TWRP / Orangefox recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse)

Well, that means that the L3 level was not caused by overwriting the Persist partition, but it's probably a matter of ROM itself.
DRM Info on RN9Pro with replaced Persist.img shows the same things as on my second phone, Mi Max3, where I didn't overwrite Persist.img.
Note 9 Pro users in this thread who replaced the persist.img have L3.
Note 9 users in this thread who didn't replace persist.img still have L1.
I'm still on 11.0.4 with L1, but there's at least one user here on 11.0.5 with L1, (and he didn't replace persist.img).

You should probably remove those steps from your guide, at least until it can be proved to be safe.

Note 9 Pro users in this thread who replaced the persist.img have L3.
Note 9 users in this thread who didn't replace persist.img still have L1.
I'm still on 11.0.4 with L1, but there's at least one user here on 11.0.5 with L1, (and he didn't replace persist.img).

You should probably remove those steps from your guide, at least until it can be proved to be safe.
I have advice on rewriting the Persist partition from the author of ROM. I installed ROM 10.0.5.0 directly via TWRP. I have never installed fastboot version 10.0.4.0 since it was canceled by the authors. On ROM 10.0.5, the status does not change from L3 to L1 even after the original Persist partition is returned - I tried it. Recovery version ROM 10.0.4 does not exist. So, I added a warning to the first post.

When I have time sometimes, I will try to install Global ROM, via Flashtool and try the whole process of installing TWRP + ROM 10.0.5 from the first post. I wonder if L1 will be preserved.

Last edited:
I assume that L3 is caused directly by ROM 11.0.5, so it does not make sense to remove those steps, that I have from the author of ROM.
I installed ROM 10.0.5.0 directly via TWRP. I have never installed fastboot version 10.0.4.0 since it was canceled by the authors.
On ROM 10.0.5, the status does not change from L3 to L1 even after the original Persist partition is returned - I tried it.
Recovery version ROM 10.0.4 does not exist.
11.0.4 fastboot is still available.
11.0.5 fastboot build was pulled because it caused a bootloop for those upgrading from 11.0.4.

You can leave your guide intact but anyone who replaced their persist.img will lose L1 Widevine.

And one more thing....

The reason your MM3, (and my MM2), are at Widevine L3 is because they were never certified for L1.
The Note 9 Pro is certified for L1 though, and anyone who follows your guide will lose it.

Reactions: Yemble and LeX1991
I am indeed on TWRP with 11.0.5 and widevine on L1 as I mentioned several times. And can be seen on the last 2 screens.
That's why I posted my steps here to help the guys keeping L1 BEFORE Going to L3.
There would be no reason to post another method which is a bit more complicated than flashing just 1 file if the outcome would be the same.

As I have written before somewhere there could be the possibility that while flashing the original Rom with miflash Tool and locking the bootloader again that widevine will go back to L1. That will indeed probably lead to another unlocking process of 7 days. Still there is no 100% guarantee on this. As im Sure no one tried it with the rn9pro before. As I am using Netflix and other streaming platforms regularely im happy I found out about L3 before flashing persist.img and could make out another way.

Reactions: Yemble and sir_bazz
11.0.4 fastboot is still available.
11.0.5 fastboot build was pulled because it caused a bootloop for those upgrading from 11.0.4.

You can leave your guide intact but anyone who replaced their persist.img will lose L1 Widevine.

And one more thing....

The reason your MM3, (and my MM2), are at Widevine L3 is because they were never certified for L1.
The Note 9 Pro is certified for L1 though, and anyone who follows your guide will lose it.
As I wrote, I put a warning in the first post. And I changed the order also.

Last edited:
In the first post I added a multilingual version of TWRP from Cuvetto. Thanks for creating. Install as IMG into the recovery partition from TWRP.

Reactions: kastell
It will show L1 instead of L3 if the certificates are intact.

Is this from Global ROM? Which version?

Last edited:
Reactions: kastell
Sure would be a pleasure if I could help with it.
Thanks, but I was confused why there is a .win file type?
You uploaded a file: persist_image.emmc .win
I was expecting a Persist.img file

The file size matches, so I just renamed the extension. The result is the same, I still have L3.

Last edited:
Thanks, but i'm confused why there is a .win file type?
You uploaded a file: persist_image.emmc .win
It should be Persist.img -> I need a TWRP backup of Persist partition please.
The file size matches, so now I don't know if I can rename the extension.
That's the file TWRP gave me after backing up the partition. I'll restart to TWRP and check again.

Still the same. Im Sure TWRP can handle it's own created files. As you should not use "install" but the "restore" Button and choose the file then.

Normal behaviour. Check out

You can use it as it is, or rename it. Shouldnt be a Problem.

Last edited:
That's the file TWRP gave me after backing up the partition. I'll restart to TWRP and check again.

Still the same. Im Sure TWRP can handle it's own created files. As you should not use "install" but the "restore" Button and choose the file then.
That's interesting, TWRP produces .IMG files for me.
The files size matches (my Persist.img with your file), so I just renamed the extension. The result is the same, I still have L3.

Probably just installing the global ROM with MiFlash will help. I don't want to do it now.. The L1 level requires Netflix and Amazon Prime only, even with 4K video.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Tried flashing Global, still L3. So even flashing the original ROM being EEA or Global doesn't restore Widevine, at least for me.
I also tried to install recovery global ROM from TWRP and it doesn't help -> still L3 level.

Someone could try to install the Fastboot version. The Persist.img file is located only in fastboot ROM install file. It is not in the recovery version.
I don't have time for that at the moment.

because i see before someone had successfully updated from V11.0.4.0 (EU fastboot) to V11.0.5.0
for me not wok
Yes I did. However, I made sure that TWRP was prompting me for my PIN and decrypting the file system correctly BEFORE flashing the ROM.

I am guessing that you missed the vital "reboot back into TWRP" step?

Last edited:
I followed the instructions and flashed the persist partition only for me to loose L1.
Very sad situation to be in.
So far are there any walkarounds to fixing that?
Will EDL flash work?

Reactions: SISPANAGHS
I followed the instructions and flashed the persist partition only for me to loose L1.
Very sad situation to be in.
So far are there any walkarounds to fixing that?
Will EDL flash work?
As of today, there is no fix.

Hate to say this but if you have read the whole thread then you would've known that flashing persist.img would result in losing Widevine L1.

And as an aside, I'm currently running 11.0.05, flashed via PBRB and have certified safety net without root.
Seems something has changed which allows this ROM to be certified without any mods or hacks.

• Love
Reactions: LOLO9393
I just installed xiaomi.eu 11.0.05 and setup the fon. After installation was done i was offered under update version 11.0.05 again. Should I download it on the fon and update again ?