Starling Bank - Mobile Banking "your device hasn't passed out security checks"

kmcknight1973

Members
Apr 15, 2023
Has anyone managed to use their Starling Bank app after installation of MIUI 14? I did Fastboot wipe and clean install. I now cannot use the banking app which says "your device hasn't passed out security checks" and then closes. All other banking apps are fine HSBC, Lloyds, Nationwide. All other apps etc, work fine.

It isn't rooted and it does indeed pass all of the safetynet checks (basic integrity, CTS Profile Match and Response Signature).
My phone is an XIAOMI MI 10 Ultra.

I would really appreciate if someone could kindly install and see if you can try and register as it'll complain either as soon as you either launch the app or when you click on register. Don't worry, you won't have to create anything but curious if it's something I've done with the MIUI14 install, or something that isn't being support by Starling Banking app.

Starling Bank - Mobile Banking

Many Thanks

Has anyone managed to use their Starling Bank app after installation of MIUI 14? I did Fastboot wipe and clean install. I now cannot use the banking app which says "your device hasn't passed out security checks" and then closes. All other banking apps are fine HSBC, Lloyds, Nationwide. All other apps etc, work fine.

It isn't rooted and it does indeed pass all of the safetynet checks (basic integrity, CTS Profile Match and Response Signature).

I would really appreciate if someone could kindly install and see if you can try and register as it'll complain either as soon as you either launch the app or when you click on register. Don't worry, you won't have to create anything but curious if it's something I've done with the MIUI14 install, or something that isn't being support by Starling Banking app.

Many Thanks
Check if there is a folder named Twrp in the storage and delete it

Reactions: mrbernard
Check if there is a folder named Twrp in the storage and delete it
I've checked both sd storage and internal storage and cannot find any folder named Twrp unfortunately so not sure if I'm looking in the right place or simply my incompetence. hehe

Last edited:
Hi, I am also experiencing the same issue. It started a few days ago, I was on 14.0.5.0 when it first appeared giving me 14 days to revert to "factory settings". Today I upgraded to 14.0.6.0 and still had the issue. I looked for TWRP folders (again none) and then reinstalled the Starling app but now it says my device does not reach their security standards and closes. This is a real problem as I am reliant on the app to do both my personal and business banking. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Scanning the phone using the MIUI Security Scan feature and safetynet both show nothing untoward is happenind.

I've rolled back to 14.0.4 with a full clean install and starling bank app is now working fine. So it's something changed from 14.0.5 onwards that is causing the issue.

Many Thanks

Mi 11, MIUI 14.0.8.0 didn't have an issue
Now that I've upgraded to 14.0.9.0 it's saying that message you have with 14 days to revert.

Last edited:
Update. Managed to get it working fine. I think this is the same OP asking in reddit too.
I did something slightly different. Instead of installing app, I used next nextdns. You'll need to reinstall and re register the bank app so that the warning message stops coming up everytime you close the app.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Update. Managed to get it working fine. I think this is the same OP asking in reddit too.
I did something slightly different. Instead of installing app, I used next nextdns. You'll need to reinstall and re register the bank app so that the warning message stops coming up everytime you close the app.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I can confirm this works. I used AdAway instead of NextDNS (AdAway has both a root [edits hosts] and stock [local VPN] mode). This is pretty annoying so I hope it can be addressed pretty soon since this seems to be a XEU issue (it's only present on >14.0.5.0). I ordered a card from Monzo too though, since AFAIK Monzo doesn't even check for anything including root. This would be slightly less annoying if Starling actually let you use your damned account through the web version without your phone (why the hell would I use it if I still need my phone Starling?)

Reactions: Will197
Think I found a quick fix. Installing 2.94.0.79651 from apk mirrors seems to have done the trick

Where did you find it? Searched and couldn't locate
It should be in the highest-tier folder your device allows you to go. But this seems to be device-dependent - I have TWRP installed, but I don't have a TWRP folder visible to me. If you can't find it, either use the AdAway trick or find another way to block that through DNS, or install v2.94.0.79651 of the app like Will197 said. I haven't tested this personally yet but I imagine this works as it's a new issue.

Thank you to all. I did, delete TWRP file and delete all apps that works with rooted phone like magisk manager and it works finally.

Anyone know which Dev ROM this started happening in? On 14.0.23.5.29, but not sure which version to rollback to (and don't want to wipe, so can't go to stable)

Anyone know which Dev ROM this started happening in? On 14.0.23.5.29, but not sure which version to rollback to (and don't want to wipe, so can't go to stable)
Rolled back to stable 14.0.4. Any version after that is an issue