TWRP / Orangefox recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse)

Hi guys, My device is Redmi Note 9 Pro QJZMIXM (Joyeuse) which I have officially unlocked and installed xiaomi.eu V11.0.4.0.QJZMIXM (stable) without TWRP.

I have 3 questions regarding the unofficial TWRP installation and I would appreciate your help.

1st Question:

Do I need to wipe format data to decrypt the device even though I have already installed xiaomi.eu rom ?

2nd Question:

As I can see at the moment there are 2 unofficial versions.
TWRP 3.4.0-14 by mauronofrio / LR.TWRP 3.4.1B 0530 by russian

Which one of those 2 is considered more stable with less bugs ?

3rd Question:

On the 1st post installation instructions for TWRP 3.4.0-14 by mauronofrio the installation procedure is for devices that already has TWRP.
Are there any instructions to directly install TWRP 3.4.0-14 by mauronofrio for the first time without any pre-existing TWRP already installed ?

In order to avoid any mistakes do you suggest to install first the russian version and then follow the instructions for upgrading to mauronofrio's TWRP ?

1. Question is, do you have decrypted Data partition?

2. Both, TWRP (Maurunofrio) and LR.TWRP (from Russian pages) are good.

3. It is possible to install TWRP directly, but instructions are in Czech language, see 1st post. Look for this text:

"instructions in czech language (use Google translator) -> you have to log in there to see pictures"

Its easier for you install LR.TWTP by automatic installer and then from it install TWRP.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if I have decrypted partition so I plan to follow the steps in the 1st post exactly to avoid any problems.
I will install russian version first as you suggest prior updating to Maurunofrio's TWRP.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't know if I have decrypted partition so I plan to follow the steps in the 1st post exactly to avoid any problems.
I will install russian version first as you suggest prior updating to Maurunofrio's TWRP.
Follow the instructions carefully and you will succeed.

Hi, I am writing to give feedback about my progress.
I had a success in installing the russian TWRP and afterwards installing the Maurunofrio's TWRP.
I formatted data as per instructions to decrypt the partition.
I successfully installed MIUI 12.1 stable.
One thing that didn't go as expected though was that I couldn't copy the rom file from pc to internal rom.
The transfer was failing and I had to use an external SD card to transfer the rom.

I also successfully installed module MagiskHide Props Config v5.3.6 as per LeX1991's instructions.

Regarding Adaway installation, I would like to share my experience as it might help others.
Adaway was failing to update the hosts files for some reason giving an "Adaway remount failed" message.
The problem was solved by enabling "Systemless host" on Magisk's Settings menu and rebooting phone prior attempting to update hosts again through Adaway.

Many thanks to rbarat and LeX1991 !

Hi, I am writing to give feedback about my progress.
I had a success in installing the russian TWRP and afterwards installing the Maurunofrio's TWRP.
I formatted data as per instructions to decrypt the partition.
I successfully installed MIUI 12.1 stable.
One thing that didn't go as expected though was that I couldn't copy the rom file from pc to internal rom.
The transfer was failing and I had to use an external SD card to transfer the rom.

I also successfully installed module MagiskHide Props Config v5.3.6 as per LeX1991's instructions.

Regarding Adaway installation, I would like to share my experience as it might help others.
Adaway was failing to update the hosts files for some reason giving an "Adaway remount failed" message.
The problem was solved by enabling "Systemless host" on Magisk's Settings menu and rebooting phone prior attempting to update hosts again through Adaway.

Many thanks to rbarat and LeX1991 !
Thanks for your nice participation!
About Adaway or HOSTS file modification you should use adguard dns. I switched to it and seems to perfectly work.
No more need to root.

Thanks for your nice participation!
About Adaway or HOSTS file modification you should use adguard dns. I switched to it and seems to perfectly work.
No more need to root.

Hi ! When I first got the phone I tried Adguard DNS but for some reason it couldn't block the ads inside apps. Then I tried a similar app called DNS66 which worked perfectly fine on my device all this time prior rooting.

GOOD DAY!! II HAVE SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED TWRP AND SUCCESSFULLY FLASH XIAOMI.EU V12. ALL I CAN I SAY IS I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT!! THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUUUUUUUUUCHH!

Can someone please explain to me why i don't have "sytem" on wipe page?
I need to wipe the system to install MiuiMix but no matter if i mount it or not, it isn't there.
Tried both twrp's.

I need to wipe the system to install MiuiMix but no matter if i mount it or not, it isn't there.
Tried both twrp's.
That's a good reason, because you shouldn't wipe system! Never.
But you are your boss.

Reactions: RootFreak
Tried both twrp's.
On Android 10 phones, it's new superpartition, hence no more system wiping possible as it was on older phones during flashing new ROM. This is what I gathered, correct me if I'm wrong.

So I've been having some difficulties with this method. I don't use the EU phone, I use the global phone (joyeuse). I followed all the instructions exactly and for what it's worth, it works. However, it flashes my phone with the eu package and I don't want to use that version. I bricked my phone a dozen times trying to put it back on the global version. Today I finally figured it out. We DO NOT have to use Curtana.

FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO GO BACK TO GLOBAL ROM (JOYEUSE)

Prerequisites:

Download both the ota update and the stock rom from link below.
Be prepared to brick your phone a time or two.

After following all original instructions and finding yourself wanting to ditch Curtana:

Step 1. Reboot into fastboot and flash stock recovery from downloaded and extracted stock rom.
Step 2. Reboot into recovery to confirm that it is now working.
Step 3. Reboot back into fastboot and install TWRP like before. (DO NOT PROCEED TO ABOVE STEP 12)
Step 4. Reboot into TWRP recovery, wipe data, and install miui_JOYEUSEGlobal_V12.0.1.0.QJZMIXM_c98b027c0f_10.0.zip instead. THIS WILL CAUSE A BRICK. LET IT. (I discovered that the only thing bricked was the recovery, the rest of the system is fine.)
Step 5. Reboot into fastboot and run BOTH twrp installers back to back. Reboot into recovery to confirm that it works. Flash magisk while you're in there and wipe dalvik/cache.
Step 6. Reboot phone and enjoy! You now have original stock global rom, latest version, magisk root, and TWRP recovery.

Note: If magisk is not passing safety net tests make sure to enable magisk hide, hide from google play services, and follow termux instructions mentioned in original steps.

Download links

For stock rom: https://xiaomifirmwareupdater.com/miui/joyeuse/stable/V12.0.1.0.QJZMIXM/ (download both packages).

I followed all the instructions exactly and for what it's worth, it works. However, it flashes my phone with the eu package and I don't want to use that version.
I don't know how you managed to do that since the op link points to the global version QJZMIXM and not the EU version QJZEUXM
FWIW i have an EU (JOYEUSE) note 9 pro with original firmware 11.0.4 QJZEUXM and updated to 12.0.1 QJZMIXM following the step by step guide from the first post and everything F*rocks!!

I don't know how you managed to do that since the op link points to the global version QJZMIXM and not the EU version QJZEUXM
FWIW i have an EU (JOYEUSE) note 9 pro with original firmware 11.0.4 QJZEUXM and updated to 12.0.1 QJZMIXM following the step by step guide from the first post and everything F*rocks!!

I'm not sure but when I click on the link in the op I get the EU version. This is what it currently points to: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xi...e9ProEU_V12.0.1.0.QJZMIXM_v12-10.zip/download.

I noticed a lot of odd differences when I finished originally and when I went in to my about device menu as well as on Termux I noticed that it was indeed the EU version. Didn't really care for it in all honesty. It felt like I was using an LG phone.

I've been running stock with each update as it comes out and magisk. Figured it was time to look into TWRP again and see if there was anything yet. Couldn't be happier!

Mein Mobil Redmi Note 9S Curtana.
Jetzt habe ich das Problem, dass ich bereits mit der mitgelieferten ROM-Version (heute miui 12.02), wenn ich TWRP mit dem Xiaomitoolv2 installieren, habe ich kein "System" in "wischen / vorwärts".
"System" kann also nicht peitschen!
Das Handy ist jedoch korrekt entsperrt.
TWRP startet auch richtig!

Was könnte das sein? Ich finde nirgendwo einen Hinweis darauf.
Es wäre schön, eine Antwort zu bekommen.

Redmi Note 9 Pro JOYEUSE
I recently installed TWRP-3.4.1B-0530-joyeuse-fix.
Then I installed twrp-3.4.0-14-curtana-unified-mauronofrio.img.
After rebooting from twrp to twrp, the red line is displayed in twrp.
See the photo under the spoiler.
Is this a bug or can I ignore it?

Last edited:
Redmi Note 9 Pro JOYEUSE

Just use orange fox twrp, its beta, but its very stable, everythingh works just fine.

Redmi Note 9 Pro JOYEUSE
It doesn't happen to me. Did you install it correctly? Did you format the Data?