Strange Serial Number On Redmi Note 3g

Sep 3, 2014
Hello, just received a Redmi Note 3G from b2cbuying.com. It came with a non-standard V96 something multilang firmware (not upgradeable).

For some reason, there is no updater app. Additionally, trying to select manually a firmware from about phone, crashes to the home screen...

Upon further inspection, the phone had a serial number 01234567890abcdef! Obviously, this had nothing to do with the number on the box.

Any idea what might be happening here? Perhaps a refurbished unit?

Sep 3, 2014
Some additional info. In the battery compartment there is a sticker that has both the IMEI and the S/N, both correct as per phone packaging.

But I still can not update the damned thing. Trying to enter the recovery mode, I am thrown into the menu with the 3 options (recovery, fastboot etc) and pressing vol+ does allow me to navigate, however vol- does nothing.

With a previous Redmi Note 3g I somehow overcame this problem, but I do not remember how. Any idea on how to proceed?

Sep 3, 2014
With a previous Redmi Note 3g I somehow overcame this problem, but I do not remember how. Any idea on how to proceed?
Ok, so I managed to enter recovery by enabling developer options on the phone, enabling USB debugging and then doing "adb reboot recovery"!

Using that I tried to flash the official Redmi Note 3G V37.0 stable (miui_H3W_JHDCNBH37.0_1cad113fee_4.2.zip ). It failed stating:
Code:
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "lsch92_wet_jb9" || _getprop("r.build.product") == "lcsh92_wet_jb9"
Installation aborted
Then I tried to flash the multilang V40 available from xiaomi.eu. It worked perfectly??!??!!!

Still, I wanted to flash once the official V37. I managed to do it from recovery, but by selecting update from adb and by using "adb sideload <official firmware fullpathname>" on the pc, while connected to the phone.

It puzzles me why the serial number was not the same as in the box. Refurbished after all?

Feb 1, 2013
I don't know about your update problem. But I had a Hongmi 1S that had the same serial number. Not a fake phone, got it from the official website of Xiaomi. I even checked it at the Xiaomi Center to be sure.

Sep 3, 2014
I even checked it at the Xiaomi Center to be sure.
I am certain this is an original phone, otherwise it would not accept any official or multi language firmware. Can you please provide a link to the Xiaomi authentication facility?