Welcome to the Mi Box forum

Jul 24, 2011
i am still on the fence about getting this device...not sure what it will really bring me over my current media server solution(Raspberrypi) What streaming services are available and do they work in north america?

but i support anything you do for us Mark if it was not for you we would almost be in the dark...xiaomi needs to step up for the international community.

Deft

Members
Apr 16, 2013
Cheers for starting this thread Mark, Much appreciated!

Right now it streams ICNTV, which is China's state broadcaster CCTV's IPTV service. I was surprised how much was on offer in the English language. Plenty of Hollywood movies, but very little in the way of TV shows, Animations and Documentaries in English. I doubt this will work without a VPN outside of China due to the licensing restrictions and everything being free. As someone who uses a VPN every day to escape the GFW I find a sort of perverse irony in the thought of people using a VPN to pretend to be behind the GFW, LoL.

Once we can install APK's from an external source, and the playstore and other markets it'll be grand. On the Chinese forums they were rooting the boxes, pushing over ES explorer and then installing apps via OTG USB drives. I could understand enough to know what they were doing but not how they were doing it.

I would also like to be able to get access to VPN settings, set up L2TP or PPTP, it's either that or getting a new router I can install my VPN on. iPlayer/Hulu/Vimeo/YouTube access from China is a bitch.

Hopefully later today we will get an update, I have my fingers crossed for options to select differnent audio tracks and subtitles for external media playback. That really needs to be a priority for Xiaomi. Otherwise need to get XBMC on it ASAP.

I also hope Xiaomi incorporate keyboard text entry from our phones via the MiLink app, Using the remote control to type isn't ideal.

Deft

Members
Apr 16, 2013
I found the root runthrough here: http://softbbs.zol.com.cn/1/13_1743.html

I found the MiBoxRoot.zip here : http://www.7po.com/thread-39760-1-1.html

There is a youku video which is very self explanatory. The rest of the thread has plenty of pictures, but my Chinese isnt good enough to translate where to get the blackrice update though.

I have to join the 7po.com site to get the root zip, which is always a bit of hassle so I'm going to get my GF on that and to translate the run through in full for me. I just woke her up to ask her, she wasn't too happy about that... lol

Apr 19, 2013
Hi, just got my Xiaomi Box yesterday but haven't gone though details yet. Has anyone tried to install apps from a hard drive ? I'll try that over the weekend... Also hope there could be an english translation soon and why not a rooted version ! :)
Will check this forum regularly,
Cheers.

IanK

Members
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks guys. I am a new user to the forum but have just ordered the hardware so hope to be able to contribute (location = UK). So will be also checking back for any updates :)

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
We've exposed the OTA server ip and JSON code.

We've got a bit of a way to go :) im sacrificing my hardware for you guys :p

Apr 22, 2013
jailbreak can also turn box into wireless router, watch live television not only from china but taiwan, south korea, japan according to chinese forums
looks like a promising device :)

Jan 26, 2013
Hey Guys,

Xiaomi Tv box and Mi Box are used for same thing?
is it connecting mobile to TV?
Would any one brief me on how we can use it ?

Aug 6, 2012
Xiaomi TV box is official name for Mi Box :) it is something like appletv, hovewer currently it supports only Chinesse. Guys here works on translation and root to bring it to all customers outside of China if Xiaomi does not want to. Thanks for the work guys! Very appreciated...

HaQi

Members
May 27, 2013
Does anyone know which channels are available on Mi Box.
Is there any of the channels are blocked for European countries?

Does Mi Box provide more contents than the popular TVPad (receiving channels from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong)?

HaQi

Members
May 27, 2013
Got my Mi Box (took only 4 days !!!). It looks fantastic!!!
Now I'm going to install English and try some other features!!!