[WEEKLY] Confirmed Issues & FAQ

Igor Eisberg

Patch/Mod Developer
Staff member
Oct 6, 2016
[x] = Fixed for the next release.
[ ] = Confirmed, investigation/fixing in progress.

[ 8.9.20 ]
[x] System: After ROM update - Apps being corrupted / "miui theme" FC glitch / black settings glitch.
[x] Themes: Search fails under Themes, Ringtones and Fonts tabs.
[x] App vault: Chinese shortcuts in edit mode.
[x] App vault: Battery History shows as "Moments" with a camera-like icon.
[x] App vault: "Business card" scan shortcut opens "QR code" scan instead.
[x] File Manager: UTF-8 encoding not working properly on Windows.
[x] POCO Launcher: "Home screen layout" (grid size) setting is missing.
[x] POCO Launcher: Unable to use "Hide apps" without setting a fingerprint.
[x] Mi Drop: Unable to uninstall Mi Drop via the launcher or the Play Store.
[ ] Instant apps: Visible on Play Store but opens browser instead.

[ 8.9.13 ]
[x] Settings: Notification settings crash when launched from a 3rd party app. (i.e. Gmail, Outlook)

[ 8.8.30 ]
[x] App vault: Xiao AI icon (microphone) showing in bottom-left corner.
[x] Security -> Cleaner: App crashes. [Android 6.0 only]

[ 8.8.23 ]
[x] Themes: Classic theme has missing icons.
[x] App vault: Crashes + Chinese settings + Chinese "recommended" card.
[x] Cell/Emergency broadcasts: The feature is missing. [Android 6.0 and 7.0 only]
[x] Security -> Cleaner: WhatsApp cleaner not working at all.
[x] Security -> Game speed booster: Chinese content.
[x] Camera: Filters are missing for front camera and Portrait mode (both front and back cameras).
[x] System UI: Stuck on empty screen with only wallpaper showing. [Android 6.0 only]
[x] Settings: Missing texts. [Redmi Note 3 SE only]
[x] App vault: Mi Fit not opening when Step counter is clicked.

Known Issues / Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Camera and/or sensors are not working! (Mi 8/Mi 8 SE/Mi 8 EE/Mi Note 3/Mi MIX 2S)
A: You wiped "Persist" partition using an unofficial TWRP build. You shouldn't have done that.
You'll now have to flash persist.img (that's inside "persist_*.zip" for your device) using the same unofficial TWRP build you used to wipe it.
Download persist.img: [ Mi 8 ] [ Mi 8 SE ] [ Mi 8 EE ] [ Mi Note 3 ] [ Mi MIX 2S ]
Q: The "Hide notch" setting is missing on Android 9.0 (MI 8/MIX 2S)!
A: You can't hide the notch on Android 9.0 based MIUI ROMs. This was explicitly disabled by Xiaomi. Don't report this issue to us.
Q: I can't use "Always on display" on my Mi Note 2!
A: Despite having an AMOLED display, Mi Note 2 doesn't support the "Always on display" feature. Don't report this issue to us.
Q: Vertical clock is not working on the lockscreen when there are notifications.
A: That's by design. The vertical clock leaves no room for notifications, hence it switches back to horizontal clock until you swipe away all of the notifications.
Q: Dual apps are showing when Dual apps feature was not enabled.
A: None of our modifications touch the Dual apps feature. Whatever this is you're having seems to be a glitch with MIUI itself. I would recommend a data wipe and a fresh install.
Q: There is a "Users" setting without an icon in Settings.
A: "Users" setting is not part of MIUI. Turn "MIUI optimizations" back on in Developer settings. There's no reason to disable this.Q: Settings options have a black background / A system app crashes with "You need to use miui theme" error.
A: An unusual theming bug on certain devices. Cases like these require a force-reinstall of these apps. The easiest way for you to do so is a factory reset.
Q: Weather app can't connect to the network!
A: Sometimes one of Xiaomi's weather data servers can have an extremely slow response time, so the connection times out. The server is randomly picked, so only a fraction of the users will encounter this issue. To solve this you can either wait until the server is stable again, or clear app data for Weather app and launch the app again in order to refresh the server list and use a different server for weather updates. If it still doesn't connect, it means that the same server was picked again, so you'll need to repeat the above until a responsive server is picked.

Oct 1, 2018
Hi everyone, I have a weird problem, I installed this rom for Mi 5X from stable China 9.6.2.0.
Everything works fine except the WIFI, after installing all the applications and configuring the mobile, the downloads become super slow (Google play, google chrome, youtube, miui cloud, spotify, etc) I have tried everything, and I have not found a solution , somebody could help me?

Igor Eisberg

Patch/Mod Developer
Staff member
Oct 6, 2016
Hello.
Google Photos detect my phone as Pixel, and i can't change the size / resolution of the uploaded photos.
Clean flash and using stock miui camera that comes with the rom.
I'm not sure if this is really a issue that's need to be fixed, since my photos got uploaded at max resolution without decreasing my storage size.
We're not Google Photos tech support though. Can't see why it would think that you have a Pixel phone.
Hi everyone, I have a weird problem, I installed this rom for Mi 5X from stable China 9.6.2.0.
Everything works fine except the WIFI, after installing all the applications and configuring the mobile, the downloads become super slow (Google play, google chrome, youtube, miui cloud, spotify, etc) I have tried everything, and I have not found a solution , somebody could help me?
Sounds too vague and I can't reproduce it on MI 5.

Oct 2, 2018
I don't know if this is the place to report a bug or should I just start a new thread. If so let me know.
My problem with my Pocophone (MIUI 8.9.20) is silent mode: If I set silent mode, vibration automatically activates (as per settings). If I unable vibration and disable silent mode it disables it, but then if I try to set it again it does set the phone to silent but doesn't show on quicksettings (icon doesn't turn blue), and also the icon does not disable silent mode again.
The bug is easier to reproduce if you go to settings and untick the "vibrate on silent" setting. If you try to set the phone to silent mode it will do it but the quicksettings icon will not show it and you can't turn silent mode off.

Oct 1, 2018
I have an issue, when bluetooth is on, the wifi becomes unstable and very slow download in google play, spotify, google chrome, etc.
Any fix? Thanks for read me.

Dec 2, 2017
Its a big issue, not a "vague" issue, some people need bluetooth turn on all day.. Please fix...

Search "wifi bluetooth usb3 interference" and you might find something.

This has been a known radio interference issue for some time, seems to have gone under the radar for most people.

Jul 7, 2018
Its a big issue, not a "vague" issue, some people need bluetooth turn on all day.. Please fix...
It's vague because there's no detailed reproduction steps and configuration information for developer to work with. It's like telling a garage to fix your car without even telling them what exactly happened or even what car you have.

If a developer doesn't have enough information to reproduce what you are seeing, they can't fix it. It's not magic.

Also. Vague means unclear or uncertain. Not small.

Igor Eisberg

Patch/Mod Developer
Staff member
Oct 6, 2016
It's vague because there's no detailed reproduction steps and configuration information for developer to work with. It's like telling a garage to fix your car without even telling them what exactly happened or even what car you have.

If a developer doesn't have enough information to reproduce what you are seeing, they can't fix it. It's not magic.

Also. Vague means unclear or uncertain. Not small.
Thank you. It seems a lot of people here struggle with English, and with using a dictionary.

Jul 18, 2014
[ 8.9.20 ] Mi Max 3. Clean install (all wipes).
In the settings for applications (WhatsApp, Telegram, Messaging) I disable "Floating messages", but they still appear. In the applications they are disabled.
And why are they still on the list of permissions?
Screenshot_2018-10-09-16-49-31-188_com.miui.securitycenter.png Screenshot_2018-10-09-16-49-50-621_com.android.settings.png

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018
8.9.20 on Mi Max 3. Clean flashed.

1. Android Auto doesn't seem to work consistently and is very slow to connect if at all. It takes about 5-10 minutes for it to connect if it works at all.
2. Any video chat application (Line, Skype, Google Duo) has the audio of me breaking up consistently (Video is very clear and stable), I can always hear the person on the other end just fine. Video quality looks good on both ends. Audio only calls work flawlessly however. (Using video chat apps or cell calls)

Side Note, Android Auto appeared to function correctly in 8.9.13, the Video Chat Microphone bug has been around since at least 8.8.9

Thanks for all the great work!

Last edited:

Igor Eisberg

Patch/Mod Developer
Staff member
Oct 6, 2016
[ 8.9.20 ] Mi Max 3. Clean install (all wipes).
In the settings for applications (WhatsApp, Telegram, Messaging) I disable "Floating messages", but they still appear. In the applications they are disabled.
And why are they still on the list of permissions?
Try setting Importance to Urgent and then disabling "Floating notifications".
"And why are they still on the list of permissions?" - pay no attention to this list. We use our own notification settings. This list is a relic of MIUI 9 that should have been removed on Oreo/Pie ROMs.

Jan 23, 2017
Hi,
I have weird problem after MIUI 10 update with Mi4C. Phone keeps turning my wlan on, while I have hotspot enabled. This keeps disconnecting hotspot.

I have turned everything off from settings, rejected all programs from running, restricted access to pretty much everything possible. Nothing helps. Dometimes it takes 5mins next time 3h but for sure it hits again.

Any ideas?
Tried 8.9.6 and now 8.9.13.

Apr 4, 2017
Hello.
Google Photos detect my phone as Pixel, and i can't change the size / resolution of the uploaded photos.
Clean flash and using stock miui camera that comes with the rom.
I'm not sure if this is really a issue that's need to be fixed, since my photos got uploaded at max resolution without decreasing my storage size.
I have the same issue... Its actualy a good thing... I guess its a google bug. Mi 5s 4/128

Oct 10, 2018
Hi,
I have weird problem after MIUI 10 update with Mi4C. Phone keeps turning my wlan on, while I have hotspot enabled. This keeps disconnecting hotspot.

I have turned everything off from settings, rejected all programs from running, restricted access to pretty much everything possible. Nothing helps. Dometimes it takes 5mins next time 3h but for sure it hits again.

Any ideas?
Tried 8.9.6 and now 8.9.13.
Go to setting/wlan/additional setting/wlan assistant = off

Jan 23, 2017
Go to setting/wlan/additional setting/wlan assistant = off
As I said all that done, yet happening. Also location blockked, from location, changed to GPS only and from permissions to maps ets. everything off and still switching from hotspot to wlan.

I have been using this phone since miui 7 (I think) for like 1.5 years, updating to developer almost weekly, went from Android 7.0 back to 5.1 when thought it was heating too much, changed battery, been helping people around here with updates etc. and never seen this behaviour before.

Ohh yeah FYI I have 100/100 4G connection, unlimited data, dont need wifi for anything else than tethering for comps, dont have saved wlans to join or anything like that. PC getting cut from web 20 times a day cause phone turns wifi on is bit frustrating, specially if gaming.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2017
As I said all that done, yet happening. Also location blockked, from location, changed to GPS only and from permissions to maps ets. everything off and still switching from hotspot to wlan.

I have been using this phone since miui 7 (I think) for like 1.5 years, updating to developer almost weekly, went from Android 7.0 back to 5.1 when thought it was heating too much, changed battery, been helping people around here with updates etc. and never seen this behaviour before.

Ohh yeah FYI I have 100/100 4G connection, unlimited data, dont need wifi for anything else than tethering for comps, dont have saved wlans to join or anything like that. PC getting cut from web 20 times a day cause phone turns wifi on is bit frustrating, specially if gaming.
Weird, my daughter's Redmi Note 4 running official global stable started doing this a few weeks ago, without any updates having been done.
I.e., wifi was always on and could not be turned off, hotspot could not be turned on

It was on an older version, don't remember which.

So I let it update to the latest official global stable MIUI 9 it could get via OTA, and the problem disappeared.

I have no explanation.