(Surround) Sound issues on Mi Box 3 with 8.0FW

Jul 26, 2018
Hi All,

I've got a Mi Box 3 International as an early birthday present from my wife. (Lucky me :) )
I replaced it instead of a Mac Mini that was used for Kodi and an Apple TV 3 for Netflix and YouTube.

Yesterday I connected everything and tested it.

The Mi Box is connected to my Yamaha Receiver through HDMI. The receiver forwards the image to my Pioneer plasma.

Issue 1:

While watching Netflix there's a sound drop every once in a while. Very annoying obviously. There isn't any image stutter, it's sound only.

Issue 2:

I can't get surround sound to work via any app. Netflix, Kodi, YouTube, none of them are sending 5.1 to my receiver.
I fiddled around with the small amount of settings that the Mi Box gives you but nothing helps.
My receiver constantly says the input is PCM2.0.

I really hope there's a solution for these issues as I otherwise will have to return the Mi Box I was hoping to use a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Kimme

Jun 26, 2018
Netflix has been rolling out (since july 23rd) the first update for Netflix app after the Oreo update arrived to the Mi Box a month ago, maybe issues are gone when you get it, otherwise I suggest you to contact Netflix directly.

Jul 26, 2018
Little follow-up after some testing:

As I had major connection problems while watching Netflix I've rebooted the Mi Box.
After that suddenly I had surround sound without changing a setting.
Let's hope it remains working now so I don't have to reboot the system everytime I want to watch something.

Issue 2 still appears. I've read somewhere it might have something to do with the refresh rate at 23,xxxx hz and that the Mi Box can't do live refresh rate switching. ( https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/7x2bpv )

Any news on this and how that might be fixed?

@delacosta78 I just go it yesterday and updated it to Oreo right away. After the update, all my apps were updated automatically so I assume I'm having the latest version.

Jun 26, 2018
"Any news on this and how that might be fixed?"

According to @MarkHUK he said on the next OTA the issue should be fixed

"I just go it yesterday and updated it to Oreo right away. After the update, all my apps were updated automatically so I assume I'm having the latest version"

You should verify the version of the app when you go to the play store -> my apps -> search for netflix app and the go to the app description, scroll down and search for the changelog, below that you should see the app version.

Jul 26, 2018
"Any news on this and how that might be fixed?"

According to @MarkHUK he said on the next OTA the issue should be fixed

"I just go it yesterday and updated it to Oreo right away. After the update, all my apps were updated automatically so I assume I'm having the latest version"

You should verify the version of the app when you go to the play store -> my apps -> search for netflix app and the go to the app description, scroll down and search for the changelog, below that you should see the app version.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Any news on an ETA of the OTA?

I just checked the Netflix version and there was indeed an update available. I wanted to test it but after being in sleep mode there were connection issues again so I guess it will be rebooting every time I'm going to use it. Let's hope that too will be resolved in the next OTA.

As for the sound drops in Netflix, I'll keep you updated when I had the chance to test it.

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply!
Any news on an ETA of the OTA?

I just checked the Netflix version and there was indeed an update available. I wanted to test it but after being in sleep mode there were connection issues again so I guess it will be rebooting every time I'm going to use it. Let's hope that too will be resolved in the next OTA.

As for the sound drops in Netflix, I'll keep you updated when I had the chance to test it.
No news about the next OTA, that's why you need to keep an eye on this forum to stay informed.

Jun 26, 2018
Ok thanks!
Just checked Netflix real quick and it still has the sound drops...
Make sure you turn off the "Dolby Sounds" setting and try again, otherwise, if you are using wifi I read somewhere on this forum the wifi issues could be the reason of the sound drop, if you can, try using a USB ethernet dongle, look for more info on this forum about this because there are some not working.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018
I'm having problem with my yamaha receiver too, but i guess this is a mibox issue.
If I set it to automatic, the mibox won't recognize the receiver, if I set to always, it plays DD+ (etc) but I get dropouts on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex and Kodi. DTS is ok 99,9% (still having 0,1% of audio dropout, but i think this has to do with the ethernet connection).

fire tv (2nd gen)
fire tv stick
an old android box (not ATV) is ok too.
everything is working fine but mibox. thinking of replacing it with an apple tv.

hooking it up to a receiver and having only stereo to work is lame.

edit: worked flawlessly on Marshmallow...

Jul 23, 2018
Could you keep us updated?
I was also thinking about AppleTV4 but sadly there's no kodi for that device... :(
sure do!

today I was trying some configuration and came across that my tv "pc mode" wasn't available (game mode was available, but turned off) in the hdmi port I used for my receiver/mibox.

then, I did a workaround and somehow enabled it. so far, no stuttering on netflix. will test with prime video too (used to stutter more than netflix). So maybe it was my Philips tv problem.

if you have game mode or pc mode on your tv, please try enabling it (tell me if it works!;))

the dd+ audio problem still is a no-no. already tried switching, new, faster cables, etc. but the dropouts are sometimes constantly, sometimes not.

will do some testing...

Jul 23, 2018
sure do!

today I was trying some configuration and came across that my tv "pc mode" wasn't available (game mode was available, but turned off) in the hdmi port I used for my receiver/mibox.

then, I did a workaround and somehow enabled it. so far, no stuttering on netflix. will test with prime video too (used to stutter more than netflix). So maybe it was my Philips tv problem.

if you have game mode or pc mode on your tv, please try enabling it (tell me if it works!;))

the dd+ audio problem still is a no-no. already tried switching, new, faster cables, etc. but the dropouts are sometimes constantly, sometimes not.

will do some testing...
sometimes when I raise the volume on the receiver I get a audio dropout for every time I press the volume up buttono_O. with the hdmi-cec option turned on, both receiver and mibox.

Jul 7, 2018
sometimes when I raise the volume on the receiver I get a audio dropout for every time I press the volume up buttono_O. with the hdmi-cec option turned on, both receiver and mibox.
Yeah that does happen! But it's not because of CEC. It's the IR sensor in the Mi Box. Picking up random IR commands from another remote causes interruptions in the bitstream audio. Try it with different buttons on other remotes... completely repeatable.

Jul 7, 2018
Yeah that does happen! But it's not because of CEC. It's the IR sensor in the Mi Box. Picking up random IR commands from another remote causes interruptions in the bitstream audio. Try it with different buttons on other remotes... completely repeatable.
I have the same problem with DD+, audio dropouts, and audio dropouts every time I press the volume up/down button. Yamaha receiver, too.

But I don't have audio dropouts with DD/ or 2.0, even if I'm pressing the volume button up/down. So, the IR problem should be only related with the sound formats that already have problems in this device/oreo release.

I will try blocking the Mi Box IR sensor to confirm it.

Jul 5, 2018
Nope! I dont think so its only IR "problem"....
I see this only while watching Netflix and with CEC working on Yamaha. If I switch off CEC on amp, problem is gone!
BTW I have CEC off on MiBox all the time.

Jul 7, 2018
Nope! I dont think so its only IR "problem"....
I see this only while watching Netflix and with CEC working on Yamaha. If I switch off CEC on amp, problem is gone!
BTW I have CEC off on MiBox all the time.
Really? Have you tried to bring the receiver remote up close to the Mi Box so that it doesn't point to the receiver, and pressing some buttons? Because the dropouts from the IR sensor don't happen every time. You have to keep pressing it, but it will always glitch eventually. And if they still happen, how do you know it's because of CEC on the receiver?

Jul 23, 2018
nope, just the yamaha remote. no problems with other remotes. will turn the hdmi-cec off, don't use it anyway. it's always a mess when I switch from the mibox to ps4 it just keep switching back to the mibox if it's not turned off, and when I do turn it off, it shuts down my receiver and also my tv. and when I turn my tv on, it tv keeps prompting that a new device is connected, it recognize as mibox, but my mibox it's not even connected direcly to my tv.

the only use I get for hdmi-cec is for ARC from tv to the receiver.

will turn everything off and do some tests.

Jul 26, 2018
Thanks for all the replies but I'm thinking to send back the MiBox while I still can and buy an AppleTV4. That means I'll have to switch from Kodi to Plex but if that means that everything just works I'll be glad to do just that.
Yesterday I've read that the link between this forum and Xiaomi isn't that good anymore and therefore the updates won't be coming as fast as initially thought so that's not really something I want to risk.

Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for all the replies but I'm thinking to send back the MiBox while I still can and buy an AppleTV4. That means I'll have to switch from Kodi to Plex but if that means that everything just works I'll be glad to do just that.
Yesterday I've read that the link between this forum and Xiaomi isn't that good anymore and therefore the updates won't be coming as fast as initially thought so that's not really something I want to risk.
well, today some beta testers received an ota uptade that improves wifi... and mark just deleted that post.

but I'm also thinking of buying an apple tv 4 and keep this mibox as spare connected to my bedroom tv, who knows in the future it will be fixed?