Will Redmi Note 8 Pro get EU ROM?

isamwise

Members
Apr 29, 2019
Since the launch of the Redmi Note 8 Pro a few days ago, I've had this nagging question. Considering the fact that the Redmi Note 8 Pro is powered by a MediaTek Soc, is there still going to be an EU ROM for the phone. I'm considering buying it as a replacement for my still very active Note 5 (Whyred). I know the Note 8 (non-Pro) is powered by a Snapdragon chipset but the Pro version seems to pack a lot more punch than the non-pro version.
I hope this question is not against the rules. If it is, I apologise.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Edit: Typographical error.

Last edited:
Not sure bro. As far as I know is difficult to make a Rom for phones powered with Mediatek, cause they don't provide the source code, so the people can't work with it and make roms easily. They still have an option, but is making reverse engineering from machine language (0 and 1) to low level code (c, c++, java, etc) and this is too difficult to do.

Sorry for my english, english is not my first language.

Reactions: androik
Currently there are no plans to support Redmi Note 8 Pro. We might consider it if we somehow get hold of a device to test on, but otherwise it's not worth the headache blindly trying to fix support for it.

Reactions: isamwise
Its gonna be MediaTek phone it will cause lots of problems to devs that are gonna build custom ROMs. I would suggest skipping this one and wait for Note 9 or buy Note 7.

Currently there are no plans to support Redmi Note 8 Pro. We might consider it if we somehow get hold of a device to test on, but otherwise it's not worth the headache blindly trying to fix support for it.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll go for Mi 9T instead.

Not sure bro. As far as I know is difficult to make a Rom for phones powered with Mediatek, cause they don't provide the source code, so the people can't work with it and make roms easily. They still have an option, but is making reverse engineering from machine language (0 and 1) to low level code (c, c++, java, etc) and this is too difficult to do.

Sorry for my english, english is not my first language.
I have used a few MediaTek powered devices in the past and I had to learn to Port ROMs from other devices. But it's never the same as having access to the Kernel Source.

Its gonna be MediaTek phone it will cause lots of problems to devs that are gonna build custom ROMs. I would suggest skipping this one and wait for Note 9 or buy Note 7.
Thank you for your suggestion. Maybe I'll just increase my budget so I can get the Mi 9T.

Can do. Send to which address please?
Will you return the phone afterwards, or will it be "done" by then?

Cheers
Hehe, I think you missed the sarcasm here. I'm not interested in paying hundreds of dollars in Customs and then also paying a hefty sum for return shipping.

Hehe, I think you missed the sarcasm here. I'm not interested in paying hundreds of dollars in Customs and then also paying a hefty sum for return shipping.

True. However the phone would be shipped from France, so most probably no Customs issue.

True. However the phone would be shipped from France, so most probably no Customs issue.
Okay... Let me explain... Unless you, or anyone else, are willing to purchase the phone and DONATE it for development purposes, there's no way the devs can provide a ROM for the Note 8 Pro.

I hope I have answered your question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jodec and MeiGuddet
Actually the only reason I did not buy Note 8 Pro was MediaTek. Instead of Note 7 with SD 660, Note 7 Pro with 675 or Note 8 665 I bought a Realme Q with SD 712. None of them had better chipset except for Note 8 Pro but it has MT chipset so it's a no-go for me. Some good news at last. Xiaomi released kernel sources for Note 8 Pro so making an EU rom shouldn't be too difficult any longer.

Reactions: Jodec and iamme729
^ Yes but, the Redmi Note 8 Pro has better camera, battery and although the G90T is a Mediatek SOC is still the best Mediatek SOC right now and is much more powerful than the SD 712.

Xiaomi released kernel sources for Note 8 Pro so making an EU rom shouldn't be too difficult any longer.
Now is gonna happen or still no as long as you don't have the phone in your hands? Sorry I don't really know how you work.

PS: Anyone knows if is possible install the Global ROM in a *Chinese* Redmi Note 8 Pro? Where I can find the Global ROM for download?
I new to Xiaomi world and don't know where to find it's roms and so.

Last edited:
^ Yes but, the Redmi Note 8 Pro has better camera, battery and although the G90T is a Mediatek SOC is still the best Mediatek SOC right now and is much more powerful than the SD 712.

Now is gonna happen or still no as long as you don't have the phone in your hands? Sorry I don't really know how you work.

PS: Anyone knows if is possible install the Global ROM in a *Chinese* Redmi Note 8 Pro? Where I can find the Global ROM for download?
I new to Xiaomi world and don't know where to find it's roms and so.
Ask your question to OFFICIAL XIAOMI support forum. Here they ALL work, for free, at custom rom support.
Do you understand the little difference?

^ I know the "little" difference now, since this forum look and feel pretty official to me I did the cuestions, I don't knew that here only support custom roms until after reading more. Thanks anyway for the answer.

^ I know the "little" difference now, since this forum look and feel pretty official to me I did the cuestions, I don't knew that here only support custom roms until after reading more. Thanks anyway for the answer.
Fine.
Another very simple point to be caught:
- You need to unlock the bootloader first, before digging into the rom. At Mediatek they never open the door at ease. Here it is the new P 90 processor, it will take some weeks before that. previous P70 brother unlock has just been opened at REALME some month ago and not many usable custom rom are available yet.
Be patient, I sure you will get supported custom rom on this phone model in short time.

Reactions: Jodec
Not yet. I have to apply for it first, i hope i'll do it today at night.
It's not my first time: mi5splus, note 3 and redmi note 5

Enviado desde mi Mi Note 3 mediante Tapatalk
OK! Will XIAOMI provide the unlock access for this phone?
Do you have a working TWRP on the road?