Upgrade From Stable 8.1.6.0 To Stable 9.1.3.0

ark0n3

Members
Jul 9, 2016
Hi guys
I'm a very satisfied user of MIUI 8 on my MI5. Got 8.1.6.0 running smoothly for the last year and a half. Any specific steps to upgrade to MIUI 9?

Do I need to upgrade to an intermediate rom/TWRP as in https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/7-11-16.42331/ or can I just update straight from the 8.1.6.0?
How to update MI5 to Android 7.0 from Android 6.0:
- Install LATEST Android 6.0 release for MI5 6.11.10
- Install TWRP 3.0.2.3 or ZCX
- Reboot to new TWRP
- Install Android 7.0 release
- Reboot - Never wipe /system partition manually!
- Done
- In case of any issues, make factory reset via system settings
- For ROOT on Android 7.0 install SuperSU 2.82 or Magisk

BTW if possible I would like to retain all my data.

thanks
nicola

Up
I run the 8.1.6.0 too and I'd like to go for MIUI 9 stable, do we still need to use the lastest android 6.0 rom (6.11.10) before upgrading to 7.0 ?
Or was it necessary only for the first android 7.0 that came out at the time ?

Thanks, Ben

Just upgraded from TWRP without any specific additional step, got MIUI9 running with no issue at all! Suggested, much snappier than MIUI8.

Reactions: 76luca
@ark0n3 a review after upgrade will be a real treat! I am also on 8.1.6.0 EU rom. From official to 8.1.6.0 gave me much trouble. Really happy with 8.1.6.0 but tempted to test 9.1.3.0. Share your feedback mate....

@ark0n3 a review after upgrade will be a real treat! I am also on 8.1.6.0 EU rom. From official to 8.1.6.0 gave me much trouble. Really happy with 8.1.6.0 but tempted to test 9.1.3.0. Share your feedback mate....
Nothing to report, much snappier and battery pretty much as before (maybe a little less).

@jimikid I have 9.1.3.0 running for a few days now. I upgraded from 8.1.6.0 through TWRP, with cache and dalvik wipe only, had 2 errors during the process, but it booted to 9.1.3.0 like normal.
Speaking of 7.0, it feels really fast, due to animations I guess. The battery life seems normal, at least as good as 8.1.6.0.
However the carroussel process keep crashing, don't know why, since I changed some backgroud settings. A clean reinstall should make it go away.
Whatsapp notification works now, that's a good point, I don't have any major issues regarding network, wifi or camera. GPS fix is a bit better.
There are some minor improvements here and there, about ergonomy and items/text placement.
Anyway I recommend the upgrade, hope you found this useful.

Thanks ark0n3 and TI00ps, So it was like (a) boot into TWRP (b) clear cache and Delvik (c) install from ZIP? No data wipe no fastboot mambo-jumbo? Now I am super tempted, Last time I flashed (official 8.1.2 to EU 8.1.6.0), I had a real bad experience, not sure what went wrong but I had to use old ASUS for three days and had to format my MI5.

Thanks ark0n3 and TI00ps, So it was like (a) boot into TWRP (b) clear cache and Delvik (c) install from ZIP? No data wipe no fastboot mambo-jumbo? Now I am super tempted, Last time I flashed (official 8.1.2 to EU 8.1.6.0), I had a real bad experience, not sure what went wrong but I had to use old ASUS for three days and had to format my MI5.

Yes, boot to recovery (TWRP), clear cache and dalvik, install from 9.1.3.0.zip, reboot.
If the wallpaper carousel come to loop crash, just clear its data in settings/apps/all (its unlikely that you need to do this, unless you start going deep into wallpaper settings and mess a bit)

Upgraded last night, The upgrade went really smooth except two <invalid command> errors. However QC seems to having some trouble. Will observe few more days before confirming. Thanks to all for support.

It's over an week since i am using 9.1.3 and i must admit, it was a good decision to upgrade. There is a tiny confusion about QC3 performance but it is bearable. Yesterday i got an OTA notification for 9.1.4. Anybody tried it yet?

It's over an week since i am using 9.1.3 and i must admit, it was a good decision to upgrade. There is a tiny confusion about QC3 performance but it is bearable. Yesterday i got an OTA notification for 9.1.4. Anybody tried it yet?
Yes, I did. and flashed from 9.1.3 to 9.1.4. No problems, worked like a charm with me.

Battery backup is pathetic in 9.1.4. totally disappointed. Any suggestion to improve battery life?

I want yo switch from Lineage OS (i have problem with network drop) to Xiaomi.eu Stable 9.1.4. Do you recommend me this version? I want a version WITHOUT issue.

Denfox, If you do a clean install (what I did after 3 days of upgrading) you will be amazed.... Totally suggest you to try 9.1.3/9.1.4