(uk) Newbie Redmi Note 3 Kate Version Advice Needed Please

cardinal16

Members
Jan 24, 2017
Hi, i've recently purchased a REDMI NOTE 3 INTERNATIONAL/SPECIAL EDITION KATE (global ROM) version phone and needed some advice on how best to set this phone up so it works in the UK please.

I have not received the phone yet and im awaiting delivery, but i wanted to know how to set this phone up once it arrives. Will this phone work right out of the box for me or will i need to do anything to the settings?

I've been doing some research and i know some people FLASH the ROM but i really did not want to do this....but im unsure if i HAVE to?

I've also been reading that i can't select UK as a country once the phone arrives, so which country and language should i select?

Is there anything else i need to be aware of once i first turn it on to get it to work in the UK? Im on the VIRGIN network.

I have never purchased a phone from china before so im a little lost on what to do once i get it. All help and advice will be really appreciated! :)

Thanks

Hi, i've recently purchased a REDMI NOTE 3 INTERNATIONAL/SPECIAL EDITION KATE (global ROM) version phone and needed some advice on how best to set this phone up so it works in the UK please.

I have not received the phone yet and im awaiting delivery, but i wanted to know how to set this phone up once it arrives. Will this phone work right out of the box for me or will i need to do anything to the settings?

I've been doing some research and i know some people FLASH the ROM but i really did not want to do this....but im unsure if i HAVE to?

I've also been reading that i can't select UK as a country once the phone arrives, so which country and language should i select?

Is there anything else i need to be aware of once i first turn it on to get it to work in the UK? Im on the VIRGIN network.

I have never purchased a phone from china before so im a little lost on what to do once i get it. All help and advice will be really appreciated! :)

Thanks
The first thing you should do if you were buying a phone from China is to make sure it works in your country and for the mobile operator you are on. Here is a site for that: http://willmyphonework.net/

Second, you never know if the vendor is putting their own customized version of the rom inside the phone so you should at least do a factory reset and reset internal storage too when you get the phone to make sure it is empty.
Best thing to do is to flash the phones official rom first to get rid of the vendor things if there are any.

Third, you probably don't have to do anything. Vendor might have not done anything to the phone so it will come as it were from the factory so you can start enjoying it from the start.

Xiaomi.eu rom has UK in language but I do not know about the Official Global Version.

The first thing you should do if you were buying a phone from China is to make sure it works in your country and for the mobile operator you are on. Here is a site for that:

Second, you never know if the vendor is putting their own customized version of the rom inside the phone so you should at least do a factory reset and reset internal storage too when you get the phone to make sure it is empty.
Best thing to do is to flash the phones official rom first to get rid of the vendor things if there are any.

Third, you probably don't have to do anything. Vendor might have not done anything to the phone so it will come as it were from the factory so you can start enjoying it from the start.

Xiaomi.eu rom has UK in language but I do not know about the Official Global Version.

Thanks Dogiex

Yes i checked the willmyphonework.net before i bought it and it says it will work here in the UK, i was just wondering if i still had to do anything with the settings on the phone once i turn it on for the first time.

I brought the phone from a very well respected and trusted member on aliexpress who comes highly recommended so i'm pretty sure it will come with the GLOBAL ROM and not an unofficial VENDOR ROM (which i heard can contain malware/spyware pre-installed)

I've read that i can check the version number and it should have 4 digits after it BUT if it has 5 it could be a VENDOR ROM, is that correct?

Also if all is ok and the ROM is safe will i have to do anything else, will google play be installed, will i be able to just select English language and UK as my country and start using google play to download my apps?

Thanks

Thanks Dogiex

I've read that i can check the version number and it should have 4 digits after it BUT if it has 5 it could be a VENDOR ROM, is that correct?
That is correct and one way of knowing it.
More info about that is found here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/index

Also if all is ok and the ROM is safe will i have to do anything else, will google play be installed, will i be able to just select English language and UK as my country and start using google play to download my apps?
The phone should come with Global version of the rom so it will have Google Play Services integrated.
And UK should be on the list of languages, yes! :)

Reactions: cardinal16
That is correct and one way of knowing it.
More info about that is found here:

The phone should come with Global version of the rom so it will have Google Play Services integrated.
And UK should be on the list of languages, yes! :)

Thanks

Will UK be on the time zone is what i was meant to ask? I've read that i have to select India or even Finland (i think it was...)

No there is no Finland!!! I used greece :D but im not sure if there is or not...

EDIT: there might be because in time zones there were Helsinki. Just a sec i will check

Reactions: cardinal16
No there is no Finland!!! I used greece :D but im not sure if there is or not...

EDIT: there might be because in time zones there were Helsinki. Just a sec i will check

Actually sorry i meant "Falklands locale" that's what somebody else said i should choose?

Reactions: Tppap