Unable to connect Mi 10 to pc via usb

Daoxiao

Members
Aug 27, 2020
Probably a newbie question, but this is my first Mi phone, so bear with me.
When connecting my Mi 10 to a laptop via a usb cable, the phone charges, but for some reason, I don't get the standard Android usb-connection notification (File Transfer, PTP, etc.)
I've tried this with a few different usb cables, including the one that came with the Mi 10. All work with other phones, but none with the Mi 10. IOW, I'm unable to connect my Mi 10 to the laptop.

Have I missed some setting (perhaps deeply hidden in MIUI's odd system menu), or am I missing something else?

Your help is thoroughly appreciated!

Mi 10 (EU/Global version), with MIUI 12.0.1 installed

Hi Daoxiao,
there are two possibilities. Did you install the USB-Drivers and could it be that you disabled the USB Notification ?
  • USB-Drivers can be downladed here and if you need the ADB / Fastboot Tools download it here
  • If you have installed the drivers already, switch on the USB-Notification
    • Settings -> Apps -> Manage apps -> Android System -> Notifications (scroll down) -> USB connection
    • * Toggle on "Show notifications"
    • * Set "Importance" to "Minimal
Regards Kater

Hi Kater,

Thanks a million for your quick reply, and the links to the necessary tools!

I haven't downloaded the USB drivers yet, guess I'm just too used to Windows recognising Android phones right away. Will get to it asap, and try it tomorrow. I'll be needing adb and fastboot as well, certainly to debloat the phone, and flash a custom rom if/when a decent one is available.

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Best regards,

Daoxiao

Have you tried settings- additional settings- developer option and change default USB configuration

Still no dice, I'm afraid. I've the default usb config set to data transfer, but when connecting to a pc the phone still doesn't appear as external memory or a device.

I really can't figure this out.

Yes, I've tried all three usb ports on my laptop. Mind you, connecting to my other phone (Moto G8 Plus) was a breeze, and worked from day one. IOW, I don't get why this doesn't work equally well with the Mi 10.

Sometimes it happens to me but I just unplug the usb cable and plug in back in and it works what about in twrp? If you have twrp installed?

Haven't installed twrp yet, I'll get to that tomorrow. Maybe that helps, will see.

That will not help directly. Did you installed the usb driver? I have a Mi10 as well and it is working like a charme.

Please write in detail what you did, otherwise we cant help you.

Ok, I got back into the settings, changed a few things, and it looks like I finally have things working. The connection notification pops up, the phone's connecting,
and I'm finally able to transfer files between laptop and the Mi 10.
Next up, twrp for back ups, and adb to debloat the damn thing.

Thanks @katerpanne and @Ravester for helping me get this to work!

Reactions: katerpanne
Ok, I got back into the settings, changed a few things, and it looks like I finally have things working. The connection notification pops up, the phone's connecting,

Hi I have the same issue, can you please tell me how did you fix the problem?

I have the same issue as well, could you tell me what have you done to fix it?

Please write in detail what you did, otherwise we cant help you
I connected my mi 10 to the pc with a working usb cable, the phone then shows the prompt to choose if charge only or share data, I choose share data, but when I open the file explorer (windows) my phone is not between the various data drives so I can't access its data. In device managere the phone is recognized by the computer as device MTP USB, I have usb debugging and OEM unlock activated and I had installed its own usb drivers and also adb (since I'm trying to unlock its bootloader). If it can be of help, on its device tab from device manager, in the event section says that the device USB\VID_2717&PID_FF48&MI_00\7&37484767&0&0000 requires another installation, don't know what it means though

pls I really need help I can't find the solution anywhere else

If you ever read this, no matter how late pls tell me