received this week my new hammer mobile.
I did not realise that Gearbest locks update functions.
My MiMax is loaded with 7.4.160.
Mobile is working with Playstore, Gmail and dual sim cards. Used the mobile for one week, no crash at all.
Basically, I have no big need to upgrade, only one major reason. Upgrades for security sake.
With that standard ROM, I use German based OS-Settings.

Is there a way to deactivate Gearbests update lock? I now that guarantee is gone then, so what.
I do not want to root the device nor play with development tools.
Basically, I need just a stable version that is updateable.

What would you guys suggest me to do?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Kind regards,

Lati

Hi Lati, they (the phone retailers) install their ROM so you have to flash a Xiaomi ROM (instead of the gearbest ROM) with MiFlashTool. Have a nice day :)

Hi Guys
Im new to this site and also new to Xiaomi.
I just received this week my new hammer mobile.
I did not realise that Gearbest locks update functions.
My MiMax is loaded with 7.4.160.
Mobile is working with Playstore, Gmail and dual sim cards. Used the mobile for one week, no crash at all.
Basically, I have no big need to upgrade, only one major reason. Upgrades for security sake.
With that standard ROM, I use German based OS-Settings.

Is there a way to deactivate Gearbests update lock? I now that guarantee is gone then, so what.

What would you guys suggest me to do?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Kind regards,

Lati

Are you familiar with ADB tools? I'm going to receive the same device you gave next week, and they told me before that it comes bootloader unlocked. If you're familiar with ADB you could check if that's true, and if it is, you just have to flash the TWRP Recovery, and then flash the latest rom you find in the weekly releases.
From there on, you can check for updates right inside the system, as Xiaomi.eu roms support OTA updates.

Then the best for you is to flash MIUI ROM with MiFlashTool (fastboot) you don't need unlocked bootloader so you keep your guarantee and you have OTA updates.That's how I made for my Mi Max hydrogen and it worked fine.

and you can't unlock bootloader with retailer's ROM you must have official MIUI.

Then the best for you is to flash MIUI ROM with MiFlashTool (fastboot) you don't need unlocked bootloader so you keep your guarantee and you have OTA updates.That's how I made for my Mi Max hydrogen and it worked fine.

and you can't unlock bootloader with retailer's ROM you must have official MIUI.
If you bothered reading my post after his, you could have seen that Gearbest told me they ship Xiaomis with bootloader unlocked from the official Xiaomi channels.
Installing a recovery and flashing Xiaomi.eu roms are not that complicated tasks, especially if you have a pc, where most of the tools come as "press 1 to install this, press 2 to install that".
I, on the other end, have to deal with commands because all I have at home are Macs. ;)

Their reply to my direct question "is it bootloader unlocked?" was:
"Hello fast83,

This phone is bootloader unlocked with the permission to Xiaomi when we get it.

It is CN multilingual ROM for worldwide using.

Thanks for your attention."

Update: I received my Max Pro(4/128), checked with ADB and... SURPRISE SURPRISE! It's bootloader locked.
I already applied for unlocking with Xiaomi... More waiting...

I'm also waiting for my Max Pro 128 GB from Gearbest, and since it probably is locked, I'll try the method described here:

en.miui.com slash thread-324921-1-1.html

Sounds like it is possible to avoid the waiting for unlocking.

I just checked other threads, and putting the right zip files in the phone and selecting it through the updater app seems to be working for updating to the China Dev rom, so why bother with fastboot?
Even the flash guide provided by xiaomi official site describes it as "download, move it to the phone, flash it through updater".
Is there something wrong with this procedure?

On Redmin Note 3, also from Gearbest and locked bootloader, this was not possible due to the unofficial ROM installed. But nice if it is possible on the Max, you could try and report if it works using the updater.

On Redmin Note 3, also from Gearbest and locked bootloader, this was not possible due to the unofficial ROM installed. But nice if it is possible on the Max, you could try and report if it works using the updater.

I can try tonight, but I would rather have some confirmation whether this is possible or not.
I mean, what happens when I select the zip file? I couldn't when I posted because the device was under 30% of battery.
Will it give an error? Will it proceed installing and then I'll have a bricked device? I can't seem to find any info on this.
What happened when choosing the zip file under the Updater app on the Mi Note 3?

The Redmi Note 3 bought on Gearbest will not update with the installed updater and downloaded official ROM. It was an error message saying the installed ROM is not an official ROM. I had to install the official ROM using Miflash.

The phones bought from gearbest have a rom wich is not official, and will not be update normally. But be aware if you glash anythung, according to gearbest you void the warranty. The bootloader is locked bu default, because unlocling with official method is linked to mi account. If you use unofficial method some problems may occur using some type of rom, i suggest to use official method, i made the request and received sms after only two days. I'm waiting a redmi note pro from fearbest, i will flash it with miflash as soon as it's charged, with global dev rom, so i can access to bootloader unlocking and flash with xiaomi eu stable, as soon as it's published.. miui 8 stable is coming august 23...

Inviato dal mio PLK-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

The phones bought from gearbest have a rom wich is not official, and will not be update normally. But be aware if you glash anythung, according to gearbest you void the warranty. The bootloader is locked bu default, because unlocling with official method is linked to mi account. If you use unofficial method some problems may occur using some type of rom, i suggest to use official method, i made the request and received sms after only two days. I'm waiting a redmi note pro from fearbest, i will flash it with miflash as soon as it's charged, with global dev rom, so i can access to bootloader unlocking and flash with xiaomi eu stable, as soon as it's published.. miui 8 stable is coming august 23...

Inviato dal mio PLK-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

I see you're Italian like me!
I didn't know because it's my first Xiaomi device and also my first smartphone from Gearbest.
As said before, I asked them and they replied they have Xiaomi permission to unlock the devices... But hey, maybe the customer service reads "unlocked" as "works with all carriers". ;)
Anyway, I followed DoomSlayer instructions on Miui forums (http://en.miui.com/thread-324921-1-1.html), I'm still locked of course, but with TWRP, Xiaomi.eu latest rom, SuperSU, and even Xposed.
So from where I stand, I couldn't care less about unlocking right now, I've got all I need.
(But I'll unlock anyway when Xiaomi gives me the go :D)
As for Gearbest Warranty, well, you could simply install the latest stable rom from here, because that's what was installed on my device. In my view, I've paid 270 euros for a 4GB/128GB device, if warranty is void, well, who cares. XD

Thank you fast83 for your explaination. I prepare to go the same way. I downloaded and read the doomslayer instruction. Which rom did you download for the 4gb/128gb Mi monster? (developer oder stable?) is it ota updateable?
Thank you for your help.

Thank you fast83 for your explaination. I prepare to go the same way. I downloaded and read the doomslayer instruction. Which rom did you download for the 4gb/128gb Mi monster? (developer oder stable?) is it ota updateable?
Thank you for your help.

I simply downloaded the latest weekly rom, so you can download that now (6.8.18), just make sure it's the MIMAXPRO one.
Just one thing though, download the right TWRP here https://dl.twrp.me/helium/ and save it to a microsd, as well as all the other files you need to flash (so that when you format data, you still have the external memory intact).
When you first boot into TWRP, before following the other steps to install the rom, root and so on, flash the .img file you downloaded from TWRP site as recovery, so you have the right one and not the one modified by DoomSlayer (it gave me several errors flashing).
Then, reboot recovery again and proceed flashing the rom (after you formatted data and followed the other steps in DoomSlayer guide).
As far as I can tell this procedure doesn't allow to have updates OTA, but you simply can do what I do, download the newest rom, put it onto the internal or external memory, reboot to recovery (you can do that by choosing it from the menu in the Updater or simply keeping volume up pressed while the device boots), flash the zip file, clear cache and dalvik (the recovery reminds you, so you won't forget), and reboot to system.
Also, it seems that Xiaomi.eu rom overrides the official recovery, so you'll always have TWRP and never have to connect it to MiFlash again.
Once you do it 2 times, it just feels natural, it's no biggie.
If you want root, xposed, or any other file that modifies the system, after flashing a new (updated) rom, you'll have to flash again all those files.
If you need help, glad to provide it ;)

Thank you fast83, I did it but went for the stable not the develpment version without weeekly uploads, I hope that I get however some ota upgrades with the need to install every app again...

Thank you fast83, I did it but went for the stable not the develpment version without weeekly uploads, I hope that I get however some ota upgrades with the need to install every app again...

I would personally advise to get the weekly updates instead, because the stable version is still on MIUI 7...
You lose A LOT of functionalities not being on MIUI 8.
EDIT: sorry, I didn't realise they released MIUI 8 stable for our MiMax... XD
Believe me, I've updated like 3 or 4 times everytime reflashing SuperSU, Xposed, modding the screen DPI etc and all went well.
For some reason, everytime I flash the new rom, system reboots before asking me to do so, and not showing if it went well or not.
The first time I didn't catch it on time and it reset, so I discovered it actually flashed the rom.
Just to be on the safe side, I reflashed it and nothing went wrong.

Last edited:
Hi, I did use doomslayer method for my gearbest mimax pro without unlocking and with no root. There is now a stable version of MIUI8 out for the pro.

Gesendet von meinem MI MAX mit Tapatalk

I would personally advise to get the weekly updates instead, because the stable version is still on MIUI 7...
You lose A LOT of functionalities not being on MIUI 8.
EDIT: sorry, I didn't realise they released MIUI 8 stable for our MiMax... XD
Believe me, I've updated like 3 or 4 times everytime reflashing SuperSU, Xposed, modding the screen DPI etc and all went well.
For some reason, everytime I flash the new rom, system reboots before asking me to do so, and not showing if it went well or not.
The first time I didn't catch it on time and it reset, so I discovered it actually flashed the rom.
Just to be on the safe side, I reflashed it and nothing went wrong.
Hi Fast83, thank you for your feedback. There is a stable miui8 version out now, I did successfully install this version as per doomslayer's instruction
I have rather a stable version versus development version. What I don't know how ever is if this version gets ota or Update without new Installation of Apps and settings.
Cheers
Lati

Gesendet von meinem MI MAX mit Tapatalk

I bought a Mi Max 2/16 from gearbest and reading this thread I understand that probably I have to remove fake rom to install weekly release. Please someone can link me guides to:

- Remove fake rom
- Install TWRP
- Install Supersu
- Install weekly rom

???

I'm a very noob with ADB and similar :(

I bought a Mi Max 2/16 from gearbest and reading this thread I understand that probably I have to remove fake rom to install weekly release. Please someone can link me guides to:

- Remove fake rom
- Install TWRP
- Install Supersu
- Install weekly rom

???

I'm a very noob with ADB and similar :(

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads...ed-bootloader-hardbrick-recovery.33680/unread

Here's the guide you're looking for.
Obviously flash the right recovery, I don't know if TWRP for MiMax 2/16 is the same as the one for the 3/32.