Twrp Can't Mount /system

Falkenfink

Members
Jul 8, 2016
As I am new, I cannot post links until I earn 10 points. I hence crippled the links by removing the http.

Hi there,

I recently bought a MiPad2 and now wanted to get EU build working with GAPPS. Followed the guide from here: tradingshenzhenblog(dot)com/support/tutorials/xiaomi-mipad2/ (careful, in German) and it worked.
This left me with TWRP 3.0.0-0 and a working system which did show the 963 error with GAPPS.

At the same time I read a little in this forum and also got the build from this thread: xiaomi(dot)eu/community/threads/xiaomi-eu-stable-7-5-2-0-feedback.32525/ with the openGAPPS indicated later on (x86_64 - 5.1 - pico). I did not remove the whetstone folder from the zip though. This resulted in a build that crashed when attempting the initial setup (wanted to select "English" as language and then it looked as though it was running out of memory).

I went back to my PC and created a ZIP without the whetstone folder. This ZIP I wanted to copy to storage while in TWRP and that's probably where I broke something. I plugged in the USB cable and established connection to PC, went to mount, checked the box next to "system". I still didn't see the tablet's storage on my PC and hence unchecked again.

The Problem:
By now, I thought I just reflash the ROM that worked earlier with the 963 error and transfer data then. However, installing or wiping it now would always get back to me saying "Failed to mount '/system' (Invalid argument)." When selecting install, I can access my storage, but I don't find the ZIPs anymore that I'd used to install from. Rebooting into Recovery (i.e. the TWRP I have installed) also doesn't fix this issue. Once it pointed out that "system" was read only (which I changed back as I never encountered it before). I tried a new TWRP install as well, but just get back to the same spot. Also, when I go to "mount" now, it doesn't allow me to check or uncheck "system".

It would be really nice, if someone had an idea what else I could do!

Big thanks in advance!

Thinking about this I realize that for mounting the tablet as a windows drive, mounting /system doesn't do it. Oh well, ... /system is there with folder /bin inside.

Can I fix this by restoring some state of /system and can I achieve this by copying files from my PC to the tablet? If so, how do I best go about this?

Thank you!

I have had the same problems with the Tradingshenzen instructions, TWRP never worked, after trying it multiple times, I finally got it installed.

The best I could get with that Google apps installation was error 963. After deleting my google account and cache (as mentioned everywhere) I then got that other strange error (can't remember).

What is also not helping is the fact that sometimes, you need TWRP to install a ROM, then you need the installer provided in the Miui OS and then other builds require to do a fastboot installation. It seems as if the community is so divided between all these different methods of flashing the device, nothing gets actually fixed and nothing is working properly. Not good in my opinion and all the very informative instructions how to fix an error 963, they did not help me a single bit.

So, StardustOne, you're suggesting there are many other ways to install a build? Can you, or someone else, hint me to another method and build that worked for her/him? Cause maybe, it's just TWRP and I can flash anther build somehow and get the tablet back to live? It's a really nice device and I am not too excited about the tought of having ruined it... ;)

Thanks! :)