Vendor Rom? + Rooting?

gogglebot

Members
Jun 3, 2016
Hi all, first time posting here and first time Xiaomi user, this is gonna be a long post but I want to explain everything I've tried so far. I'm in the UK.

Yesterday I received my new Redmi note 3 Pro (The snapdragon version), bought it from Gearbest pretty happy with it, managed to root using KingRoot from the playstore (preinstalled.)

But firstly: I have a strange version number, MIUI v 7.1.99.99
What even is this? according to someone at XDA and somewhere else it's a weird vendor ROM? The locale settings don't even have the United Kingdom as an option, nor the USA or other EU countries?
I installed the Mi PC suite and this was able to pick up on my phone being connected, however it couldn't access any files (except through the native MTP+windows explorer) or perform a backup of the device.
Clicking "Update" just told me my phone was up to date.
Clicking the little arrow on "update" brought up "Flash" and "RFlash".
-RFlash eventually came up saying "Failed to read device information."
-Flash required me to boot the phone into Fastboot mode, this I was able to do. It then gave me options of some stable build (something like 7.2.8 (?) or along those lines) and a Beta build. I selected the stable build. It then told me the same message that Rflash told me.
useless.
What should I do? OTA updates don't seem to be a thing that work on the vendor build I believe from what I've read. And I would like those shiny updates [Pray for marshmallow!]

Secondly:
Given KingRoot's terrible permission manager I wanted to replace it with SuperSU,

Some time ago I rooted my Galaxy S3 with Kingo Root (read: not kingroot), I later replaced this fairly easily with SuperSU. To this day that phone is still rooted and working.

I found a script that would replace KingRoot with SuperSU, from w0lfdroid, (google search "replace kingroot with superSU", a few results down the list) after a few tries I got this to work without removing root at the same time. I eventually had root according to a root check tool. I installed Titanium Backup and that functioned normally and I backed up an app to test, all seemed well.

Except then today for some reason my root vanished. I opened TB and it told me it couldn't get root access. SuperSU told me there were no binaries and it was unable to install them...:confused::confused::confused:

I tried installing the Kingo Root app, (google search "Kingo Root", Firstly the .EXE from the website didn't want to run, so I tried the APK, this, eventually told me it had failed to root, tried it a few times and it still did not want to root my device.
I then tried the CNET download from the website for the Windows version. After a good few minutes of randomly jittering between percentages it told me that rooting had failed again. I tried twice more to no avail.
I have just managed to Root again using KingRoot 4.5.0. However I don't know if root will persist. I will test a reboot in a moment and find out. I used an older version because the new one added things to my lockscreen including adverts which was incredibly annoying.

I have heard about Supersu-me, however someone reported it entirely bricked their device, so I'm highly sceptical about using it.

Thankyou for any and all help! Treat me as a daft simpleton if you give me instructions please :confused::p

Random note: Cool, you're using Gravatar!

About the miui version, it is some custom miui made from the seller. That's why the numbers are so big.. So it won't find updates.

I would recommend to apply for a bootloader unlock permission, than unlock the bootloader, flash twrp and install xiaomi.eu rom, weekly or stable. Your life would be much easier if you do all that.

For how to, use google or go to xiaomi.eu.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

About the miui version, it is some custom miui made from the seller. That's why the numbers are so big.. So it won't find updates.

I would recommend to apply for a bootloader unlock permission, than unlock the bootloader, flash twrp and install xiaomi.eu rom, weekly or stable. Your life would be much easier if you do all that.

For how to, use google or go to xiaomi.eu.

I see, how do I apply for an unlock? I found a thread somewhere for doing it without an unlocked bootloader though perhaps the strange version would mess with this.

So it won't update OTA due to the version number being larger than anything currently available? So it assumes it has the newest update?
Would it be possible via root powers to make it think it's on a lower version so OTA will function?

Massively speculating here

Cheers for the info though!!:)

For bootloader unlock, link http://en.miui.com/unlock/

Yes this rom that you have it will never have a update. No matter what you do, even root. You need to flash some official rom, global or developer.

Or as i recommended, custom from xiaomi.eu. Like this one https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/6-5-26-last-miui-7.31811/

For how to flash, please search the net because it's too much writing and linking for me.. :) Cheers.

Reactions: gogglebot
For bootloader unlock ....

Yes this rom that you have it will never have a update. No matter what you do, even root. You need to flash some official rom, global or developer.

Or as i recommended, custom from xiaomieu. Like this one.

For how to flash, please search the net because it's too much writing and linking for me.. :) Cheers.

Thank you, I have applied for the unlock!

I will use the stable eu rom I think, just realised there is a pinned post here on how to flash a new ROM so it'll follow that.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Thank you, I have applied for the unlock!

I will use the stable eu rom I think, just realised there is a pinned post here on how to flash a new ROM so it'll follow that.

Thank you for your help!
Did you succeed with the procedure?
If not it`s worth noting that you can flash any official miui rom(dev or stable) without unlocking the bootloader
It`s relatively simple process: First enable developer options on your phone by tapping 7 times on miui version in about phone
Second enable usb debugging in dev options, connect to pc and allow debugging on phone
Third download and install latest miflash, search for it on en.miui forum
Forth find adb tools and reboot phone in edl mode by typing in command prompt from that folder "adb reboot edl"
And fifth flash desired(and downloaded) fastboot rom with miflash selecting flash all