From xiaomi and 4pda.ru: ssh need developer firmware, or some 2014-15 old stable rom.
p.s.: Successfully installed ssh with developer rom from xiaomi official page!
0. You need download developer rom from Xiaomi page: http://www1.miwifi.com/miwifi_download.html Rom section Update your router manually from routers local web page.
1. You need download official miwifi_ssh.bin file from https://d.miwifi.com/rom/ssh
It is important to login with your Xiaomi account and having the router registered under it (best way is with the android app, google it, I'm not going to spend time on this here) as the file is personalized for your router and the page will also tell you your root password.
Procedure to flash miwifi_ssh.bin:
1. copy miwifi_ssh.bin on the root folder of a FAT32 formatted USB key.
2. disconnect the power from the router and connect the USB key to it. Do not connect before power off, or it will recover the original firmware! (for me recovered 2.6.103 int)
3. keep the reset button pressed while you connect the power, release the reset button when the router orange led starts flashing.
4. wait 3-5 seconds, router will restart and SSH will be available on port 22. WinScp works too! Username and pass same as your on https://d.miwifi.com/rom/ssh was!
I'm not able to access d.miwifi.com/rom/ssh at all. I always get
502 Bad Gateway
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Please report this message and include the following information to us.
Thank you very much!
Date: 2017/06/08 20:05:47
Powered by Tengine
What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?
PS: I've had to remove https:// from the beginning since I'm a newbie on the forum.
You can't do nothing, the website is off for a months. So you can't get ssh password unfortunately. Possibly there is a solution on russian forums, they are many things solved... I have no more accurate information about, how to root without ssh rights.
I have downloaded the miwifi_ssh.bin file. (from the site mentioned above, which is theoretically prepared to my router.)
Then I followed the instructions of @VictoryusHu :
but unfortunately the port 22 is not open, all the ssh connections - from other computers - were refused. Seems the ssh daemon is not started on my router. (Neither nmap command shows anything from port 22.)