Settings App Crashes After Going From Lineageos To Miui

Pumpino

Members
Aug 9, 2016
I was running LineageOS on my Kate. I wanted to try the latest xiaomi.eu ROM and so I switched to ZCX TWRP, wiped everything except internal storage, and then flashed the ROM and SuperSU 2.79 SR3.

However, when I rebooted into the setup, it wouldn't get past the Mi account screen due to it reporting that my device couldn't be verified, and it wouldn't let me skip the step. Rebooting seemed to get past the step. However, whenever I press the settings icon, the app crashes.

I had flashed Psy_Man's 12/1/2017 firmware for Kate. Could this be causing the problem? The camera, etc works. I'd hate to have to wipe the device with MiFlash.

Hey, i expierienced something similiar when i wanted to switch from RR 5.7.4 MM rom to latest xiaomi.eu rom.
in order to get it working i had to clean flash a MIUI rom ...even my first ALKA backup got me to the same "bug" with crashing settings app.
so... clean install -> good to go.

nevertheless am curious whats happening there ... so after using a custom rom we are not able to flash MIUI based roms?

Reactions: Pumpino
Hey, i expierienced something similiar when i wanted to switch from RR 5.7.4 MM rom to latest xiaomi.eu rom.
in order to get it working i had to clean flash a MIUI rom ...even my first ALKA backup got me to the same "bug" with crashing settings app.
so... clean install -> good to go.

nevertheless am curious whats happening there ... so after using a custom rom we are not able to flash MIUI based roms?

It looks like it's not possible to freely switch between MIUI and custom ROMs by simply restoring a backup. The thing that puts me off is that flashing MIUI in fastboot or EDL modes is so fiddly, and often the phone isn't detected properly in MiFlash for no obvious reason, etc. And then you can find that the official bootloader unlocking tool gets stuck at 50%, so you have to unlock unofficially. Basically, I could find that an entire morning is gone just because I had a quirky desire to return to MIUI briefly. :)

well i never experienced any problems flasing in edl mode. start in fastboot, jump from fastboot into edl mode by app, then flash miflash and flash official rom with swapped recovery.img . but yes... i spent hours of finding out that easy switching between miui and custom roms is not possible

well i never experienced any problems flasing in edl mode. start in fastboot, jump from fastboot into edl mode by app, then flash miflash and flash official rom with swapped recovery.img . but yes... i spent hours of finding out that easy switching between miui and custom roms is not possible

When I tried last night, MiFlash reported an error when in fastboot mode, and when in EDL mode, MiFlash wouldn't detect the phone. I'll try again today.

Do you have a link with the method of replacing recovery.img? Does this simply unlock the bootloader or does it flash TWRP?

EDIT: Nevermind, I presume you mean this method. https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/kate-guide-install-lineage-os-locked-t3546154

Last edited:
Can I ask which version of TWRP you use to flash xiaomi.eu ROMs? So basically, your bootloader remains locked, but you could flash a custom ROM like LineageOS at any time, but switching back to MIUI wouldn't be possible without a full wipe?

Once you've flashed MIUI with the custom recovery.img, am I correct in thinking that you can't change to a different version of TWRP without a full wipe, due to the bootloader being locked?

i use ZCX twrp. AFAIK i swapped my twrp version without a problem while using the flash image function inside twrp.

exactly, once on custom rom like aosp lineage i can only use those. if i want to try miui based rom i have to start over again with miflash flashing miui rom with replaced recovery.img.

It looks like it's not possible to freely switch between MIUI and custom ROMs by simply restoring a backup. The thing that puts me off is that flashing MIUI in fastboot or EDL modes is so fiddly, and often the phone isn't detected properly in MiFlash for no obvious reason, etc. And then you can find that the official bootloader unlocking tool gets stuck at 50%, so you have to unlock unofficially. Basically, I could find that an entire morning is gone just because I had a quirky desire to return to MIUI briefly. :)

@Pumpino and other unfortunate owners of a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro Special Edition. [kate]

Follow the instructions by RedmiPac/blackpac and you should be able to unlock officially.
Do not follow other guides or FAQs from MIUI official forum.
It will not work unless you are able to add account and device under "Mi Unlock status".

I had been trying since october last year. Check this thread and attached pic and you can see that it worked:

edit: Not allowed to post urls? Well, nevermind then...

Attachments

• unlocked2.PNG
    unlocked2.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 591
I tried, but:
You cannot post links or email addresses until you have 10 posts. This is to prevent SPAM
:(

I got your pasted instructions via private message. Unfortunately, there's nothing in there that I haven't tried before (many times). I've unlocked two other Xiaomi devices, so I know all of the tricks. :) Thanks anyway.

I got your pasted instructions via private message. Unfortunately, there's nothing in there that I haven't tried before (many times). I've unlocked two other Xiaomi devices, so I know all of the tricks. :) Thanks anyway.

Well, I know what you mean. But the ROM version is the key. Have you tried this one?
It doesn't have the "Mi Unlock status" menu in developer options.
Please try before you dismiss it.

For those of you who are stuck on 50% Couldn't verify device - ''Current account is different from the account info on the device''
I would stongley advise to flash recovery and do nandroid backup before you proceed in case of bootloops, IMEI lose etc...
Don't forget to backup your data!!!

Files you'll need
* MiFlash 2016.08.30.0
api.bbs.miui. com/url/MiFlash
* ROM File: kate_global_images_6.7.14_20160629.0000.25_6.0_global_1b43c8f07f.tgz
bigota.d.miui. com/6.7.14/kate_global_images_6.7.14_20160629.0000.25_6.0_global_1b43c8f07f.tgz
* Mi Unlock Tool v1.1
en.miui. com/thread-221493-1-1.html
(remove spaces, can't insert urls)

1. flash kate_global_images_6.7.14_20160629.0000.25_6.0_global_1b43c8f07f using MiFlash 2016.08.30.0
2. reboot device
3. hard reset the device Settings>Additional Settings>Backup & Reset>Factory Data Reset>Reset Phone
4. cleanboot the device
5. setup your Mi Account (I used mobile number)
6. go to Settings>About phone and tap on "MIUI Version" 7 times to enable "Developer Options"
7. go to Settings>Additional Settings>Developer Options, enable "OEM unlocking" and "USB Debugging"
8. connect device to the computer and authorize USB Debugging on the device
9. disconnect device from Computer
10. login to i.mi.com (I used mobile number)
11. find device
12. power off the device
13. boot the device into fasboot mode - hold volume down+power
14. login Mi Unlock v1.1 (I used mobile number)
15. connect the phone to computer
16. proceed with UNLOCK

Please report back if it worked...

Last edited:
I was running LineageOS on my Kate. I wanted to try the latest xiaomi.eu ROM and so I switched to ZCX TWRP, wiped everything except internal storage, and then flashed the ROM and SuperSU 2.79 SR3.

However, when I rebooted into the setup, it wouldn't get past the Mi account screen due to it reporting that my device couldn't be verified, and it wouldn't let me skip the step. Rebooting seemed to get past the step. However, whenever I press the settings icon, the app crashes.

I had flashed Psy_Man's 12/1/2017 firmware for Kate. Could this be causing the problem? The camera, etc works. I'd hate to have to wipe the device with MiFlash.
Same problem here. Couldn't officially unlock when I bought the phone months ago. I have clean flashed, tried different roms, updated TWRP, and the settings app still crashes every time. I suppose there's no way to install MIUI from recovery without this issue...

Same problem here. Couldn't officially unlock when I bought the phone months ago. I have clean flashed, tried different roms, updated TWRP, and the settings app still crashes every time. I suppose there's no way to install MIUI from recovery without this issue...

Try flashing this firmware. Also, try official TWRP 3.1.1 from the TWRP website. That's what I'm using now without any issues. https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/development/firmware-hmnote3proglobal-t3574361 and https://dl.twrp.me/kenzo/twrp-3.1.1-0-kenzo.img.

Thanks, Pumpino. I just gave up and flashed RR, but I'll keep that in mind if I want to go back to MIUI in the future.

Thanks, Pumpino. I just gave up and flashed RR, but I'll keep that in mind if I want to go back to MIUI in the future.

Actually, I have a vague recollection of having to format internal storage in TWRP at one stage, so that's another thing that may have solved it for me.