TWRP / Orangefox recovery for Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse)

Edited first post:
- added new custom TWRP 3.5
- added link to Mauronofrio's XDA installation instructions page
- added link to Orangefox recovery

Last edited:
I've had a similar question a while ago but I didn't receive an answer, so, I'm taking them all besides the super partitions, somebody with knowledge should tell us please
edit: maybe this helps:

Last edited:
Reactions: EU_User
What does a backup item named as super include?
This is TWRP-3.4.1B-0530-joyeuse-fix.zip (From instructions in the 1st post)

Last edited:
What does a backup item named as super include?
This is TWRP-3.4.1B-0530-joyeuse-fix.zip (From instructions in the 1st post)

Super is a new partition introduced in Android 10. It enables Dynamic Partitons. The ROM specifies which partitions live within super (dynamic_partitions_op_list). For this ROM it's System/Product/Vendor.

This is also the cause of failure when trying to modify the /system partition. The correct method now is to use adb remount which creates a overlay fillesystem. I've not actually tried this though.

Reactions: EU_User
Hence, Super does not include Data.
How and in what cases can super be used for backup and restore?
A backup of the Data is also necessary, right?

to my understanding, data is the most important if not the only important partition
for backup purposes

Why is it indicated to back up EFS every time (instructions in the 1st post)?
In fact, EFS does not change.
Maybe we need to back up EFS once?
Someone recommended backing up this way. I'm doing it and you really just need to back up this.
It's just a recommendation, back up as you wish.

What, if anything, do we know about this new TWRP 3.5 ?

What advantages does it have over LR-TWRP 3.4.1b, if any, and is it worth upgrading to?
I don't know anything, I haven't tried it yet. If anybody will try it, let us know. TWRP 3.5 is required for Android 11.

Last edited:
So, instructions from LeX1991 for the safetynet fix with MagiskHide Props Config is no more valid since mid January.

More info in the quote below

Force BASIC key attestation said:
Google now enforces the use of hardware backed key attestation on devices that has the necessary hardware (all devices that shipped with Android 8+ and even some older devices). Up until mid January 2021 you could work around this by changing the model props to something other than the actual device. No more...
There is a fix though. @kdrag0n over on XDA Developers have a Magsk module that will trick keystore into thinking that the hardware isn't available and this will then force basic attestation. You can find that module together with details on how it works here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/magisk-module-universal-safetynet-fix-1-1-0.4217823/

The new universal safetynet fix module can be found here.
Download latest version --> go to magisk module tab --> uninstall magisk hide props conf --> install new universal fix --> restart --> enjoy
I don't use payments so i cant confirm if they work but safetynet report success again.

Still working here with the Props Config module, but we're not using it to change the model props.

Good to know there's an alternative if Props Config ever fails.

Mine stopped working after magisk manager update.(i guess)
Not sure if that was the reason or something else tho, but that was the only change i did when safetynet failed for first time!
FWIW as of today i'm on latest magisk, magisk manager and latest universal safetynet fix.
Someone with more knowledge on the matter may share some light.

Reactions: sir_bazz
I've just installed for the first time Xiaomi.eu with Magisk and safety net didn't passed. Kinda odd because the same procedure worked on my 8T few days ago. Also Magisk biluildprops method didn't worked. The third solution with universal safetynet fix worked and saved my Gpay payments.

Reactions: RootFreak
Mine stopped working after magisk manager update.(i guess)
Not sure if that was the reason or something else tho, but that was the only change i did when safetynet failed for first time!
FWIW as of today i'm on latest magisk, magisk manager and latest universal safetynet fix.
Someone with more knowledge on the matter may share some light.
No light needed. :)

Just rechecked Magisk, and sure enough, the safety net test failed!

So thanks for sharing the solution.

So, instructions from LeX1991 for the safetynet fix with MagiskHide Props Config is no more valid since mid January.

Download latest version --> go to magisk module tab --> uninstall magisk hide props conf --> install new universal fix --> restart --> enjoy
I don't use payments so i cant confirm if they work but safetynet report success again.
Thanks this was the fix i used after installing latest magisk, thank God its no more fingerprints config sh*t, my mi account can now recongnize my device as Redmi Note 9Pro instead of joyuse then... thanks bro.

This is not true. For me version 5.4.0 still works very well. I am using version 5.4.0 everyday.
It can be found directly in Magisk manager apk under name MagiskHide Props Config v5.4.0-v114 od Didgeridoohan.

But, I added link to version
safetynet-fix-v1.1.1.zip to 1st post also.

to first post

Last edited:
please convince me why i should install twrp/orangefox on my joyeuse... me personally still not sure whether i should install mod recovery or not, due to beta/unofficial twrp/orangefox. but all my previous xiaomi phone using xiaomi.eu rom (orangefox installed). but only this time i feel unsure on my joyeuse.

also some problems/bugs that i'll face along the way. thx in advance :D

What, if anything, do we know about this new TWRP 3.5 ?

What advantages does it have over LR-TWRP 3.4.1b, if any, and is it worth upgrading to?

I'm using it without issue, was previously using orangefox and that never gave me trouble either but I only really used it to update the ROM. I think some twrp versions couldn't decrypt (mount?) internal storage - that works fine. twrp 3.5 supports decryption with multiple users and fastbootd was present (didnt test it though). Vibration works. You can check TeamWins Announcement but I can't find any changelogs for dungphps builds

I don't know if I understand correctly but the new twrp_3.5.0 is able to modify the dynamic partitions in android 10?
I ask because I would like to change the icons of xiaomi.eu without having to root
for the moment on my joyeuse I use "pitch recovery black" without problems with xiaomi.eu 12.0.2

I don't know if I understand correctly but the new twrp_3.5.0 is able to modify the dynamic partitions in android 10?
I ask because I would like to change the icons of xiaomi.eu without having to root
for the moment on my joyeuse I use "pitch recovery black" without problems with xiaomi.eu 12.0.2

I'm still pretty hazy on all the changes android 10 brought but my understanding is that fastboot cannot see the sub-partitions and can only work on /super as a whole. I'm unsure if recovery gets any further along the boot process to be able make sense of things or if it's in the same boat?

Enter fastbootd, fastboot that runs from userspace. Dungphps builds are the first I've seen to have a button for it, and the relevant commit comment at TeamWins github says "... It allows writing single partitions to the super
partition via fastboot CLI..."

Wanted to chime in and say I booted the 'TWRP 3.5 for Joyeuse build by dungphp' from the 'fastboot boot' command and worked great.

So if you don't want to install permanently or to test if its working and future versions or to try different recoveries without actually flashing one.
You can run twrp through fastboot without flashing it, keeping the stock miui or whatever recovery you have installed.
This is my prefered method.

Follow this step in 'platform-tools' if you don't know commands the // are my comments.
Code:
// check if the device is connected
adb devices

// reboots to fastboot as fastbootd can't remotely boot recoveries
adb reboot bootloader

// boots twrp temporary without flashing 'NON DESTRUCTIVE' where the file is recovery.img in the folder
fastboot boot recovery.img

// actually flash twrp 'WHICH WILL OVERWRITE THE INSTALLED RECOVERY' if you need to
fastboot flash recovery.img

This way its non destructive and anything that has a issue you can just reboot as this only loads twrp without it actually being flashed to the phone.
You can test various twrp versions this way without risking your device.

Remember you can always remotely boot TWRP from a PC or Laptop to make backups and to restore the installed system whenever needed, as you do not need to install twrp at all.

@rbarat can you put a note in your first post for this to encourage people to load via the boot command first as a test before actually flashing and risking their recoveries.
As there are a lot of people that don't fully understand things as you can see by the above posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yemble and nirjon