Unbrick Redmi 4 Pro/prime With Only Fastboot?

cogli0ne

Members
Dec 20, 2016
Hi!

I received my redmi 4 prime yesterday and it was running a vendor rom, it said global but i know there is no global rom for this one yet.
I wanted to remove that rom so i tried to switch to latest china dev , but it would not let me.

I tried the unlocking tool that i downloaded, i already ordered unlocking permissions like a month ago, but the unlocking tool would not verify my phone after 50% each time.

I then tried to unlock the bootloader with fastboot oem unlock-go and it worked. I managed to flash cofface_twrp_recovery_markw_1121 and boot it.
There i flashed the latest EU rom ZIP and the latest supersu. Now when i try to turn on the phone the MI logo just flashes and the phone turns off.

I can only boot in in fastboot mode now, and the computer recognizes it but it seems that the bootloader is relocked and it will not let me unlock it.
The message says token verification failed, reboot the device, and the phone reboots.

I cannot enter edl mode or recovery mode, only fastboot mode. The guides i've seen on youtube all contains the step of going into either recovery or edl which i can't...

Any help?

First of all read this thread to know why you bricked your phone.

Then, read this and follow video tutorial. Hope it helps.

Thank you, now i know why it is bricked.
I've tried the method in the video and cannot enter recovery mode by that method, the only thing i see is a flashing mi logo before the phone turns off. I can only access fastboot mode.

You couldnt unlock your bootloader because bootloader can only be officially unlocked form the China Dev ROM. Not from vendor roms. The correct procedure would have been to flash China Dev Rom from EDL mode and MiflashBeta and then from there unlock the bootloader and install TWRP and whatever you want

You couldnt unlock your bootloader because bootloader can only be officially unlocked form the China Dev ROM. Not from vendor roms. The correct procedure would have been to flash China Dev Rom from EDL mode and MiflashBeta and then from there unlock the bootloader and install TWRP and whatever you want

Yeah, i know that by now. You think there's any chance on saving this phone?

Qualcomm phones are unbrickable to the point of no return. What you have to do now is get a deepflash cable. Search on youtube a video on how to do it and use it, there are plenty of nice tutorials on how to use them.

Qualcomm phones are unbrickable to the point of no return. What you have to do now is get a deepflash cable. Search on youtube a video on how to do it and use it, there are plenty of nice tutorials on how to use them.
Thanks. I'll try,
Do i have to open the phone and remove the battery?

Should i make a deep flash cable myself or buy one? I dont have soldering tools.

It's easy, follow that :
I also installed unofficial global and ended up with "bricked phone" left only with fastboot or black screen (qualcomm diagnostics interface 9000E) and couldn't turn off the phone.

I made deep flashing cable - usb cable where you can short GND and D+
maxresdefault.jpg

Also you could use a small wire to ground D+ in usb socket, wire can be removed with pliers.
Like in that video you just tryed:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Disable windows driver signature verifycation, get MiFlash and install it, so you get all the needed drivers.
Connect phone to the computer (don't short the cables yet), use "fastboot reboot" to restart phone.
Quickly short GND and D+ for a few seconds, then windows installs HS-USB QDloader 9008 driver
and you can use Mi Flash to restore the phone, this time to the china developer rom
(fastboot version ends with .tgz) with clean all and locked options.

read more here

Last edited:
It's easy, follow that :
I also installed unofficial global and ended up with "bricked phone" left only with fastboot or black screen (qualcomm diagnostics interface 9000E) and couldn't turn off the phone.

I made deep flashing cable - usb cable where you can short GND and D+
http://xiaomitips.com/media/2016/08/...re-680x318.jpg

Disable windows driver signature verifycation, get MiFlash and install it, so you get all the needed drivers.

Connect phone to the computer (don't short the cables yet), use "fastboot reboot" to restart phone.
Quickly short GND and D+ for a few seconds, then windows installs HS-USB QDloader 9008 driver
and you can use Mi Flash to restore the phone, this time to the china developer rom
(fastboot version ends with .tgz) with clean all and locked options.

read more here

Thank you for your reply. I haven't seen the words qualcomm diagnostics interface 9000E anywhere on the phone or my pc, i've only seen people on the forums mention it. What exactly is it?

The link you posted to the image is broken, parts of the link are missing and it has "..." in it instead.

Could you recommend a simple tutorial for building a deep flash cable? I would prefer if i didn't have to solder or put switches on there, it looks complicated.

Cut away a bit of D+ shielding and in my case GND didn't have shielding at all.
Tape other wires out of the way.
Now you can press two wires (D+, GND) together and when you remove the pressure they push themselves apart.

Cut away a bit of D+ shielding and in my case GND didn't have shielding at all.
Tape other wires out of the way.
Now you can press two wires (D+, GND) together and when you remove the pressure they push themselves apart.

Interesting. Sounds pretty simple. How do i know which ones are D+ and GND?

The other method where i ground the second terminal from the left seems simple as well. I don't have any copper wire however. Tried it with kanthal wire but it didn't seem to work.

Read this thread: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/flashing-6-11-10-mi-max-pro-cause-a-black-screen.36089/

It happened to me with my Mi Max because I wasn't unlocked (as are you). I was on Xiaomi.eu rom, so I actually didn't have any problem starting the Mi Unlock Utility and unlock with it (it's a china dev rom after all). I would try my guide, installing pdanet drivers, installing Mi Flash beta and the latest Mi Unlock Utility in Chinese.
I assume you have unlocking permissions as of now, right?

Just tried with two home made deep flash cables.
My first one was a oneplus one cable, it stopped working when i stripped it.

The second one is from my asus nexus 7 (2012). I stripped white and green and if i combine them i can make the computer lose contact with the phone. No luck in the flashing tool though.

Deep flash cable is always good idea, but did you try to enter EDL mode from fastboot mode? http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/guide-reboot-to-edl-mode-fastboot-test-t3398718

Yup, tried to enter edl from fastboot with the one you linked, no luck.

Read this thread: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/flashing-6-11-10-mi-max-pro-cause-a-black-screen.36089/

It happened to me with my Mi Max because I wasn't unlocked (as are you). I was on Xiaomi.eu rom, so I actually didn't have any problem starting the Mi Unlock Utility and unlock with it (it's a china dev rom after all). I would try my guide, installing pdanet drivers, installing Mi Flash beta and the latest Mi Unlock Utility in Chinese.
I assume you have unlocking permissions as of now, right?

Interesting. Do you have any links for the mi flash beta and the latest Mi unlock utility in chinese?

I have unlocking permissions but the phone is not listed as one of my devices in the cloud service since i've never logged in on the phine,

Just tried with two home made deep flash cables.
My first one was a oneplus one cable, it stopped working when i stripped it.

The second one is from my asus nexus 7 (2012). I stripped white and green and if i combine them i can make the computer lose contact with the phone. No luck in the flashing tool though.

Yup, tried to enter edl from fastboot with the one you linked, no luck.

Interesting. Do you have any links for the mi flash beta and the latest Mi unlock utility in chinese?

I have unlocking permissions but the phone is not listed as one of my devices in the cloud service since i've never logged in on the phine,
Here are all links you need, as well as the comprehensive guide I did:
https://xiaomi.eu/community/index.php?threads/36883/

I don't know if it'll work though, since you're not logged into the phone.
I would try flashing a boot img from a weekly when it worked, but I don't know which one...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Here are all links you need, as well as the comprehensive guide I did:
https://xiaomi.eu/community/index.php?threads/36883/

I don't know if it'll work though, since you're not logged into the phone.
I would try flashing a boot img from a weekly when it worked, but I don't know which one...

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Thanks.
Didn't work though.

I don't know if i did something wrong with the cable but i still can't enter edl mode. It is listed as 900e when it is connected to my pc while off.

Thanks.
Didn't work though.

I don't know if i did something wrong with the cable but i still can't enter edl mode. It is listed as 900e when it is connected to my pc while off.

Did you try connecting the phone while off, and then, connecting it, pressing Vol up+ Vol down? That should be another way to enter Edl...

Did you try connecting the phone while off, and then, connecting it, pressing Vol up+ Vol down? That should be another way to enter Edl...

That didnt work either.
However, i went to the store and bought another usb-cable that i partially stripped.

Connected it to the phone and joined green and black wires, then i connected it to the computer directly after i had turned the phone off. I release the wires after 5s and the phone was visible in the flashing tool as COM4. I pressed flash and it worked!
My issue is now solved.

Reactions: fast83