Update with TWRP

mshc2021

Members
Feb 26, 2021
Hello. Last week I installed for the first time the weekly beta TWRP for my Mi 11 (21.6.16), now I want to update to the new weekly ROM. How is this done with TWRP? Do I need a computer for this process? Thanks.

Just download the update zip file on your phone and boot into recovery by holding Power and Vol+. Press install and select the file

Gesendet von meinem M2011K2C mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Mali2 and Poney70
Hello. Last week I installed for the first time the weekly beta TWRP for my Mi 11 (21.6.16), now I want to update to the new weekly ROM. How is this done with TWRP? Do I need a computer for this process? Thanks.
No not for zip install via OTA. It can done without a PC, but a PC is necessary for anyfastboot install,TWRP install and copying the rom to your storage on your phone as once you format the drive prior to first install, you will be unable to access the rom so it needs to be on your PC. Once you copy it to your formated storage, you can run TWRP and flash the rom.

Last edited:
After twrp flash update, make sure you wipe dalvik before rebooting to system. The option is the left hand box on twrp after the update flash. Wipe dalvik and reboot system. The first boot after update will take ages like as apps are updating and new dalvik cache is being written. As long as you see miui on screen, just wait.

Reactions: Jimnasium
Embarrassing question but when I try to update (by TWRP) from Stable 12.5.7 to 12.5.9 I end up not being able to find the file from TWRP-mode? I tried to move it to the "download folder" when phone is used but I can not find that folder either from TWPR mode.

I have been using TWPR previously on my Mi 10 Ultra and never had any problems finding the .zip-file.

Any hint regarding how to find it or what I'm doing wrong?

Embarrassing question but when I try to update (by TWRP) from Stable 12.5.7 to 12.5.9 I end up not being able to find the file from TWRP-mode? I tried to move it to the "download folder" when phone is used but I can not find that folder either from TWPR mode.

I have been using TWPR previously on my Mi 10 Ultra and never had any problems finding the .zip-file.

1. You click update using MIUI's Updater.
2. After downloading, enter Recovery mode by clicking on the MIUI Updater... (3 dot) and select Reboot to Recovery Mode.
3. The phone boots into TWRP, select install and navigate to the downloaded file. It is located in the root folder, not in the Download folder.

I would check the file is correct, check the check sum while in OS. If it's corrupted, I don't think twrp see's it ( may be). Sure I've had this before on an update.

Thanks, does it say anything more than "root"? When I enter Recoverymode and select install I can see one folder named "root" and one named "system_root", both looks empty when I browse them from withing the TWPR-mode. And yes, I did download the image first as you describe Hoangsang.

Mark F: I will try a check again. Strange thing is that I now have both the zip.file I mmovbed to downloaded and a freshly downloaded file that I have not moved that I expected to be able to find i Root but I can not find either of them within TWRP mode.

I using a browser in the phone I can in both folders see both the .zip file and the md5 file.

BR/Fredrik

@tusenkonstnar Hello! :)

Internal storage of your device = /data/media/0 (and /sdcard is a mirror of it but it may not be available in some TWRP)

Browse to " /data/media/0 " when you are in TWRP "Install" menu, you should find your files here. ;)

=> If you don't see your files/folders but only weird names:

1) Reboot to System

2) In phone's settings, remove your screen lock password/pin/pattern

3) Reboot to TWRP and browse to " /data/media/0 " , it should be ok now!

Thanks, does it say anything more than "root"? When I enter Recoverymode and select install I can see one folder named "root" and one named "system_root", both looks empty when I browse them from withing the TWPR-mode. And yes, I did download the image first as you describe Hoangsang.
root here needs to be understood as root directory :( or you can look in sdcard folder

Reactions: Poney70
@tusenkonstnar Hello! :)

Internal storage of your device = /data/media/0 (and /sdcard is a mirror of it but it may not be available in some TWRP)

Browse to " /data/media/0 " when you are in TWRP "Install" menu, you should find your files here. ;)

=> If you don't see your files/folders but only weird names:

1) Reboot to System

2) In phone's settings, remove your screen lock password/pin/pattern

3) Reboot to TWRP and browse to " /data/media/0 " , it should be ok now!
Thanks a lot, your input solved the problem. I would not have thought of the "remove your screen lock" root cause for my problem.

Reactions: Poney70