Running on ZTE GRAND X Quad V987

Codeman

Members
Aug 7, 2013
Hello,

I'm about to buy a new phone and I plan to run Miui on. I'm in Europe, and for 3G, my provider is using 900/2100 so I'm a bit limited in my choice of phones.

Now I've seen that in the latest roms the ZTE V987 (P188F04 is ZTE GRAND X Quad V987).

However, I don't entirely understand :

- Is this an "official" phone to run Miui on ? Would it be a good choice to buy this phone if I want to run Miui, or is there a better choice?
- If it is not an "official" Miui phone, will I be able to do OTA updates in the future? Are there other disadvantages?
- Did I understand correctly that the dual SIM feature is supported in this latest Miui release? Being able to use dual sim would be a definitely plus for me.

Thank you so much!

Hello, i just bought it 1 week ago and it's a very good phone. It's supported officially on MIUI chinese and here too. I'm currently running MIUI V5 3.8.9 and it works great, i just found two bugs and going to involve into developpment on that model.
The main developper of MIUI china said that he chooses the V987 as a basis to developp MIUI V5.

The chinese link : http://www.miui.com/getrom.php?r=88

Regards

- Is this an "official" phone to run Miui on ? Would it be a good choice to buy this phone if I want to run Miui, or is there a better choice?
- If it is not an "official" Miui phone, will I be able to do OTA updates in the future? Are there other disadvantages?
- Did I understand correctly that the dual SIM feature is supported in this latest Miui release? Being able to use dual sim would be a definitely plus for me.

There are two miui v987 developers already.
Both well known.
GTbluesky has 3 builds with OTA, too. Latest is 3.8.16 (new builds are out every friday)
Juelian has 3.8.16 build (independent from GTbluesky, as he says)

MIUI for v987 will be, most probably, official soon.
It will become official with xiaomi`s first MTK model, Red Rice (2 sim), software development.
MobileUncle website announced that MIUI is releasing dual-sim support by next spring.

I have Juelian`s release on my v987 and it is very good. Still tight on free ram, but not much
noticeable during normal use. Back and home buttons are a bit lazy.

Didn`t try 2 sims, did˙t see any settings - maybe if I put another sim in - it shows.
Anyway, there wil be a 2 sim MIUI soon, for sure.

If Miui puts you down (which it won`t) you can always go to LeWa OS.
Official 4.2 rom for v987 and gives new releases on every friday.

Thanks for the replies !

Hearing this good news, I ordered my v987, it's already being shipped out, so I'll be a member of the miui community soon, I hope ! :)

Hello guys,

My v987 arrived :) I want to install Miui android, but I want to make a backup of the current rom of course.
My phone arrived rooted with Clockworkmod recovery, but it is in chinese...

Do you know if there is an English version of Clockworkmod recovery, as the rom manager says the device is officially not supported...

Did you do any other special steps to install Miui?

Thanks!

Hello Dakok !

Wow, thanks a lot for the links! I already managed to install MIUI by fiddling in the Chinese menu's, but installing your version would be much better ofcourse.

I unzipped the CWM file, there is a rescue.img file and a seperate text file which is called MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt. I don't have to rename this file, this is the correct filename before flashing? In Mobileuncle tools I just have to choose "Recovery Update" and choose this rescue.img file?

I'm quite new to Android, so to make sure that I understand this correctly :

1) the recovery part is a seperate partition on the internal memory (like, an internal sd card). So I have to make sure that this CWM update happens in a right way, or my phone will be permanently broken.

2) Now that I'm asking questions :) The v987 has a "system" partition and "internal phone memory", which is quite unuseful when you have an external sd card. Is it possible to repartition this, so that you have 3 GB usable memory for apps? Or is this a bad idea?

It should be yes for both questions, but to be on the
safe side, check v987 rom topic by bruno on xda forum.