Screen off + headset button != google now

p3rljam

Members
Mar 2, 2013
Hey Guys,

I have a Xiaomi MI2 running the latest 3.3.8 dev rom. One of my friends was making a complaint about how Google Now wasn't accessable via the headset button with the screen off. So I tried it. Turns out the voice assist still hijacks the request. i was wondering if anybody else noticed this or was able to resolve it. I'll attempt a few things later on today, but I figure I'd put the question out there.

Thanks,
P3rljam

Did you uninstall Voice Assist? Its a /data app so you can uninstall. And after that go to Settings > Buttons and make sure that the voice assist function is turned ON. Then you will have Google Now under menu button and maybe your headset will work.

I did try as you suggested earlier. It seemed like the obvious solution. Unfortunately it still will not work for Google Now with the screen off. It will however now work with the screen on. So its half way there. I've tried reinstalling Google Search to see if maybe there is a stale setting somewhere to no avail. To confirm I am able to start and stop playing music with the button, so it is recognized, but not for Google Now. I am aware that this bug afflicts android 4.2.2 users of the Nexus 4. There is a chance this could be a bug with Google Now, not MIUI.